BC Ferries

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC Ferries

Post by I Think »

But it costs very little more to ferry a car than to ferry the space for the car.
Reducing the fares will increase the incremental costs slightly and will increase cash flow and profitability.
Many many people your hero included just do not go to the Island anymore.
We're lost but we're making good time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

When each Ferry cost millions, how long does it take break even. How many Ferry's are in the fleet.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Build a bridge
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

IMO a bridge is difficult to envision given the distances, one would have to drive to get to the bridge from the population centers.
But if BC Ferries used standard business practices they could increase ridership very easily, thus improving profitability and lowering fares.
Instead they stick their heads deep in the sand and figure the only way to increase profits is to increase fares, which lowers ridership, which lowers profitability, which causes them to raise fares again. Round and round it goes,
where it stops nobody knows.
We're lost but we're making good time.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

The future is suspended floating tunnels.
http://www.cfox.com/2016/07/14/the-futu ... g-tunnels/
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

sooperphreek wrote:The future is suspended floating tunnels.
http://www.cfox.com/2016/07/14/the-futu ... g-tunnels/

The part of report that caught my attention is hi-lighted below.
Norway is still trying to figure out exactly how safe these thing will be…but if they do sort it out

before starting to build something its good to know how safe it is. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

But if a bridge is built, people besides NDP supporters might move to the Island...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

its funny. i lived on the island for years. and this ndp prevalence wasnt as pronounced as mentioned.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Ah, you lived on the Island for many years? That 'splains it.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

There's multiple ferry routes. http://www.bcferries.com/files/images/maps/bcf-all_routes_map.pdf

Are you suggesting we replace all of those with a bridge or a tunnel? Seems rather expensive.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

you ever take a ferry trip to the island? so is that
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

sooperphreek wrote:you ever take a ferry trip to the island? so is that

I gather by "the island" you refer to Vancouver Island, and not Gabriola, Bowen, Pender, Mayne, Saturna, Salt Spring, Galiano, Gabriola, Thetis or Penelekut islands (all of which are serviced by BC Ferries).

Yes, I do take ferry trips to the island. Yes, it's pricey. I don't think a bridge (or a tunnel) will be any cheaper. The Confederation Bridge is only 13 KM in length, cost 1.3 billion, and has a $48 toll to use - that's in addition to the tax dollars used to maintain the structure.

I'm fairly certain a bridge or a tunnel from Tswassen to Victoria will be significantly more expensive to build, and a significantly more expensive toll.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

We can thank Hahn for increasing the cost of refurbishing the Ferries and ferry fares in order to accommodate what his vision of what tourists 'wanted' - luxury experiences as opposed to what ordinary citizens needed - a reasonable transport system from/to various places (Victoria, Nanaimo, Gulf Islands). We also have to consider the enormous salaries that the ferry system 'managers' suck out of BC Ferries. Washington State runs very successful ferry fleets that serve more riders at half the costs we bear.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:We can thank Hahn for increasing the cost of refurbishing the Ferries and ferry fares in order to accommodate what his vision of what tourists 'wanted' - luxury experiences as opposed to what ordinary citizens needed - a reasonable transport system from/to various places (Victoria, Nanaimo, Gulf Islands). We also have to consider the enormous salaries that the ferry system 'managers' suck out of BC Ferries. Washington State runs very successful ferry fleets that serve more riders at half the costs we bear.
I actually agree with some of what you say here . . . but . . . you should also mention what BC Ferry Corporation CEO Mike Corrigan had to say on the issue:

Staffing was also an issue, noted Mr. Corrigan. Transport Canada forces BC Ferries to carry abnormally large amounts of crew. While a 2000-passenger Washington State Ferry can take to the sea with only 14 crewmembers, a similar-sized B.C. Ferry will carry 48 staff.
Full article: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... neighbours

So point to the salaries of 'managers' if you like, and that well may be part of the problem, and point to our ferries being too nice, and on that I agree with you, but tell the whole story. People should read the entire article that I linked. Corrigan made some other good points as well.

Return to “B.C.”