Kelowna-Westside constituents, must read!

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Kelowna-Westside constituents, must read!

Post by Daspoot »

GEW wrote:

I enjoy the great BC outdoors as well, and in fact I spend a great deal of time there. That is the thing though; I want to be able to do that a lot and not just once a year when I come for an annual vacation from some prairie crap hole. If there is a 3000 hectare park, I don't feel that running a 30 foot wide strip through an area that large for a pipeline ruins the entire park.

We can rehash the whole pipeline safe, no they aren't thing if you want. but that'll probably get us nowhere. let's just say I'd be happier with transmission lines over Crude or DilBut running through rugged terrain and crossing rivers.

Also, although I might agree with you that parkland should be protected forever, the fact is the left wing in this province have opposed nearly every single economic opportunity that has been offered to BC.

The extreme Left Wing is what balances the extreme right wing. The middle ground is where most of us feel comfortable. that said we all draw the line in a slightly different spot.

An example: in 2006 in Princeton somebody wanted to build a coal fired power plant using coal that is already being extracted from nearby coalmont. Of course environmentalists opposed it even though coal is already being burnt in Kamloops at the LaFarge cement plant and nobody even knows it. So now the coal is being shipped to Asia where it is being burned in less efficient plants and the jobs are gone with it.
There are many other examples including Ajax mine, Prosperity mine and Red Chris mine where academics and native leaders opposed the projects. This is pretty smug considering their salaries In many cases are funded by tax dollars. I might note that none of these projects were located in protected parkland.
My point is, I am tired of a vocal minority constantly chasing economic progress and the future of this province away from us. For this reason alone, I support opening protected areas to "exploration".

We differ of opinion there. Learn all you can, try to figure out what led people to the conclusions they come to, you may still disagree, but you'll be better educated on the whole matter, and that can't hurt (that goes for all of us, not you specifically), I'd start with some of your ideas on First Nations, you just might be surprised at how some of your facts are propaganda that has been repeated so many times it's taken as Gospel.

removed off topic comments.
On a different forum
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

People stop with the name calling.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

Andrew Weaver: Bill 4: the Park Amendment Act—what next?

TENS OF THOUSANDS of people in B.C. have voiced their opposition to the recent passing of Bill 4— the Park Amendment Act. They are demanding its repeal because of fears around industrial development taking priority over the protection of our most significant areas of ecological diversity and natural beauty. I share many of their concerns.

The problem with Bill 4—the Park Amendment Act.

The Park Amendment Act is a controversial piece of legislation that now allows the B.C. government to issue park use permits for activities that are not necessarily related to the mandate and purpose of our B.C. parks. The Act allows for permits to be issued for two general categories: film production and research.

Previously, for a park-use permit to be granted, the applicant had to prove that the activity, for which they required the permit, was necessary for the preservation or maintenance of the recreational values of the park involved. Bill 4 changes this.

Now, the Minister of the Environment has the ability to issue permits that fall under the vague and undefined term “research” for any type of “feasibility study” for any kind of “prescribed project”.

Without any limitations on what these studies or projects might entail, without any guidelines for how the studies or projects are to be assessed, and without defining the term research, the Act in essence can allow for a park-use permit to be issued for virtually any type of activity. The language is so vague as to be utterly meaningless. In theory, I could sip a beer while watching Hockey Night in Canada and qualify and call this research as part of a "feasibility study" under this Act. Conversely, exploratory drilling could also fall into this category.

http://www.straight.com/news/617661/and ... -what-next
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 2nd, 2014, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
On a different forum
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 2nd, 2014, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the good folk of prince george - mackenzie are making themselves heard, c'mon kelowna - westside, we should be showing our deceitful ms. clark our dissatisfaction as well.

Parks protest comes to Morris' door

Peter JAMES / Prince George Citizen
April 4, 2014 07:47 PM

Opponents of proposed changes to the provincial parks act will be demonstrating in front of the office of Prince George-Mackenzie MLA Mike Morris on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Charissa Callahan said she fears the legislation currently being debated at the provincial legislature will open the door for mining and other resource extraction to take place within park boundaries.

"I feel that these parks are no longer going to be provided these protections through this act," Callahan said. "There's a place for mining and there's a place for the oil industry and I feel outside of the parks would be the best place, [natural resource companies] are still going to be able to fully operate outside of the park boundaries and turn a profit."

Callahan is concerned that the new bill would allow for "feasibility studies" around mineral deposits in parks, which she said could open the door to future development.

"I feel if resources are found, it would not only allow for development but in this act it states it could be developed without limitation," she said. "So it would be pipelines, roads, highways, transmissions lines or any other project the government would approve."

When the bill was first introduced in February, Environment Minister Mary Polak said it aimed to clarify the rules for what economic activities are allowed in parks.

"The province remains committed to protecting our natural resources, while at the same time expanding our economic activities," Polak said in a news release. "Strong economic growth and strong environmental stewardship can co-exist in British Columbia. However, these economic activities will not be at the cost of our environment."

The act would allow for new research permits, but the government said they would only be considered in the context of existing protected values and conservation plans in parks.

Callahan said the weekend events have a dual purpose, first to raise awareness about the concerns the group has regarding the bill and to have peaceful demonstrations.

"I'm hoping people are going to walk away from this and do research into it," she said.

Organizers are hoping to have upwards of 100 people out between the two demonstrations this weekend. The start time on both Saturday and Sunday is noon.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news ... r-1.943771
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “B.C.”