Woman murdered in Surrey

dmankemper

Woman murdered in Surrey

Post by dmankemper »

Saw this on the news and was sickened by it. All respects to her and her family (especially her 14 yr old son). Please ladies be viligant in protecting yourselves until they find who's responsible. And please if and when they are caught, make examples of them with harsh sentences. What has our society come to, poor lady was just picking up her son from reffing. Spineless *bleep*, whoever you are.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Woman murdered in Surrey

Post by Always Sunny »

Any link as to what you're talking about?

I can only suspect you're referring to the woman attacked outside of the hockey arena. Horrible news, but every source I've seen so far, she's still alive.
dmankemper

Post by dmankemper »

Sorry jumped the gun referring to murder. Although the law is already treating it as such. They made indication that she is not expected to survive. I feel bad for improper wording and apologize for it, my emotions were high at the moment, my blood boiling. I am sick of these weasels preying on innocents.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

dmankemper wrote:Sorry jumped the gun referring to murder. Although the law is already treating it as such. They made indication that she is not expected to survive. I feel bad for improper wording and apologize for it, my emotions were high at the moment, my blood boiling. I am sick of these weasels preying on innocents.

no different than drunk driver killing a pedestrian etc. same as a actor gets killed in a car accident and all u people are all teary eyed? Well Iam not .To me there no better than the homeless guy that got murdered on skid row
I feel just as bad for that guy as if the queen died( actually way more)
Its not that have don't have sympathy for this poor women as I do, its just that people get killed everyday and I just don't get
more emotional on one person verses another as there all tragjic in their own way
Last edited by rvrepairnut on Dec 31st, 2013, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

rvrepairnut wrote:no different than drunk driver killing a pedestrian etc. same as a actor gets killed in a car accident and all u people are all teary eyed? Well Iam not .To me there no better than the homeless guy that got murdered on skid row

A mother is beaten within inches of her life in a completely random/unprovoked attack and that's what you have to say?

You're worse than garbage. Scum.
dmankemper

Post by dmankemper »

I know, right. Let's compare a woman picking up her son from hockey, to someone living on skid row, or a couple guys ratbagging a 600 HP car. Nice logic bud. Wth?
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

My son played at that rink about 2 weeks ago. My wife would have also been alone at some point parking the car. The difference between the two is simply timing.

But here is an interesting stat;

Surrey population 500,000 and 25 homicides
LA county population 10,000,000 and 585 homicides

If you do the math, there isn't much of a difference.
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

rvrepairnut wrote:no different than drunk driver killing a pedestrian etc. same as a actor gets killed in a car accident and all u people are all teary eyed? Well Iam not .To me there no better than the homeless guy that got murdered on skid row

SCUM x10! How someone could make such a heartless remark on a public forum sickens me. How would you feel if the woman was YOUR mom? I would say more, but that type of language would get me banned from the forums.
Last edited by Dave_1963 on Dec 30th, 2013, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

there is a suspicion that this is not a random attack, and actually there is a serial offender responsible.

here is a perspective from someone close to the situation.

The price to pay is far more than Newton residents should have to.
Posted on December 30, 2013 8:13 pm by Laila Yuile

My heart stopped at news today that a woman had been severely beaten in what appears to be an attempted robbery outside of the Newton Arena.
Foremost, my thoughts and prayers are with her, her family and her friends – this was a senseless crime that in my opinion, should never have occurred. While Surrey residents who do not live in Newton are passing this off as a random incident that could happen anywhere, both longtime residents and businesses in the area are outraged – but sadly none of us are surprised.
Both the RCMP and the city of Surrey have long been aware of the growing issues in Newton, which has suffered greatly as a direct result of the ongoing gentrification of Whalley and the northern portions of King George Boulevard, ( known as City Centre in recent years).

In news clips and reports today, both the Mayor and councillor Hepner declined to talk about the issues in Newton, saying it was a conversation for another day. With respect to them, and to the victim – it’s not. It is a conversation that must be had today and for very good reason – preventing further crimes in this high risk area.

It was June 2008 when after reaching a level of concern over the degradation of what was then my neighbourhood of Newton, I called CBC news to see if they would be interested in doing a story about the situation. After touring around in a van with Susana da Silva and her cameraman, the city was contacted for a response and was told by Mayor Watts that Newton had not been forgotten and that it was in fact, Newtons turn to be the focus.

The Newton Plan was unveiled at the June 16th council meeting and within a few short weeks following the story it was endorsed by council. A mural was painted on the Newton Rec centre building, planters were placed along 72nd avenue and well, we got some funky decorations for Christmas glamour.

Time passed – years in fact – and nothing else came to fruition. Back in 2008/2009 there were meetings – I attended a few that went no where – and that is where the Newton Plan ended.

The bus loop was never moved, and although it was recently redone, the lighting is terrible and it’s not a place you want to wait for a bus for alone after dark. Sometime, waiting alone during the day is bad enough. Crime continued to escalate in the Newton core and surrounding areas, reported to Block Watch captains, but rarely to the public.

I’ve been in receipt of many emails from the community policing contact in Newton and have shared the concern of the lack of reports to the public in different situations. A couple of years ago there were ongoing assaults and robberies in the Unwin Park area, yet the public wasn’t warned until many had happened. Same thing with the jewellery heists that were happening early this year- it wasn’t until a few occurred that RCMP warned the public.

I’ve written far too many times about the issues of Newton, the lack of security, the changes that could and should be made. The ice rink, the rec centre, the bank and the mall are all located around a treed area that while lovely to look at, is without a doubt welcome cover for criminals and drug related activity. The volunteer youth patrols do nothing to deter the drug and criminal activity. And the RCMP? Are quiet simply too overwhelmed to really make a dent.

Ironically, in 2012, the city started the Central Newton Cultural Commercial district in a mainly industrial area of west Newton http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/12125.aspx, which looks wonderful,grand and visionary… but once again leaves Newton Town Centre out in the cold!

This latest tragedy strikes close to home for many today. The victim is a mom, who was just going about her business being a mother and part of her community. It could have been anyone who uses the facilities. As contact and fellow Newton activist Jude Hannah told the Now today:

“We have been calling on the city to take action and this is absolutely the worst nightmare. And I feel so upset, I feel so angry, I’m so disappointed… This was what we feared would happen, and we warned them.”

The building that houses the ice rink, also houses a city operated pre-school, with a fenced in area where the children play out back – along side a deserted road where criminal activity happens constantly. Parents come and go to drop off their children, in the midst of the epicenter of Newton town core.

And while we all share our prayers for todays victim, let us not forget the first victim, and extend our prayers and healing to them as well. No one can say what would have happened had the RCMP reported that first assault ( which is reported to have shared similarities to this one, which makes me wonder how badly that victim was hurt) but I firmly believe a forewarned public is a forearmed one.

Newton isn’t just an un-fulfilled plan sitting in a file in cabinet at city hall, it’s a community of working families and businesses who were promised in 2008 that it was their turn to be the focus. They’ve been waiting ever since and they deserve better. They deserve to be safe when they take the bus to work or school. They deserve to be safe in their own workplaces, and they deserve to be safe in their homes and places of recreation.

Unfortunately, Newton has become the new Whalley, and Whalley’s Woes have become Newton’s Nightmares.

http://lailayuile.com/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Sorry A_Britishcolumbian...just because the attacker is a "serial" offender doesn't imply the attack wasn't random. A random attack refers to something that was unprovoked and served no specific purpose (i.e. not gang related, not a hit, not a domestic abuse incident).

In fact, many attacks, regardless of the severity are committed by someone who has done it before.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

dmankemper wrote:Saw this on the news and was sickened by it. All respects to her and her family (especially her 14 yr old son). Please ladies be viligant in protecting yourselves until they find who's responsible. And please if and when they are caught, make examples of them with harsh sentences. What has our society come to, poor lady was just picking up her son from reffing. Spineless *bleep*, whoever you are.

Make examples of them! In Canada? Fat chance. Before the slammers come out, I hope they do catch the scum and I wish we could blow them away. Again, fat chance of that happening. Condolences to all and to Rvrepair, your a effin waste of flesh!
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Always Sunny wrote:
In fact, many attacks, regardless of the severity are committed by someone who has done it before.

That's why I hate it when the courts are lenient for "First time offenders."

It is really just "First time getting caught."
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

here is the story i was thinking of when i suggested this was not random.

i still think if a serial offender, chooses a location, and repeatedly attacks a certain demographic, then it is not random.

i am going on information not published as well, i have family in the area and it has been suggested to me that there is a serial offender at work, apparently there have been other 'robberies' that have either gone unreported to the police or press, or both.

Woman not expected to survive after random attack in Newton
IHIT has been called in
News1130 Staff December 30, 2013

SURREY (NEWS1130) – A woman who was attacked in a random, unprovoked attack outside the Newton Arena is not expected to survive her injuries.

The 53-year-old woman, who a source tells News1130 is a hockey mom, was found unconscious in the parking lot of the arena around 9:30 last night.

Police say this attack was similar to another assault that happened December 16th in the same area.

The attack apparently happened when the woman was picking up or dropping off her son who was refereeing a game.

Karen is a team manager from Surrey minor hockey and knows the victim and her son. “This is absolutely horrific.. a mother with a young family. [It's an] unfortunate, horrible reminder that… people shouldn’t be leaving arenas on their own or even walk to their car [alone].”

Homicide investigators have taken over the case. No arrests have been made.

“IHIT is in the early stages of this investigation and this attack appears to be an unprovoked, random attack with a possible motive being robbery,” says Sgt. Adam MacIntosh of IHIT.

At last word, the victim was in Intensive Care at Surrey Memorial Hospital.

“Due to the circumstances of this tragic incident, we are asking the public to be extra vigilant,” says Surrey RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet. “It is important that people are aware of their surroundings when they are out and that they keep their valuables concealed. Walk with a friend whenever possible, particularly after dark.”

http://www.news1130.com/2013/12/30/ihit ... ec-centre/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:here is the story i was thinking of when i suggested this was not random.

i still think if a serial offender, chooses a location, and repeatedly attacks a certain demographic, then it is not random

“IHIT is in the early stages of this investigation and this attack appears to be an unprovoked, random attack with a possible motive being robbery,” says Sgt. Adam MacIntosh of IHIT

How much more can you contradict yourself in a single post?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

alwayssunny, i did not contradict myself, and i am certainly not looking to argue with anyone.

the article i posted, as with many articles i post, are others' words, not my own.

i am suggesting and of the belief that if an offender repeatedly choses a location and a demographic and a method, then it is simply not random. if you reflect back to laila's article you will see the police were slow to warn the public in a previous serial situation, and i believe that for whatever reason, the police are downplaying the likelihood of this instance being the work of a serial offender once again.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “B.C.”