Feds Reject Billion Dollar Mine

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Feds Reject Billion Dollar Mine

Post by grammafreddy »

I need a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

grammafreddy wrote:I need a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley.

We need to petition Jo.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

its prolly better than your running a lemonade stand lol
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I know where you're coming from RW but I was actually thinking of the whole world. If everyone was at the same level it would work. They could use some of the money that would have previously been profit for training, environment etc.. If things keep going there is a possibility that this will happen. In the back of my mind I keep wondering how long we can keep up the huge profits without putting more money back into things like training. Actually we would be better off to spend money on training locals and keep the dollars here. I think almost every construction camp I worked in even back in the 70's had a high number of people sending every penny out of the country. We would be a lot better off using Canadians and keeping the money here to support the economy. Although I'm sure the righties would like to keep their cheap out of country labor, profits high and who cares where the money goes.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Profits don't go to training and environment. Expenses go to training and environment.

Environment is by and large legislated upon companies, so it's hardly a discretionary expenditure, if that's what you were trying to get at.

Likewise, any company that wants to be around for the longer term recognizes the value of training, and invests in those needs. In fact, training has become one of the highest motivators for employee satisfaction (read: retention) and with current and looming labour shortages, training is one of the biggest programs companies are investing in.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually we have the perfect example of a company that is doing well and also doing the right things like training for their employees. I am talking about Kal Tire. They just started a new training facility in Vernon. They have avoided unions by treating their employees fairly. They are doing great financially , world wide growth etc.. I knew Tom Foord and was very impressed by him both as a business man and a person. It can be done and all the whining and crying that everyone will leave if they can't make billions is basically just that whining and crying. Time for business to step up and be good corporate citizens like Kal Tire. Wal-Mart started out good but has grown out of hand and is now just another greedy corporation.

I realize environment is usually legislated, thank God, because you know as well as I do it wouldn't be done if it wasn't. It was the companies that brought that one on themselves.

I owned business's, did all my own books and only went to an accountant for approval. I understand expenses. What I said was take some of the profits and put them into these things. Yes they would then be expenses. If they are not done as we have been discussing earlier they are nothing.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I agree with you smurf, Kal Tire is the model free enterprisers should be following if they want a successful private company.

Walmart's not greedy, Walmart is just providing consumers a choice that many are embracing.

Don't confuse success with greed.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I agree with you smurf, Kal Tire is the model free enterprisers should be following if they want a successful private company.

Then why don't more free enterprisers follow that lead? Wallmart for example could follow that example, pay their employees a living wage and still profit while eliminating the stigma of being a greedy corporation that needs donations of food from fellow employees in order to feed other employees.
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

No Wal-Mart are attracting people by using low prices. They are doing that on the backs of their employees and suppliers. Yes they are successful, but they are definitely not good corporate citizens. They have grown so big that those on the top have no connection with the bottom and their only objective is to make as much money as possible and the heck with anyone they hurt on the way. That is not good business. That is business run amuck. It has become an excellent example of why we require unions and laws regarding environment, safety, workers rights etc.. If business could govern themselves like Kal Tire we wouldn't have a need for all those things. This mine and the way they are trying to do things sound like another perfect example of why we need these controls. Had they proposed something sensible first time around it would probably have been approved.

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:Then why don't more free enterprisers follow that lead? Wallmart for example could follow that example, pay their employees a living wage and still profit while eliminating the stigma of being a greedy corporation that needs donations of food from fellow employees in order to feed other employees.

Walmart pays their employees according to the value those employees provide their employer. Kal tire also pays their employees according to the value those employees bring their employer. The pay scale models are identical.

The reason the guy installing 6' tall tires on a skidder in a snowstorm makes more than the old fella that puts a green sticky tag on your shopping bag is because the tire guy is far more skilled and works in far more dangerous and adverse conditions, thus bringing far more value to his employer by installing that $5,000 tire.

Why does this concept escape you? How many people would sign up to wrestle huge tires in a snowstorm when for the same pay they could put little green stickers on shopping bags in a warm Walmart?

It's baffling that some people think that an employer should pay employees far more than the value they can bring. If you bring me $12 of value an hour and I pay you $30 an hour, how long are we both going to have an income?
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Smurf wrote:No Wal-Mart are attracting people by using low prices. They are doing that on the backs of their employees and suppliers. Yes they are successful, but they are definitely not good corporate citizens. They have grown so big that those on the top have no connection with the bottom and their only objective is to make as much money as possible and the heck with anyone they hurt on the way. That is not good business. That is business run amuck. It has become an excellent example of why we require unions and laws regarding environment, safety, workers rights etc.. If business could govern themselves like Kal Tire we wouldn't have a need for all those things. This mine and the way they are trying to do things sound like another perfect example of why we need these controls. Had they proposed something sensible first time around it would probably have been approved.

Smurf well said for a commie but this is North America and we have what we call the capitol system here.
A person is paid according to the complexness and difficulty of the job at hand and the training one needs to complete the job. Hence wallmart workers are paid according to that job of which none of the above are required.
Second off we need less control not more because the more the feds control and Indians alike are allowed to control the less likely we will prosper in events of this nature
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Most Wallmart jobs other than managers etc are designed for income supplement of existing working familys and retired or semi retired people on other pentions.If you come to the point where you need walmart to exist on then one needs to look at their own failures in life and not be blaming the wallmarts of the world
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Do you guys know anything about Wal-Mart? It is not only the salary that they pay but the way they work your hours. Split shifts, short hours, you name it all to cut the majority of employees out of any benefits. I have even heard rumors (Never confirmed them) that they take out some sort of insurance policy on employees payable to the company. They are just plain not a company anyone really wants to work for. They are not even in the same ballpark as Kal Tire. Yes there are different working conditions but you also have to remember where Wal-Mart would be without cashiers or people stocking their shelves. They do have a real value to the company and should be treated fairly. I was in business more than once and would never have treated employees like that. I also made good money in business's that weren't that great. Good employees treated properly are your greatest asset. Lately you can go into Wal-Mart and see the results of the way they treat their employees.

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Smurf wrote:Do you guys know anything about Wal-Mart? It is not only the salary that they pay but the way they work your hours. Split shifts, short hours, you name it all to cut the majority of employees out of any benefits. I have even heard rumors (Never confirmed them) that they take out some sort of insurance policy on employees payable to the company. They are just plain not a company anyone really wants to work for. They are not even in the same ballpark as Kal Tire. Yes there are different working conditions but you also have to remember where Wal-Mart would be without cashiers or people stocking their shelves. They do have a real value to the company and should be treated fairly. I was in business more than once and would never have treated employees like that. I also made good money in business's that weren't that great. Good employees treated properly are your greatest asset. Lately you can go into Wal-Mart and see the results of the way they treat their employees.

you make it sound like every time a worker shows up at walmart for work in Vernon they receive 10 lashes and bread and water for lunch. I know a couple of people whom work for walmart in Vernon and they love their job and are happy to be working. maybe there are two sets of walmarts in Vernon?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Smurf wrote:I have even heard rumors (Never confirmed them) that they take out some sort of insurance policy on employees payable to the company.

That's what happens when you work in the trenches all your life, you just never get to understand how large corporations actually work.

We have insurance policies on all our senior managers. If something tragic happens to one of them (God forbid), we are able to mitigate the cost to the company with insurance until we find someone that can replace them, and to help cover the cost of recruitment, temporary coverage, and signing bonuses.

Every company has insurance known as WCB premiums on all their employees as well.

It's just business, and smart business, to insure your most valuable assets, namely your people.

Return to “B.C.”