Legal Marijuana Sales in Future?

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Legal Marijuana Sales in Future?

Post by Donald G »

Given the fact that only the details remain to be worked out regarding medical patients being able to routinely exercise their legal access to marijuana it will be interesting to see what the mechanics of the system eventualy chosen will consist of.

Down the road the same module will IMO have to be able to adapt to the sale of one ounce lots for what some would call (taxed) recreational use but I would call stress relief for medical reasons.

It is apparent that those presently involved in the "legal and illegal but ignored" selling of marijuana are going to fight tooth and nail in an effort to retain their share of the market. A market with a potential clientelle equal to tobacco and liquor. IMO they are the ones desperately trying to keep the system what it is today, in spite of the fact that the badly corrupted system used today makes it easy for criminal drug gangs to continue to profit. Even though those profiting from the present system would IMO have you believe otherwise.

At the present time the matter is again on hold but at some point, between the politicians and the courts, a decision will eventually evolve. The module that will eventually evolve is anyones guess right now but will no doubt reflect something somewhere between the needy and the greedy. Hopefully the preponderence of consideration will be given to the 40,000 Canadians presently holding a "fully informed permit" signed by a qualified doctor.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Legal Marijuana Sales in Future?

Post by JLives »

I'm pretty sure we have enough threads on this topic Donald.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Provide a link, I'll merge 'em.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lets hope so colorado is way ahead now :P
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To lakevixen ...

Colorado is way ahead as you say. But are they running in the right direction?

IMO legalizing small amounts of marijuana for medical and recreational use identifies that their objective is supported. But have they taken all REASONABLE steps possible to try to see that;

1. Their sales system makes it as difficult as possible for criminal gangs?

2. Their system look after those on limited income who require marijuana for medical reasons?

3. They have taken steps to limit sales to persons living in other countries where marijuana is still illegal?

4. They have identified all sales to be through centralized or regionalized agencies and a system put in place to audit such sales locations to curb criminal corruption?

5. Have they put in place a safety net to deal with the problems arising from more wide spread marijuana use including the ability to deal with impaired-marijuana drivers, psychoses down the road and 6% habituation index?

6. Do they have a system to collect and publish their ongoing (both beneficial and deteromental) findings regarding marijuana use?

7. Have they specifically identified what the process is to identify growers and sellers and put in place a system for vetting such outlets and their employees?

IMO simply making marijuana available is the no brainer in a series of questions and concerns that, if not dealt with, will end up with the same stupidity as accompanied the legalization of tobacco and booze.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? Not likely. Wonder how many prescriptions when unfilled and how many people were affected by this total farce:

Tweed’s budding business hits slight snag with B.C. pot delivery

By Douglas Quan, Ottawa Citizen April 5, 2014

Tweed chairman Bruce Linton says his company took all the right steps, but still had a shipment of marijuana picked up by the RCMP.

Tweed Marijuana Inc. became the first publicly traded medical pot company in Canada on Friday, but behind the scenes the Ontario production facility has apparently been searching for answers after a run-in with the law.

On Monday, the company was hoping to beef up its stock with a shipment of medical marijuana products that it says it acquired from B.C. growers who had previously been licensed to grow their marijuana at home.

Even though the company had received Health Canada’s approval to import such products, the Mounties, who the company said it had invited to inspect the shipment, ended up seizing it at the Kelowna International Airport.

“We felt everything was done absolutely correctly,” Tweed chairman Bruce Linton said from the company’s office in Smiths Falls. “When you call police to say, ‘Come look at this,’ you believe you have everything in order.”

The case seems to highlight an ongoing confusion around the old legal regime, which allowed licensees to grow medical pot in their basements, and the new regime, which restricts production to commercial growers, such as Tweed.

..snip...

Linton said Friday his company hadn’t originally intended to purchase other medical marijuana products; the initial business plan was to grow about 25 varieties of plant at the company’s 160,000-square-foot growing facility.

But when the company started accepting customers early in February, demand for its products proved much higher than expected, Linton said.

It became clear, he said, that the amounts sought per patient were “several multiples” higher than what the company had planned for. When Tweed pointed this out to Health Canada officials, the company was told that other commercial growers were buying medical pot from growers who had been licensed under the old regime.

The only stipulation was that they needed federal authorization to do so.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Twe ... story.html
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To flamingfingers ...

I'm not sure why Health Canada thought that they had the authority to APPARENTLY authorize a legitimate company to purchase marijuana from people who were never authorized to grow it for the purpose of selling it to anyone. Health Canada can not break the law any more than any other citizen of Canada. Authorization from Ottawa means changing federal law.

Do you interpret the Ontario situation as carrying the inherent message that they will be selling direct to the user; or selling through more localized middle men?

I personally wonder about the ability of Health Canada when I repeatedly hear about them doing things that are IMO clearly not in the interests for managing the changes inherent in the most recent proposal.

Once more the police will be branded as the bad guys for doing the job they are hired and sworn to do.
Last edited by Donald G on Apr 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Donald G wrote:To flamingfingers ...

I'm not sure how Health Canada got the authority to APPARENTLY authorize a legitimate company to purchase marijuana from people who were never authorized to grow it for the purpose of selling it to anyone. Health Canada can not break the law any more than any other citizen of Canada.

I personally wonder about the ability of Health Canada when I repeatedly hear about them doing things that are IMO clearly not in the interests for managing the changes inherent in the most recent proposed changes.

Once more the police will be branded as the bad guys for doing the job they are hired and sworn to do.

Just goes to show you Donald, how incompetent the Federal Government and Health Canada really are. And this extends into the corporate grows, the monitoring, security, and accountability HC feels will flow along these lines.

WHERE has HC said that it will hire staff to monitor and make accountable these corporate grows? Tell me.

WHERE has HC said that it will provide staff to monitor the THC/CBD level of 'balanced' cannabis that is produced by corporate grows? Tell me.

WHERE has HC said that corporate grows need to make their product affordable to medical cannabis users who have grown their own medicine for decades at a cents per gram and do not WANT dried cannabis but want to juice it, use it for oils, poultices and baking? Tell me.

What a complete and utter circleje*k!
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To flamingfingers ...

IMO the whole issue will not be settled until the courts and politicians can reach an accommodation. I think you are far ahead of the game in demanding answers to quality control, including monitoring and product certification issues.

The entire PROPOSED system is built on "informed consent" of a product that, if AUTHORIZED by the government, could not withstand future lawsuits. I would be surprised if, at this point in time, the government would be willing to place any ratio restrictions on the amount of THC as compared to CB+s. It would legally bind that the government to recognizing that one was safer than the other.

It would be interesting to determine where the "marijuana seller" would stand from a legal point of view, whether large sell direct grower or through a sales distributor if such is allowed in the final analysis.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^In other words Donald, you agree that at the present time it is a total and complete mess. Thanks to the Fed's ideological and ridiculous continuation of the 'war on drugs' and their total incompetence in directing Health Canada's policies.

Make it simple, forget the red tape and faux 'laws' and simply

FREE THE WEED!!

It is as innocuous as the tomatoes, lettuce and peyote grown in your own home garden.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To flamingfingers ...

No reply will be forthcoming until it is determined whether or not you are off topic, as reported.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Donald G wrote:To flamingfingers ...

No reply will be forthcoming until it is determined whether or not you are off topic, as reported.

You reported my response as off topic?

Did you not express frustration with HC as did I?

I have stated my opinion time and again while you espouse some nebulous faith in HC and the Feds to 'protect' us from a plant as harmless as lettuce, salvia, peyote and the horrible 'Love Apple".
Chill
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:Given the fact that only the details remain to be worked out regarding medical patients being able to routinely exercise their legal access to marijuana it will be interesting to see what the mechanics of the system eventualy chosen will consist of.

Down the road the same module will IMO have to be able to adapt to the sale of one ounce lots for what some would call (taxed) recreational use but I would call stress relief for medical reasons.

It is apparent that those presently involved in the "legal and illegal but ignored" selling of marijuana are going to fight tooth and nail in an effort to retain their share of the market. A market with a potential clientelle equal to tobacco and liquor. IMO they are the ones desperately trying to keep the system what it is today, in spite of the fact that the badly corrupted system used today makes it easy for criminal drug gangs to continue to profit. Even though those profiting from the present system would IMO have you believe otherwise.

At the present time the matter is again on hold but at some point, between the politicians and the courts, a decision will eventually evolve. The module that will eventually evolve is anyones guess right now but will no doubt reflect something somewhere between the needy and the greedy. Hopefully the preponderence of consideration will be given to the 40,000 Canadians presently holding a "fully informed permit" signed by a qualified doctor.

Donald,seriously man, get off your nag. It is a flogged dead horse. While I find myself aligned with you on many fiscal and policy topics, you are an embarrassing leftover when it comes to MJ. Just burn that reefer madness VHS you have and move on with your RCMP or CSIS pension cheque and realize that much of law enforcement's thinking has changed since you punched your last time sheet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ...

An anonymous person, apparently professing to know what the marijuana sales system should be (by going out of their way to tell me how terribly wrong I am) must have a solid knowledge of what system should be implemented.

What do you support in terms of the future system that the government should implement regarding the sale of marijuana?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To flamingfingers ...

Since your comments (in modified form) remain this morning ...

Is your declaration that we throw out the entire new marijuana control and sales system (because in YOUR assessment Health Canada screwed up) identical to hauling your new just purchased Mercedes to the dump because of a glitch in one of the computers? Does that make sense?

IMO you are conveniently overlooking the fact that the "purchaser" was clearly told that he would have to obtain authorization from the Feds. Obviously neither he (nor you) seem to have paid any attention to that stipilation. Neither did the reporter from the media.

Return to “B.C.”