Feds Reject Billion Dollar Mine

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Feds Reject Billion Dollar Mine

Post by Smurf »

I did some checking and apparently Wal-Mart did at one time take out secret life insurance policies on every employee. Apparently there was actually a law suit before they stopped doing it. I would assume because it was a secret (only six states allow employers to buy life insurance on employees without telling them) but again not sure about that one and am not interested enough to worry any more about it. However based on what you have been telling me RW that would mean they are very valuable employees and therefore should be paid a decent salary. Would you not agree if they are valuable enough to require life insurance to as you say "mitigate the cost to the company" they should be paid accordingly. Yes I know of executive insurance but in my mind that is totally different than insurance on a cashier or stock person. I also would assume you tell your management that you are buying policies and the reasons why. Yes I understand WCB I have paid for lots of it for employees.

No rvrepairnut I was thinking more of Wal-Mart service employees in general that I have dealt with in Vancouver, Kelowna, Vernon, Victoria, Alberta, Saskatchewan and throughout about 9 states in the past 8 months. Some of the service was so bad that I complained to the company. If you ever do that you will notice a disclaimer on their site that due to the huge volume of complaints they will not answer any complaints. HMMM I wonder why they get soooo many complaints. I'd really like to talk to a few companies like Kal Tire and see if they have similar problems.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

$12 an hour employees that give you $12 an hour in value plus a reasonable return on investment are certainly valuable employees.

$25 an hour unionized bums that work at 40% efficiency, not so much.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Good answer. Exactly what I have come to expect from you. I thought we were actually attempting to discuss something. Guess I should have know better.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Rwede wrote:$12 an hour employees that give you $12 an hour in value plus a reasonable return on investment are certainly valuable employees.

$25 an hour unionized bums that work at 40% efficiency, not so much.

say it ain,t true (haha)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Walmart pays their employees according to the value those employees provide their employer. Kal tire also pays their employees according to the value those employees bring their employer. The pay scale models are identical.

The reason the guy installing 6' tall tires on a skidder in a snowstorm makes more than the old fella that puts a green sticky tag on your shopping bag is because the tire guy is far more skilled and works in far more dangerous and adverse conditions, thus bringing far more value to his employer by installing that $5,000 tire.

Why does this concept escape you? How many people would sign up to wrestle huge tires in a snowstorm when for the same pay they could put little green stickers on shopping bags in a warm Walmart?

It's baffling that some people think that an employer should pay employees far more than the value they can bring. If you bring me $12 of value an hour and I pay you $30 an hour, how long are we both going to have an income?

its apparent you have no clue how to change a tire on a skidder lol, walmart pays more than 12 in canada in fact i know ppl at walmart that make more than some kal tire employees
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote: walmart pays more than 12 in canada in fact i know ppl at walmart that make more than some kal tire employees

What a brilliant observation. There are also people working for McDonald's that make more than some Kal Tire employee's. I can also say with certainty that they are not the ones asking me if I would like some ketchup for the fries.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

What does all this chat about Walmart etc. have to do with the subject of this thread?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Trying to compare a pipeline being developed with a mine being developed is like comparing horses with rheostat variables. There is absolutely no way to compare them. Let alone arrive at the conclusion that if the pipeline is considered viable then the mine must also be viable.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Mar 10 - 16, 2014
Editorial: Curtain closes on New Prosperity

The firm denial by the federal government on environmental grounds of Taseko
Mines' proposed New Prosperity open-pit gold-copper mine near Williams Lake,
B.C., wasn't a surprise to many in the market, as evidenced by most analysts
having already ascribed little or no value to the project after the previous
mine-plan rejection, and Taseko shares' muted reaction in subsequent trading
in late February.

More specifically, Leona Aglukkaq, the federal environment minister
responsible for the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, concluded that
the 70,000-tonne-per-day New Prosperity mine project "is likely to cause
significant adverse environmental effects that cannot be mitigated. The
governor in council has determined that those effects are not justified in
the circumstances. Therefore, the project may not proceed."

It was surprising that Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke directly of New
Prosperity during an unscheduled visit to the Prospectors & Developers
Association of Canada convention in Toronto, where the generally
pro-development leader memorably described the ministry's New Prosperity
report as "damning." (It was the first PDAC appearance by a Canadian prime
minister, and he sat before a limited crowd for a question-and-answer
session with incoming PDAC president Rodney Thomas.)

Harper further commented that the report stated "very clearly that the
project, as previously and presently conceived, would not address the
long-term destruction of [the local water resources] . . . our experts said
they could see no proposed plausible mitigation measures for that."

He emphasized that the project is "also in an area where there are
unresolved land-claim issues, and local aboriginal groups . . . do not
approve of the project."

This second rejection of New Prosperity closes a long, contentious chapter
in B.C. mining history characterized by one of the more passionate
anti-mining campaigns seen in Canadian mining in recent decades. The
effectiveness of the opposition campaign by First Nations, environmental and
other groups in the face of a determined mining company supported by a
pro-business provincial government speaks to the growing power and
organizing ability of aboriginal and affiliated groups in Western Canada.

(As an example of Taseko's strong-arm tactics, when we ran a single op-ed
letter by a local First Nations leader explaining why the community was
against the New Prosperity plan, Taseko threatened us by saying it would
contact its suppliers and get them to boycott advertising in our paper.)

This dispute was foremost about who has power. For Taseko to focus -- as it
says it is doing -- on appealing the decision on the narrow grounds of
whether or not a proposed lining is permeable is missing the broader point:
local people with growing political power didn't want the mine there, so
it's not going to happen.

And this is by no means a sign that B.C. is turning against mining, as
within a few days of the New Prosperity decision Imperial Metals landed
substantial debt financing to finish building its large Red Chris open-pit
copper-gold mine in the province's remote northwest, and junior Banks Island
Gold was issued an underground mining permit for its Yellow Giant gold
property on Banks Island on B.C.'s coast, allowing commercial production at
a 200-tonne-per-day rate.

The federal government had a larger presence than usual at the PDAC
conference, with Harper, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver and Foreign
Affairs Minister John Baird all making speaking appearances.

While there were no new policy announcements, the trio underscored the
support the Conservative government has provided mining and mineral
exploration in Canada, and it's safe to say the industry appreciates it.

The list of federal government initiatives supporting Canadian miners
announced in past months include: extension of the "flow-though" mineral
exploration tax credit for another year; a commitment to maintaining low
corporate taxes; a vow to speed up permit application processes and download
major project approvals to the provincial level; and continued efforts to
expand global markets and open up domestic investment to foreign countries
in commodities such as uranium.

As for the tightening of regulations, the federal government has already
vowed to curtail abuses of the foreign temporary worker program and force
Canadian mining companies to be more open about payments exceeding $100,000
made to foreign governments.

http://www.northernminer.com/news/edito ... 002949269/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Taseko aims to prove in court that Ottawa was wrong to reject $1.5B B.C. mine

VANCOUVER — A mining company that has filed two Federal Court applications against the federal government over the rejection of a $1.5-billion mine in B.C. now wants a full trial.

Taseko Mines (TSX:TKO) spokesman Brian Battison says the company has filed an application asking that both applications be set for a single trial, which he said would give the company greater access to legal tools as it attempts to argue the federal government’s decisions were unfair.

Earlier this year, the government cited the potential impact on a lake considered sacred by area First Nations in rejecting the New Prosperity mine, which is located about 125 kilometres southwest of Williams Lake, B.C.

Taseko first filed an application challenging a report written by a review panel with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, and then filed a second application once the government turned down the project.

The Tsilhqot’in nations say they’re looking forward to getting into the courtroom as Taseko fights for the largest undeveloped gold and copper deposit in Canada.

In June, the Tsilhqot’in won a decades-long court case that recognized their aboriginal title over 1,750 square kilometres of territory west of Williams Lake in a case unrelated to the mine.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Imperial Metals says it has signed an agreement with the Tahltan Central Council that will see the company pay for an outside engineering firm, chosen by the band, to review the Red Chris tailings facility.
The company says it has agreed to respond to any issues identified by the review.

A group of Tahltan members known as the Klabona Keepers had started a blockade of the Red Chris site in response to the Mount Polley spill, but a spokeswoman for the group says the blockade has ended with the new agreement

if you want to dance, pick the right tune :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/mount ... -1.2747567
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Talking about employees, anyone interested in hiring the group of potential employees depicted in the above photo?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Talking about employees, anyone interested in hiring the group of potential employees depicted in the above photo?

Return to “B.C.”