Guru

Invasive Mussels

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#111380

Infested 'Mussel' boat
by Deborah Pfeiffer | Story: 111380 - Mar 20, 2014 / 7:16 am
Be the first to comment

Photo: Contributed
On the evening of March 12, a Canada Customs official notified the BC Conservation Officer service that they found what looked like zebra and/or quagga mussels on a large pleasure-craft boat being transported from the U.S., across the Osoyoos border.

The Canadian Border Services Agency currently has no legislative authority to refuse entry, however, the commercial transporter was cooperative.

With only three conservation officers based in Penticton, CSBA called the province's toll-free emergency response (RAPP) line.

Conservation officers were able to bring in a decontamination unit to decontaminate the vessel the following day.

The boat, which originated from Texas, was headed to the Central Okanagan to be moored in Okanagan Lake.

The Okanagan Basin Water Board has been urging the federal government to pass legislation, that is pending, that will allow border guards to stop and inspect watercraft and prohibit entry of contaminated vessels.

Does this mean he could have proceeded without cooperating and put his boat in the lake, which could change the economy and ruin the lake for many... legally? I've heard of a lot of ridiculous things you cannot bring over the border, but something so destructive is okay? Seems quite a bit past insane.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Invasive Mussels

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

zzontar wrote:Does this mean he could have proceeded without cooperating and put his boat in the lake, which could change the economy and ruin the lake for many... legally? I've heard of a lot of ridiculous things you cannot bring over the border, but something so destructive is okay? Seems quite a bit past insane.

That aptly describes our society in many aspects.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

If you could eat these little suckers - sushi, soup, chowder, they would be gone in no time!!
Chill
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

zzontar wrote:
Does this mean he could have proceeded without cooperating and put his boat in the lake, which could change the economy and ruin the lake for many... legally? I've heard of a lot of ridiculous things you cannot bring over the border, but something so destructive is okay? Seems quite a bit past insane.

No, it means CBSA has no jurisdiction to stop the boat from entering Canada, but if the owner then put said boat in the lake he is breaking the law and could face big fines.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

goatboy wrote:No, it means CBSA has no jurisdiction to stop the boat from entering Canada, but if the owner then put said boat in the lake he is breaking the law and could face big fines.

In other words, the law can do nothing about someone introducing them to the lake, but can lay charges after the damage has been done... brilliant. I don't think any fine would make up for the damage and the estimated $43 million bucks to clean the lake each year if they were introduced.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Seems like it's time to talk to your MP and maybe a few famous people who bought $M homes on the lake. Maybe Christy should jump on this one, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

goatboy wrote:No, it means CBSA has no jurisdiction to stop the boat from entering Canada, but if the owner then put said boat in the lake he is breaking the law and could face big fines.

zzontar wrote:In other words, the law can do nothing about someone introducing them to the lake, but can lay charges after the damage has been done... brilliant. I don't think any fine would make up for the damage and the estimated $43 million bucks to clean the lake each year if they were introduced.

LOL. Try and go across the border with a piece of fruit though and see what happens.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And what if that boat's destination had been Osoyoos Lake on the US side?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The Zebra Mussel is a "on the radar" invasive species in alot of places.

Including Texas, where this boat was from.

http://texasinvasives.org/zebramussels/

Possession or transportation of zebra mussels in Texas is a Class C misdemeanor for the first offence, punishable by a fine of up to $500. Repeat offenses can be elevated to a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, jail time up to 180 days, or both.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/ministri ... ssels.html

There is nothing to prevent anyone from bringing these things into Lake Okanagan coming from Ontario or Manitoba.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

That's not how I read it:

In December 2012, the provincial government amended the Controlled Alien Species Regulation to further restrict non-native species.

No invasive zebra or quagga mussel, alive or dead, is allowed to remain on boats or related equipment. Failure to clean mussels off boats or equipment could result in a fine of up to $100,000.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Yeah, they're all over the great lakes. My folks lived on the shore of Lake Erie for years, and the change was amazing. (not necessarily in a good way) For one, you had to wear footwear to swim, as they are sharp & cut your feet (even sand beaches would be covered in the shells of the dead ones - often in enough numbers to form "drifts" or "dunes"). They also attach themselves to pretty much everything, so their water intake pipe was constantly clogging. They can kill off native species, too, by crowding them out (other shellfish, etc.) and.or filtering out feed from the water column. However, they do clarify water, which looks nice. haha. That can also promote algae etc. growth at deeper levels, which aids other species. It's kind of a mixed bag, but mostly negative & potentially expensive to deal with.

It's probably inevitable that they'll end up here eventually. :[

big image (a scene I've witnessed too many times at Lake Erie)
Your bias suits you.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:LOL. Try and go across the border with a piece of fruit though and see what happens.

LOL ... I'll have to remember this thread next time they make me throw out a half eaten Subway sub with veggies on it LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

zzontar wrote:
In other words, the law can do nothing about someone introducing them to the lake, but can lay charges after the damage has been done... brilliant. I don't think any fine would make up for the damage and the estimated $43 million bucks to clean the lake each year if they were introduced.

I believe the $43 million would only be in a effort to try and control them. They obviously would not be eliminated by the efforts.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

Good to see this barge didn’t make it to its destination. :up: :up:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/374971 ... ra-mussels
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”