Reason Kamloops paper closed?

westbankkid
Übergod

Reason Kamloops paper closed?

Post by westbankkid »

Looks like one of the reasons the Kamloops paper closed was the owners "GLACIER MEDIA" contracted their ad publication to the Phillipines and India. I would think twice about doing business with them if they would rather employ offshore rather than Canada.

Not good corporate citizens. Maybe it's time Harper put an import tax on the goods from all the countries that take Canadian jobs...

Just my opinion

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#106229
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Reason Kamloops paper closed????

Post by Captain Awesome »

Are you one of like seven people who still reads newspapers?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Captain Awesome wrote:Are you one of like seven people who still reads newspapers?

Actually I do enjoy reading my paper with breakfast...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Are there other newspapers in Kamloops? A weekly, perhaps? I wonder if the Kamloops Daily News thought about changing to a weekly rather than a daily. That would have cut some expenses.

Shame to see these older newspapers dying, though. I cut my teeth on printers' ink.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

http://www.glaciermedia.ca/advertisers/ ... h_columbia

Kamloops Daily News in the city name of Vernon. lol

Someone is out to lunch
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Newspaper readership has severely declined because of the availability of on line, on time news by more independent and (somewhat) unbiased reporting. Also, the effect of paywalls for online news (Vancouver Sun, Province and VTC, Groan and Wail) has not provided subscription revenue that it was promoted to do.

Real 'investigative journalism' by the people like Wasserman, Nichols, Mair, Bannerman and others of days gone by are few and far between. Pity.

Now it seems that 'journalists' need to pump out stories about lost cats, freezing weather, & other inanities instead of being given time to actually INVESTIGATE and detail stories... and even when some of them do latch onto something to hold government (provincial, municipal or otherwise) feet to the fire or other important news, the editors will dump the story for political reasons.

Enter the blogosphere. You can also get LOTS of information by catching tweets and twitters on the net... info that never sees the light of day in print media. But you need to read all that stuff and make up your own mind - and if some people 'stop reading...' when the subject matter does not conform to their firmly held ideological beliefs, they will remain narrow-minded and ignorant forever. Pity.
Chill
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

westbankkid wrote:Looks like one of the reasons the Kamloops paper closed was the owners "GLACIER MEDIA" contracted their ad publication to the Phillipines and India. I would think twice about doing business with them if they would rather employ offshore rather than Canada.

Not good corporate citizens. Maybe it's time Harper put an import tax on the goods from all the countries that take Canadian jobs...

Just my opinion

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#106229

Um, the reason the Kamloops paper and thousands of others like it closed is because nobody reads papers anymore. They contracted their ad publication out in order to save costs so they might be able to keep some papers operating and save some jobs.

To state that one of the reasons it closed is due to this contracting out is completely ignorant. (attention edit/censor happy mods....ignorant is not an insult, it's a fact).

You really need to understand what you read before you misinterpret and misrepresent what the article said.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Newspapers have been ceasing their printing for years ... more and more people are looking online for their daily news and gossip. I'm guilty of that as well, seeing that by the time the news hits the printers its already old news in the digital world.

I won't give up my printed books though, by gum!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

grammafreddy wrote:Are there other newspapers in Kamloops? A weekly, perhaps? I wonder if the Kamloops Daily News thought about changing to a weekly rather than a daily. That would have cut some expenses.

Shame to see these older newspapers dying, though. I cut my teeth on printers' ink.

Yes, Kamloops This Week comes out 3 or 4 times a week.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

tgm929 wrote:Um, the reason the Kamloops paper and thousands of others like it closed is because nobody reads papers anymore. They contracted their ad publication out in order to save costs so they might be able to keep some papers operating and save some jobs.

To state that one of the reasons it closed is due to this contracting out is completely ignorant. (attention edit/censor happy mods....ignorant is not an insult, it's a fact).

You really need to understand what you read before you misinterpret and misrepresent what the article said.

Maybe you should understand that companies like these, are one of the reasons for loss of jobs in Canada...Those and many other companies that moved jobs to India, Mexico, Phillipines, ETC. like Telus, TD Bank ETC. moving their call and Tech centers offshore with loss of jobs. There are hundreds more companies doing this.
C&J
Fledgling

Post by C&J »

westbankkid wrote:Maybe you should understand that companies like these, are one of the reasons for loss of jobs in Canada...Those and many other companies that moved jobs to India, Mexico, Phillipines, ETC. like Telus, TD Bank ETC. moving their call and Tech centers offshore with loss of jobs. There are hundreds more companies doing this.

Love when people complain about jobs going offshore, if the demand for the jobs here was there, then the jobs would stay. No-one would pay $10/month more on their cell phone bill to have the call centre in Canada. Nor would many people want to do the work for minimum wage.

Regarding the newspaper, they said the readership levels were actually quite high, and hadn't dropped that much. The issue was getting advertising revenue.
Jonrox

Re: Reason Kamloops paper closed?

Post by Jonrox »

Newspapers have been shutting down because of this thing called the internet. It's chock full of interesting news stories, videos, and pictures about current events. AND you can get all of this and more for free. It's pretty amazing.
C&J
Fledgling

Post by C&J »

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Newspapers+healthy+despite+Kamloops+Daily+News+closure+industry+spokesman+says/9355158/story.html

If I had a small business, I probably would put my money into online advertising before print media.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Are you one of like seven people who still reads newspapers?

westbankkid wrote:Actually I do enjoy reading my paper with breakfast...

Trust me that makes you the exception, and not the rule.

Papers are on the way out as they are little more than dinosaurs in the modern age.

There's no conspiracy involved kid, just modern era changes in how news is acquired.

Why the heck would I bother reading a newspaper that does nothing more than print stories I've already read on Castanet or other sites, before the paper was even printed?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Vernon Morning Star covers stories that online sources either miss entirely or don't cover for several days after the fact. Other cities might have different situations, however.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”