White Rock RCMP trigger happy?

goatboy
Guru

Re: White Rock RCMP trigger happy?

Post by goatboy »

WhatThe wrote:It is not inaccurate. And before trying to discredit me with convolution and poor grammar, perhaps you'll look at the paper and see those breakdowns. The simple fact remains. One is more likely to die in BC from police contact than anywhere else in Canada. It is a disturbing trend across Canada.

You should also add that you are also more likely to die from drug/alcohol overdose than anything else, which really has nothing to do with police conduct and because of the high drug use in the Downtown Eastside, probably skewers the statistics. Just comparing straight up % of deaths per capita does not tell the real story.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Treblehook wrote:It has been said that "statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to say". I don't doubt the veracity of that statement. For example: I have read a statistic that said significantly more than 50% of all prescriptions for medical marihuana [in Canada] were written for residents of British Columbia. Is that statistic correctly interpreted to mean that there are significantly more people in British Columbia who suffer from conditions that are treated through smoking pot; or, would the correct interpretation be there are significantly more people in BC who seek out physicians who will prescribe marihuana to treat a variety of medical conditions? It appears to me that you have simply opted to use the statistical report you presented to support your position that there are a disproportionate number of people dying in BC due to police violence. In order to do that you should present validated statistics specific to deaths directly attributed to police use of force. As I see it, you haven't. I am not suggesting there has been a marked attempt to mislead us here, but think we might all be served better if more effort were put into analyzing and interpreting the material you present. Finally, could you define police initiated deaths? Would that perhaps include the police shooting of an armed suspect who refuses to drop a weapon while advancing on the officers? And would that include all of those police shootings where an independent body has found no fault with the police actions?

In the interests of credibility, I concede your point. My terminology was incorrect to a wide degree saying "police violence"using the BCCLA paper. I did not mean to use that paper as a means to support my contention that police violence is on the increase, though through my observation it is, but rather to suggest that since one is more likely to be killed while interacting with police in bc that the pendulum swings in favour of "trigger happy" than a "good shoot". There is no doubting there is something amiss within E division and municipal forces when looking at the hard numbers provided by the BCCLA paper
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Treblehook wrote:It has been said that "statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to say". I don't doubt the veracity of that statement. For example: I have read a statistic that said significantly more than 50% of all prescriptions for medical marihuana [in Canada] were written for residents of British Columbia. Is that statistic correctly interpreted to mean that there are significantly more people in British Columbia who suffer from conditions that are treated through smoking pot; or, would the correct interpretation be there are significantly more people in BC who seek out physicians who will prescribe marihuana to treat a variety of medical conditions? It appears to me that you have simply opted to use the statistical report you presented to support your position that there are a disproportionate number of people dying in BC due to police violence. In order to do that you should present validated statistics specific to deaths directly attributed to police use of force. As I see it, you haven't. I am not suggesting there has been a marked attempt to mislead us here, but think we might all be served better if more effort were put into analyzing and interpreting the material you present. Finally, could you define police initiated deaths? Would that perhaps include the police shooting of an armed suspect who refuses to drop a weapon while advancing on the officers? And would that include all of those police shootings where an independent body has found no fault with the police actions?

WhatThe wrote:In the interests of credibility, I concede your point. My terminology was incorrect to a wide degree saying "police violence"using the BCCLA paper. I did not mean to use that paper as a means to support my contention that police violence is on the increase, though through my observation it is, but rather to suggest that since one is more likely to be killed while interacting with police in bc that the pendulum swings in favour of "trigger happy" than a "good shoot". There is no doubting there is something amiss within E division and municipal forces when looking at the hard numbers provided by the BCCLA paper

I disagree that there the frequency of these incidents is "on the increase". From what I have seen quite the opposite is true. Was has increased, however, is the reporting of the incidents that do occur. Both internal and external reporting.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

WhatThe wrote: I did not mean to use that paper as a means to support my contention that police violence is on the increase, though through my observation it is, but rather to suggest that since one is more likely to be killed while interacting with police in bc that the pendulum swings in favour of "trigger happy" than a "good shoot".

Once again, you're wrong. The pure % statistics say that the instance of death during police contact is higher in BC and the majority of these deaths are caused by them overdosing. That is completely different than "one is more likely to be killed while interacting with police in BC".
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

In the interests of credibility, I concede your point. My terminology was incorrect to a wide degree saying "police violence"using the BCCLA paper. I did not mean to use that paper as a means to support my contention that police violence is on the increase, though through my observation it is, but rather to suggest that since one is more likely to be killed while interacting with police in bc that the pendulum swings in favour of "trigger happy" than a "good shoot". There is no doubting there is something amiss within E division and municipal forces when looking at the hard numbers provided by the BCCLA paper

You now seem to support your contention about police violence in BC with the old it seems to me statements. You are certainly entitled to your personal perception on these matters. The investigation into the White Rock incident is not complete, so it is premature to include this incident as evidence of your contention.. don't you think. Unless [of course] you are comfortable condemning the police action before you know all of the facts.

Return to “B.C.”