Education Realities in BC

rookie314
Übergod

Education Realities in BC

Post by rookie314 »

BC pays $5 million per day for an education system British Columbians cannot afford to use.
BC lends the least in student loans of any province in Canada despite our high cost of living and tuition.
The minimum cost for a year of study at UBC is $12,447.51 and the most you can borrow in a student loan s $10,880 ...leaving students at least $1,567.51 short
BC residents can no longer afford to go to school full time, in fact BC residents are the least likely to study full time in the country.
BC students have set the student debt record for North America despite having access to the least amount of loans
Food banks are now a common sight at university campuses
BC has Canada's highest youth unemployment rate
One in five British Columbians between the age of 25-29 are not working and not in school
Employers are forced to hire more temporary foreign workers because of the lack of skilled local employees
There has been a 50 per cent increase in welfare users among the 19-24 year old age group which costs the BC government over $408,000,000 per year

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/10 ... ty-theatre
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Education Realities in BC

Post by Rwede »

Realities? Nah, just blathering by the NDP that has been tuned out to the point that Eby spoke to an audience of 4 people.

The BS message of the NDP is appealing to virtually no one these days. You'd think they would pick up on that fact and change their message to something credible, but no, they won't.

This is ensuring that the BC Liberals have a slam dunk victory in 2017, 5th in a row.

NDP'S Eby speaks at empty theatre

by Carmen Weld - Story: 107182
Jan 23, 2014 / 6:35 am

Photo: Carmen Weld

Eby speaks to an empty theatre at UBCO

New Democrat advanced education critic David Eby visited Kelowna on Tuesday to speak to UBCO students about the problems they face, but only four students showed up.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

who paid for the loser clown Eby to travel to Kelowna to speak to these four students? As I read everyone whining about Harper being in Israel, I have to think why are taxpayers paying (it's the NDP so I just assume that they are billing it to the taxpayers via expense report) for some NDP bonehead to show up in Kelowna for absolutely no reason?
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

rookie314 wrote:BC pays $5 million per day for an education system British Columbians cannot afford to use.

British Columbians can't afford to use our education system? So is that why only 4 people showed up to this knucklehead's "lecture" - because only 4 people are going to UBCO right now?

BC lends the least in student loans of any province in Canada despite our high cost of living and tuition.

Is this true? And if true, what are the factors that lead to this? This is being presented as if the BC student loans people are some kind of ogres just sitting on a pile of money and refusing to lend it out. But what is the true story? I don't believe anything the bonehead NDP say, so therefore I want to see what the truth is here.

The minimum cost for a year of study at UBC is $12,447.51 and the most you can borrow in a student loan s $10,880 ...leaving students at least $1,567.51 short

So tuition is currently $6,223.74 per semester? Is that true? And why should the government lend out 100% of what a year of study costs? That's just stupid and ridiculous. If as an adult, you can't earn $1,567 per year then you have some problems.

BC residents can no longer afford to go to school full time, in fact BC residents are the least likely to study full time in the country.

Says who? This is just an absolute statement that sounds like complete crap to me. Also - why is it considered a "right" to "go to school full time"?

BC students have set the student debt record for North America despite having access to the least amount of loans

So in other words, some one needs to teach kids in BC how to budget. And take some personal responsibility for their personal spending situations.

Food banks are now a common sight at university campuses

So??? So is internet. So are pot smokers. So are leftist boneheads protesting nonsense. I just find it so stupid that because someone sets up a food bank, that MUST mean that a need exists that wasn't there before. If people can qualify they will use a food bank. What's the point here - that food banks shouldn't be set up?

One in five British Columbians between the age of 25-29 are not working and not in school

So then they should buy a bus ticket and move to Alberta. Or get a job. Or go to school/

There has been a 50 per cent increase in welfare users among the 19-24 year old age group which costs the BC government over $408,000,000 per year

If these people are able bodied, then they shouldn't be on welfare. They should go where there is work, instead of sitting on the government teat. And I highly doubt the $408 million number is close to accurate, given all the other lies on this list.
Not afraid to say "It".
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Eby and the NDP are lying.

BC has the 2nd HIGHEST university attainment in the country at 29% in 2012, led only by ON at 31%.

Canada 28

NF 19

PEI 23

NS 26

NB 18

PQ 26

ON 31

MB 23

SK 23

AB 25

BC 29

YT 25

NT 23

NU 15

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-582-x/2 ... .3-eng.htm
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This gives another picture: http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/mediaroom/facts.htm

University education was NEVER cheap. UBC has long been the most expensive, and is in the highest cost of living area. That's why when I went to university, I went to Simon Fraser.

Everything I check indicates that BC has favorably low costs compared to other provinces - except for Quebec.

There are lots of alternatives to UBC now. UNBC for example, is quite popular.

It isn't the tuition/books that make University hard to manage financially, it's trying to support yourself while going to university (rent, food etc.).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Post secondary education is definitely expensive, and even more so depending on which courses you choose. But I agree with Hobby Guy that the most expensive part is the cost of accommodation, food, transportation home for Christmas, etc.

That said, if we could get the cost of tuition down a bit, it would definitely help with the overall bill.

The way I see it, todays youth are our countries future. So it makes sense to make sure they are educated to fill the roles that will be needed once many of today's workers retire. Our current student loan system does nothing to target particular areas where our economy requires more professionals. Whereas a system that reduces fees on specific courses in areas where we are going to need more workers in the future, would benefit both the young people who need the work, and the industries who need the workers.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It never did, are people simply less capable?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

jimmy4321 wrote:It never did, are people simply less capable?

nope. Just way way way more entitled.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Merry wrote:
The way I see it, todays youth are our countries future. So it makes sense to make sure they are educated to fill the roles that will be needed once many of today's workers retire. Our current student loan system does nothing to target particular areas where our economy requires more professionals. Whereas a system that reduces fees on specific courses in areas where we are going to need more workers in the future, would benefit both the young people who need the work, and the industries who need the workers.

I agree Merry, but good luck with that. If the student loan program only started funding degrees that produced graduates needed by the economy, you'd have all of the psych, sociology and arts people (as well as education more than likely) out on the streets banging pots and crying about how the "Harper" agenda is causing less funding to go to useless degrees. There'd be court challenges costing millions somehow stating this funding bias is "unconstitutional" (paid for by taxpayers of course) as of course any time the Left doesn't get what it wants, it must be "unconstitutional", and those students taking useless degrees would bully and prevent those students taking actual worthwhile degrees from getting their educations, as we saw in Quebec when they were protesting having the lowest tuition rates in Canada. It's a worthwhile endeavor and worth talking about, but I'm afraid you'd run into the same hysterical nuttery that you see whenever anyone talks about reforming the massive sinkhole that is our health care system or talks about better ways to help get funding to Aboriginals who need it, vs the current system that doesn't seem to be doing that.

The answer is always: "More money" and not "how do we spend what we are currently bringing in more wisely".
Not afraid to say "It".
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Educated students are smart enough to see through the silly NDP rhetoric. Typical yearly tuition at UBCO is around $5,000. Compare that to the rest of North America and you'll see it's an extremely reasonable cost. Why wasn't Eby there congratulating the students on their decision to pursue post secondary education and how UBC is one of the highest rated University's in the world!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Merry wrote: Our current student loan system does nothing to target particular areas where our economy requires more professionals. Whereas a system that reduces fees on specific courses in areas where we are going to need more workers in the future, would benefit both the young people who need the work, and the industries who need the workers.

The challenge with this is trying to guess what areas of the economy to target as some of these areas don’t even exist yet. People today are already working in and at careers that didn’t exist even ten years ago. I know one thing for sure, and that is – the times; they are definitely changing and they are changing faster all the time. Whether we come up with some collective and cooperative solutions to the challenges coming down the road remains to be seen. As an individual, however, one of the greatest strengths a person could gain is the ability to think critically, adapt to change and be able to engage in continual learning. These are the skills future employers are going to be looking for more and more. In fact, they already are.

Training in a trade or specific skill may serve a young person well – assuming that trade or skill is still in demand ten or twenty years from now but there are certainly no guarantees of that (depending on the trade selected). Nor can one guarantee their physical abilities will keep up with the physical demands of certain trades over their working lifetime. A business diploma might open some doors, but many employers today want business grads to come with a degree that at least includes the liberal arts component earned in the first and second years. In an increasingly competitive global environment with rapidly changing circumstances it is the truly creative thinkers that are going to carve their own way or lead the way for others. These are going to be people with the people skills and the ability to work cooperatively within and in leading teams.

Clearly, all successful careers require critical thinking, teamwork, sensitivity to cultural, demographic, economic and societal differences and political perspectives. A liberal arts education provides this grounding. Most people will have six to 10 jobs during their careers, and liberal arts majors are the most adaptable to new circumstances. No one knows what the jobs of the future will be, but a liberal arts degree provides a great foundation for adjusting to new careers and further education. We do know that a third of all Fortune 500 CEOs have liberal arts degrees. For example, Leslie Moonves, who leads CBS, has a degree in Spanish from Bucknell University, and Howard Schultz, Starbucks' CEO, majored in communications at Northern Michigan.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-j- ... 47765.html

Workers with liberal arts bachelor’s degrees earn more at their career peak than those with professional or pre-professional undergraduate degrees, according to a new study. The report How Liberal Arts and Sciences Majors Fare in Employment was released today.

“The value of a degree in the liberal arts and sciences is one of the best kept secrets in higher education,” said Matt Bailey, Senior Director of External Relations at Centenary College of Louisiana. “Many institutions today offer preparation for starting a job in a particular field. At Centenary, we are preparing our graduates for success throughout their careers as they advance to their third or fourth or fifth job. A liberal arts education develops leaders who can overcome challenges, adapt to the changing world, and weather economic shifts to achieve career success over decades. So the findings of this study come as no surprise to us.”

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1695584#ixzz2rGpiBiPD

Anyone graduating with a Liberal Arts degree and unable to find work should not be looking at their major in study as an excuse. By the way, our current Prime Minister is a graduate of a Liberal Arts program.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was reading today that student debt load today is back down to where it was in 1992.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”