Teachers vote on three-step strike plan

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Teachers vote on three-step strike plan

Post by rvrepairnut »

can anyone enlighten me as to the reason the teachers are trying to cause strike action again??
they already get paid fabulous wages and the benefits are to die for.?? super easy and clean working conditions.
To me there just typical pigs at the trough same as all the others
ubcstudent063

Re: Teachers vote on three-step strike plan

Post by ubcstudent063 »

To see such a statement as teachers have a super easy and clean work environment leads me to believe some people have absolutely NO idea what many teachers actually do on a daily basis.

It seems to me that on top of being educators (which is what they are paid for), teachers have been forced into taking on the role of social worker, counsellor, disciplinarian and parent. Many teachers spend a lot of their own time giving extra instruction to students after class as well as leading various clubs and sports teams. They do this because they care about the students.

From what I gather, the last contract the teachers signed was only for one year and it expired at the end of the last school year. The BC Supreme Court passed legislation (twice now) that it was unconstitutional for the government to strip teachers of bargaining rights for class size and composition. No teacher that I have talked to wants to strike, the goal seems to be putting pressure on the government to deliver a fair and realistic deal. I do not have children yet, but when I do I want them to be educated by a teacher who wants to fight to provide my child the best learning environment possible.

Sure I think teachers make a good wage and have good benefits. I certainly don’t think they make the amazingly fabulous wages some people seem to think they do. Personally, I have great respect for teachers and what they do. I think it can be a thankless job and it isn’t a job that I would want. Of course this is all IMHO.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/What+does+teachers+strike+vote+mean/9588607/story.html
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe first, the union is asking their membership to confirm that they are in agreement with what they are doing. I think that is much better than just bulldozing ahead and doing things the membership doesn't want.

Secondly I believe if you check the rules of the game, the union cannot legally strike if there is an agreement or if there is a legislated agreement. If they vote now and have the strike vote approved then they can legally take action later if they feel it is necessary. They are just being properly prepared. It does not mean they have a strike planned. Hopefully they wait till further into negotiations to do that. But with more and more proof coming out about how the government has been bargaining in bad faith and how long the negotiations have gone on you couldn't blame them if they are getting tired of beating their heads against the wall.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

It's because of money. Yes, they cite other issues but in the end it all boils down to cash. Just like every time. Teachers already make very good salaries considering the amount they work. Many people have to work more than 8 hours a day with no extra compensation (me for instance) and don't complain about it and many don't get great benefits packages. So IHO here is what I think should happen:
Give the teachers what they want. In exchange, move all Pro D days to summer, move spring break back to 1 week (Teachers don't get it off but get to catch up or do more training, etc), create programs for teachers to become better teacher throughout the rest of the summer, give them ample time to fine tune the curriculum during the summer, give them regular stat holidays off and 2 weeks a year increasing 1 week every 5 years up to 6 a year.

That sounds awfully ....normal.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

bigchef wrote:It's because of money. Yes, they cite other issues but in the end it all boils down to cash. Just like every time. Teachers already make very good salaries considering the amount they work. Many people have to work more than 8 hours a day with no extra compensation (me for instance) and don't complain about it and many don't get great benefits packages. So IHO here is what I think should happen:
Give the teachers what they want. In exchange, move all Pro D days to summer, move spring break back to 1 week (Teachers don't get it off but get to catch up or do more training, etc), create programs for teachers to become better teacher throughout the rest of the summer, give them ample time to fine tune the curriculum during the summer, give them regular stat holidays off and 2 weeks a year increasing 1 week every 5 years up to 6 a year.

oh u conservative right wing beast you.how dare you make a teacher teach during golf season!!!! and actually have to work
11 months of the year like the rest of us. on a serious note those pro days are pure lunacy at best
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

** Memo to Jim Iker; The '70's are over.**

Is it too much to expect the head of a group of "professionals" to look professional?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Rotating strikes next week. Teachers will have shutdown schools in SD23 next Tuesday May 27
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Crazy Horse wrote:** Memo to Jim Iker; The '70's are over.**

Is it too much to expect the head of a group of "professionals" to look professional?

lol exactly what I thought...I hippy radical!

Anyways my Sister is a Teacher...She is so mad about the strikes....She Finds that the wage is great and benifits are great...so she voted no...which was one of the few that voted against the union...What she complains about is the union fees she has to pay, All the raise does is line the pockets of the union boss'
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

rvrepairnut wrote:can anyone enlighten me as to the reason the teachers are trying to cause strike action again??
they already get paid fabulous wages and the benefits are to die for.?? super easy and clean working conditions.
To me there just typical pigs at the trough same as all the others

If its such a sweet deal, why don't you do it?
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

bigchef wrote:It's because of money. Yes, they cite other issues but in the end it all boils down to cash. Just like every time. Teachers already make very good salaries considering the amount they work. Many people have to work more than 8 hours a day with no extra compensation (me for instance) and don't complain about it and many don't get great benefits packages. So IHO here is what I think should happen:

And then pay them for what they actually work. Whoops, problem right there.
GT500

Post by GT500 »

Maybe the kids on Wednesday should go to school go straight to the gym and refuse to go to class and let the teachers know that they are not supportive of there job action. The thatchers get slit of what the rest don't get. 2 months off in the summer. 2 weeks off at Christmas break. 2 weeks off for spring break plus all the other holidays and sick days they take when they need to do something else. What other occupation gets all of these benefits then pay for radio commercials to complain that they are so hard done by. Sorry you don't get my vote. Do the job you chose or find something else.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Once upon a time I thought that teaching would be a good profession to move into.
Then I discovered that teachers were the only humans throughout history that are loathed by the general population more than politicians or War Criminals.

My mother worked as a TOC while I was growing up, and I can assure you that teachers do not work only 6 hours a day. My mother spent her "free time" creating assignments, grading papers, reading reports, scheduling activities and more. Weekends didn't mean a day off work, it just meant a day not at the office.

There's also the matter of the years of education necessary to get into that occupation.

Even with the summer break, it's a pretty sad argument that teachers don't work as hard as other occupations. This statement is more a representation of ignorance than anything
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

GT500 wrote:Maybe the kids on Wednesday should go to school go straight to the gym and refuse to go to class and let the teachers know that they are not supportive of there job action. The thatchers get slit of what the rest don't get. 2 months off in the summer. 2 weeks off at Christmas break. 2 weeks off for spring break plus all the other holidays and sick days they take when they need to do something else. What other occupation gets all of these benefits then pay for radio commercials to complain that they are so hard done by. Sorry you don't get my vote. Do the job you chose or find something else.

How about TFW's, save a ton of cash. You also don't know if the kids support or don't support the teachers. Maybe your right they should move on, and then you could do it if it's such a sweet job.
GT500

Post by GT500 »

How about TFW's, save a ton of cash. You also don't know if the kids support or don't support the teachers. Maybe your right they should move on, and then you could do it if it's such a sweet job.[/quote]

Your right I don't know the opinions of the kids. But I do know the job of being a teacher has changed some over the years and the amount they do is becoming less and less. I went to school in the 80's and early 90's and feel that the teachers were more there for the students now seems like more for the benefits. When I was in school I never went through any strike action, teachers supervised all breaks and were in the field before and after school. Pd days were for training( today not so much. I know a teacher and it is just a suggestion for training ). Teachers also had control of the students unlike today. Kids were held accountable for there actions unlike today. Kids could test there limits in school unlike today.

A school that our kids went to in Edmonton had a rule the all the specific grade teachers were to get together and plan the year and courses unlike so many that do it individually. If a child had a problem and had a friend in a different class try could still work on it together after school because they were working on the same thing. Not like this in the school that they are in today. Each teacher plans out there year and are on there own schedule. That sounds like an awful lit of extra work and waisted time to me. Teachers need to get on the same page and work as a team to be more effective and check the ego at the door.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

ubcstudent063 wrote:
It seems to me that on top of being educators (which is what they are paid for), teachers have been forced into taking on the role of social worker, counsellor, disciplinarian and parent. Many teachers spend a lot of their own time giving extra instruction to students after class as well as leading various clubs and sports teams. They do this because they care about the students.

I agree. Many good teachers deserve to be compensated well and rewarded for their extra effort. We all know of teachers who arrange trips, coach teams, and genuinely care about their students. We all know of teachers who.... well, don't. My kids, and now grand-kids have thrived with the good ones and suffered the bad ones. Not surprisingly, the difference is astounding. It's unfortunate that the union rewards teachers based on their length of tenure - not on their effort. Just as in private enterprise - a blanket increase for all is not the answer; it won't satisfy some, and those giving the extra effort may eventually wonder 'why?'.

Return to “Social Concerns”