Living Out Of Country And Keeping BC Healthcare

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Living Out Of Country And Keeping BC Healthcare

Post by Hmmm »

steven lloyd wrote:That just doesn't make sense, as health care costs are far more affordable in a number of warm, sunny countries with quality of health care being just as good (if not better in being more readily accessible). I can appreciate the comfort in familiarity factor but researching health care costs and health care quality in countries such as Panama and Ecuador (as just a couple of examples) will be enlightening. I have been researching retiring out of country for some time now and was curious about my ability to reapply for BC Medical if and when I do return, but I won’t pay BC medical premiums living out of country when the research has shown I can get just as good as care at a far more affordable rate in the country I choose to reside (in modern hospitals with English-speaking doctors trained at American universities). Do the research and see for yourself.
I would be willing to look into that. I just haven't yet. Good to know though.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

To prove Canadian residency for 180 days of the year, a quick look at your passport will tell them the whole story......
Chill
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Hmmm, interesting. I might have to call them up and clear it up. I am planning on traveling extensively once I get closer to my 40's, but I don't want to lose our health coverage. I'm sure they've run into people like this and would be able to advise accordingly.
You can apply for some type of exception for sure. Hopefully you'll get what you need. Maybe tell them its for education purposes, after all travelling is educational. I've learned how to order beer in many languages as one example. Also how to ask where the washroom is.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hmmm wrote:You can apply for some type of exception for sure. Hopefully you'll get what you need.

It just doesn't make sense, if you think about it.

Let's say I leave Canada and go to Europe for few months, then jump to Antartica, and finish up by playing a round of golf with Steven Lloyd in Ecuador. While my travel insurance will cover emergencies, it won't cover any long term illnesses. I'm not going to be in any of these countries long enough to be able to gain residency and become elegible for a health plan. But say I'm gone for over 6 months, all of a sudden I have no coverage at all? Just doesn't sound right.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

flamingfingers wrote:To prove Canadian residency for 180 days of the year, a quick look at your passport will tell them the whole story......

I don't recall the US border people doing anything with my passport, beyond a quick glance, whilst crossing to the US, so how would the passport tell them anything?

The last time I went on a cruise, I was in several different jurisdictions yet my passport only received one stamp.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:The last time I went on a cruise, I was in several different jurisdictions yet my passport only received one stamp.

Every time We have crossed the Border whether by car or plane our passports have been scanned.
By Customs, coming and going, by the Airlines (boarding every flight), by the Cruise lines and by most countries when you enter.

I don't thing the Gov't has any issues finding out how long or when you are away.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:Every time We have crossed the Border whether by car or plane our passports have been scanned.
By Customs, coming and going, by the Airlines (boarding every flight), by the Cruise lines and by most countries when you enter.

I don't thing the Gov't has any issues finding out how long or when you are away.

OK fair enough, I just figured there'd be some sort of documentation in the actual passport.

So how would the government know where I am and for how long, if I cross with just my drivers license?

BTW the last time I went down to Wenatchee (last summer) with a couple of my kids, nothing was scanned, the guy simply asked where we were going and waved us through.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

I believe you need more than just your driver's license to get into the USA these days- at least the last three years. You can get an enhanced license but it is pretty much the same procedure as getting a passport.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

danmartin wrote:I believe you need more than just your driver's license to get into the USA these days- at least the last three years. You can get an enhanced license but it is pretty much the same procedure as getting a passport.

You're right and everything is scanned and entered in a database. It's been a long time since they didn't know who came and went. They can check by plate number as well (if you're in a vehicle).
When you wave your enhanced DL at the scanner prior to the booth, when you get to the booth they know all your details, without seeing anything.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

LoneWolf_53"][quote="flamingfingers"]To prove Canadian residency for 180 days of the year, a quick look at your passport will tell them the whole story
I don't recall the US border people doing anything with my passport, beyond a quick glance, whilst crossing to the US, so how would the passport tell them anything?

when u pass into the us its duely noted in the computer and so is when u return to Canada.If the MSP want to they can check u out at the US federal level to see when u left Canada and the CDN federal level to see when u returned but it takes a long time for them to do so
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

my5cents wrote:You're right and everything is scanned and entered in a database. It's been a long time since they didn't know who came and went.

The only problem is that they're not allowed to share the information with other govt branches, and that includes provincial health authorities. If the case went to trial, they can probably subpoena these records, but it's not like IHS employee would be able to look it up on his computer.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

My5Cents says quote:
MSP does have investigators. I wouldn't want to chance financial ruin on the premise that one of these "dorks" didn't find out you were gone.
When you are out of the province, and are claiming you were in the province :
- Phone
- Rent
- Car insurance
- Credit card purchases
- Border records
- Income Tax records
- Bank Records
"Now Mr Jones, I'm sure you lived in BC for the last three years but we have some concerns, to help us prove you were in BC as you say, we'll need you to provide us with releases for information for the following agencies, otherwise we will be denying you claim and launching a law suit to recover your recent medical payments. I'm sure you will want to help us clear up this matter."

yes I agree and that's how they would find out but unless you caused them concern what would be the chance of them picking you out of a phone book and quizzing you about MSP up and asking you these questions/??
For what reason? they don't do random checks on people for no reason.So if I paid my premiums and stayed out of the radar
they would have no reason to suspect you nor would they know to talk to you as there would be no red flag?
Last edited by rvrepairnut on Feb 10th, 2014, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

If the BC gov. decides to check on this when people have been seriously ill( cost them a lot of money) and find they were not eligible for BC healthcare, they can and will come at you for the money. I have no idea if they already do this but if YOU and I know people do this all the time you can bet they know it too.

I have asked people in person about this, including those who are out of the country most of the time and don't qualify for insurance anymore and most had no idea they weren't qualified. I was in the same boat a while back ago but fortunately I didn't need health care at the time.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Hmmm wrote:If the BC gov. decides to check on this when people have been seriously ill( cost them a lot of money) and find they were not eligible for BC healthcare, they can and will come at you for the money. I have no idea if they already do this but if YOU and I know people do this all the time you can bet they know it too.

I have asked people in person about this, including those who are out of the country most of the time and don't qualify for insurance anymore and most had no idea they weren't qualified. I was in the same boat a while back ago but fortunately I didn't need health care at the time.

agreed 100% its possible but one seldom sees accountability requirement when one has a big medical expence
seen many people go in hospital and have major surgerys and sickness etc and have never ever seen or heard of a person questioned about the residency requirements
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

From the MSP website

Studying Outside British Columbia

If you leave B.C. temporarily to attend school or university, you may be eligible for MSP coverage for the duration of your studies, provided you are in full-time attendance at a recognized educational facility.
Beneficiaries who have been studying outside B.C. must return to the province by the end of the month following the month in which studies are completed. If you do not plan to return to B.C. within that timeframe, contact Health Insurance BC to discuss your situation.

I would think that in the case mentioned in the original post, that they would be covered.

Return to “B.C.”