Don't risk being a designated driver

Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Don't risk being a designated driver

Post by Sn0man »

From the ICBC website:

Let's hear it for designated drivers! Those unsung heroes who choose not to drink so they can get their friends home safely.

You can promote safe driving and encourage your friends and family to make smart choices. Set a positive example and take your turn to be the designated driver.

What they forgot to add was "but don't expect us to insure you if you happen to get into an accident while being one of those unsung heroes."

A designated driver who was badly injured in a crash caused by her drunken passenger has been denied ICBC compensation, following a B.C. Supreme Court ruling on Monday.

In 2006, Marnetta Felix was driving her intoxicated boyfriend Kevin Hearne home from a soccer tournament when he grabbed the steering wheel from the passenger seat. The move caused the couple to crash on Highway 1 near the Peardonville Road overpass in Abbotsford. Hearne was killed and Felix was badly injured.

On Monday, a B.C. Supreme Court justice ruled in favour of the insurance firm because Felix was not covered by third party insurance. Unless she appeals and wins, she will receive nothing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2524907

ICBC - what a flipping joke.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Re: Don't risk being a designated driver

Post by rvrepairnut »

what if u have the ICBC personal injury insurance on your drivers licence @25$

BUT I still do not understand the ruling? what there saying is if u drive another persons car and u crash and are hurt u have no personal injury insurance which is totally insane
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What they are saying is that if the crash is a direct cause from one of the drunk passengers then you are not covered.

They want you to drive them home but don't want to pay if something goes wrong! Typical Insurance Company BS.

And for the Courts to go along with that thinking is BS as well.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Bsuds wrote:What they are saying is that if the crash is a direct cause from one of the drunk passengers then you are not covered.

They want you to drive them home but don't want to pay if something goes wrong! Typical Insurance Company BS.

And for the Courts to go along with that thinking is BS as well.

whatever happened to ICBC no fault insurance.This whole deal makes no sence. I wonder if the actual car damage was covered
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Marnetta Felix was driving her intoxicated boyfriend home when he grabbed the wheel and they crashed

I've not read the court case, but however this is in some ways no different then a impaired driver having a crash. He had momentary care and control. If he was alone and crashed, no insurance.

It does not make sense that she might be compensated for her injuries.

Edit-

Here is the link to the actual case... I will have to read it also.

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/20 ... XggAAAAAAE
abbyrugby

Post by abbyrugby »

How about this? If you're impaired and getting a ride home.............don't be a jackass and grab the wheel.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

this will make people less likely to want be dd , be prepared for more drunks on the road
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Have to use handcuffs and seatbelt them in back seat!

Oh,with a large paper bag over their head so they cant spit at you to distract you.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Ken7 wrote:
I've not read the court case, but however this is in some ways no different then a impaired driver having a crash. He had momentary care and control. If he was alone and crashed, no insurance.

This is much different. He wasn't driving - a designated driver was driving.

And when that designated driver got involved in an accident (in an insured vehicle) due to her passenger, instead of giving her compensation for her injuries, ICBC gave her the one finger salute.

Maybe you don't think that's wrong.

I think it's very wrong, immoral, and just what i'd expect from those scum suckers.

Last edited by Sn0man on Feb 7th, 2014, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

The fallout to this story was far reaching. The family (Hearnes wife and kids!!!) have never ever been the same. :-(((
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rvrepairnut wrote:whatever happened to ICBC no fault insurance.This whole deal makes no sence.

Exactly, welcome to ICBC, we're here to screw you!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Sn0man wrote:
This is much different. He wasn't driving - a designated driver was driving.

And when that designated driver got involved in an accident (in an insured vehicle) due to her passenger, instead of giving her compensation for her injuries, ICBC gave her the one finger salute.

Maybe you don't think that's wrong.

I think it's very wrong, immoral, and just what i'd expect from those scum suckers.

I do not agree with ICBC decision, I was trying to reason why they may have taken that stand.

Have you read the actual case?

It is long and boring, but interesting. I still feel she should be insured for her losses.
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

Interesting case. Wonder if the driver can get enough of the $791,950 awarded from from the estate of her passenger who grabbed the wheel to at least pay her court costs? Sounds like this may be doubtful as she sued ICBC in an attempt to have the award paid by the passenger's ICBC insurance.

Am guessing the legal costs to the driver for the court case with ICBC to be at least $50,000 as she would have to pay part of ICBC's legal costs also.

As for its impact on designated drivers...as the saying goes.....”In some environments no good deed goes unpunished.”
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

How come no one in the media is asking Christie about this? I know, no comment, not my department.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I see everyone is slagging on ICBC again for this one.

My question is: if the vehicle had been insured by a private insurance company would the end result have been any different?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “B.C.”