Living Out Of Country And Keeping BC Healthcare

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Living Out Of Country And Keeping BC Healthcare

Post by Hmmm »

I was listening to a radio talk show (CBC I think). The person was talking about going to university in California and was there for nine months and was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to move back to BC.

Does anybody else but me realize you have to actually live as in physically present in BC for six months a year in order to keep your health care? Yes you can get an exception if you apply for it, but who really does that?

How many Canadians live elsewhere and keep paying for BC Health care and then come back when sick? I would not suggest not helping them but unless they did apply for an exception to live out of province they are breaking the law and could be billed for the health care.

I bring this up because this person admitted matter of fact that she did that. What are your thoughts on this? Am I wrong and it is not against the law? I hope so because I would love to keep my health care and live elsewhere for a year or two.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Living Out Of Country And Keeping BC Healthcare

Post by steven lloyd »

Did you know that some countries have health care plans that are not only far more affordable than BC, Canada and the US, but offer care in modernly equipped hospitals and clinics by English speaking doctors trained at American universities?

http://www.encuentra24.com/content/pana ... -in-panama

http://panama.angloinfo.com/healthcare/

http://internationalliving.com/2013/05/ ... -overseas/

http://www.captivatingcuenca.com/health ... YDGF9.dpuf

http://www.captivatingcuenca.com/health ... uenca.html
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hmmm wrote:I was listening to a radio talk show (CBC I think). The person was talking about going to university in California and was there for nine months and was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to move back to BC.

Does anybody else but me realize you have to actually live as in physically present in BC for six months a year in order to keep your health care? Yes you can get an exception if you apply for it, but who really does that?

How many Canadians live elsewhere and keep paying for BC Health care and then come back when sick? I would not suggest not helping them but unless they did apply for an exception to live out of province they are breaking the law and could be billed for the health care.

I bring this up because this person admitted matter of fact that she did that. What are your thoughts on this? Am I wrong and it is not against the law? I hope so because I would love to keep my health care and live elsewhere for a year or two.

It looks like it depends if she did certain things.

From the MSP Web Site:

To qualify for MSP coverage, an individual must be a resident of British Columbia. A resident is a person who:
    •is a citizen of Canada or is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence,
    •makes his or her home in B.C., and
    •is physically present in B.C. for
    ◦at least six months in a calendar year, or
    ◦a shorter prescribed period*,

and includes a person who is deemed under the regulations to be a resident but does not include a tourist or visitor to British Columbia.

*Note: Effective January 1, 2013, eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year.

Certain other individuals, such as some holders of study and/or work permits, or working permits on working holiday programs — which are issued under the federal Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and are valid for a period of six or more months — may be deemed residents.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

5cents, I am curious if you know what would happen if a person left to live in another country and was gone a few years and then came back. Do you know if they could get back on BC Medical Assistance and what would they have to do?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the wait period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the wait period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben ... tml#enroll
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

steven lloyd wrote:5cents, I am curious if you know what would happen if a person left to live in another country and was gone a few years and then came back. Do you know if they could get back on BC Medical Assistance and what would they have to do?

I'm not sure of the exact criteria but I lived in the US for 3 years (a long time ago) and I believe you just need to be back for 6 months to become eligible again. I don't recall any problems at the time.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Here's a brochure that seems to have most of the answers.

oneh2obabe seems to have the correct info.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben ... ochure.pdf
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

steven lloyd wrote:5cents, I am curious if you know what would happen if a person left to live in another country and was gone a few years and then came back. Do you know if they could get back on BC Medical Assistance and what would they have to do?

You have to wait 3 months and then u reapply assuming your a legal resident of Canada.The big hole in the system is if u keep a address and always pay your premium all the time your gone there is no way these dorks that run MSP know your not in BC. I know a guy in Vernon whom worked in china and the usa for years but had a Vernon residence.He had a heart attack in usa and came to back Vernon for free treatment even though legaly he did not qualify but MSP were none the wiser as they had kept up their premiums
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

rvrepairnut wrote:You have to wait 3 months and then u reapply assuming your a legal resident of Canada.The big hole in the system is if u keep a address and always pay your premium all the time your gone there is no way these dorks that run MSP know your not in BC. I know a guy in Vernon whom worked in china and the usa for years but had a Vernon residence.He had a heart attack in usa and came to back Vernon for free treatment even though legaly he did not qualify but MSP were none the wiser as they had kept up their premiums

MSP does have investigators. I wouldn't want to chance financial ruin on the premise that one of these "dorks" didn't find out you were gone.

When you are out of the province, and are claiming you were in the province :
- Phone
- Rent
- Car insurance
- Credit card purchases
- Border records
- Income Tax records
- Bank Records

"Now Mr Jones, I'm sure you lived in BC for the last three years but we have some concerns, to help us prove you were in BC as you say, we'll need you to provide us with releases for information for the following agencies, otherwise we will be denying you claim and launching a law suit to recover your recent medical payments. I'm sure you will want to help us clear up this matter."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rvrepairnut wrote:The big hole in the system is if u keep a address and always pay your premium all the time your gone there is no way these dorks that run MSP know your not in BC.

What difference does it make whether or not you're living here? If you pay into the system by paying MSP then you can use it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
What difference does it make whether or not you're living here? If you pay into the system by paying MSP then you can use it.

I'd say the rest of the persons in the plan are paying for non-residents. Think of it this way, if the cost was $100k it is picked up by those who reside here. What brings these sick people back is illness.

Why wouldn't someone from Saskatchewan keep their FREE health card... it comes back to the same thing. Wouldn't it be a SOB if you played the game and they then charged you for all costs, or better yet fraud.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Ken7 wrote:I'd say the rest of the persons in the plan are paying for non-residents. Think of it this way, if the cost was $100k it is picked up by those who reside here.

Yes, but I'm talking about somebody who still pays his MSP premiums.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Captain Awesome wrote:
The difference is its illegal. I didn't make the laws but it is the law. I WOULD live in a nice sunny place most of my life if it wasn't for the health care costs. Yes I could commit fraud and keep an address here and continue to pay but I would be a criminal.

I think that most people do not know the law and keep paying as you suggested or maybe they do, I don't really know. I do know that the border guards swipe your passport when entering the country and visa versa. I think if the government wanted to crack down on this, they could go back in time and review peoples records and come at them for reimbursement.

I bought this topic up because I am sure lots of people are using the system when they're sick that live out of country pretty much permanently.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hmmm wrote: I WOULD live in a nice sunny place most of my life if it wasn't for the health care costs.

That just doesn't make sense, as health care costs are far more affordable in a number of warm, sunny countries with quality of health care being just as good (if not better in being more readily accessible). I can appreciate the comfort in familiarity factor but researching health care costs and health care quality in countries such as Panama and Ecuador (as just a couple of examples) will be enlightening. I have been researching retiring out of country for some time now and was curious about my ability to reapply for BC Medical if and when I do return, but I won’t pay BC medical premiums living out of country when the research has shown I can get just as good as care at a far more affordable rate in the country I choose to reside (in modern hospitals with English-speaking doctors trained at American universities). Do the research and see for yourself.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Hmmm wrote:Yes I could commit fraud and keep an address here and continue to pay but I would be a criminal.

Hmmm, interesting. I might have to call them up and clear it up. I am planning on traveling extensively once I get closer to my 40's, but I don't want to lose our health coverage. I'm sure they've run into people like this and would be able to advise accordingly.

Return to “B.C.”