The TWU Controversy

36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The TWU Controversy

Post by 36Drew »

Interesting to note, from the article:

The university won a similar case in Nova Scotia earlier this year, but an Ontario court upheld the Ontario law society's refusal to accept grads from Trinity's law school.

I wonder how the case arguments differed, if at all? I'll see if I can find the court documents/decisions.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bottomline those students who believe as this university does will attend, those who don't will go elsewhere.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

bottom line was wrong to allow a school to have bigoted views
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

So what do people think of the the pro and con positions that the two lawyer factions have taken regarding the issue in the various provinces. And the two positions that the court judges have taken in the various provinces as well.

It clearly illustrates that what the public consider to be some kind of utopian justice ends up being nothing but the personal opinion of highly prejudiced and fallible men and women dressed in black costumes.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Sex and the single evangelical at TWU

Post by occasional thoughts »

So our very own Trinity Western U. is now taking on the law society in Ontario.

Link, http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#167447

I feel derisive about this whole thing in terms of TWU attempting to enforce abstinence on students. It doesn't happen, even with evangelicals, at least not all of them.

Although I will say I was surprised to read in the item that TWU allegedly doesn't discriminate against gay, et al, people in their admissions or hiring. But their heterosexual students can't let their passions and impulses get away from them. LOL.
pepsilover
Übergod

Re: Sex and the single evangelical at TWU

Post by pepsilover »

occasional thoughts wrote:So our very own Trinity Western U. is now taking on the law society in Ontario.

Link, http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#167447

I feel derisive about this whole thing in terms of TWU attempting to enforce abstinence on students. It doesn't happen, even with evangelicals, at least not all of them.

Although I will say I was surprised to read in the item that TWU allegedly doesn't discriminate against gay, et al, people in their admissions or hiring. But their heterosexual students can't let their passions and impulses get away from them. LOL.

This fight has been going on for a few years now. Old news.

I fail to see what is 'LOL' about young people not hopping into bed with everybody they find attractive (or not). I think it is relatively well-known that the Bible (as well as other religious books and texts) encourages chastity and abstinence outside of marriage, even in today's world. Having morals NEVER goes out of fashion. Just sayin'. With all the unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, I think a big cuppa 'THINK ABOUT IT FIRST' is in order for young people, no?

And it isn't 'allegedly' that TWU does not discriminate against gays, they don't. Why would you say 'allegedly'?

TWU treats all the students the SAME, whether hetero or *bleep* or etc., and isn't that the way it SHOULD BE? ALL inclusive? No special treatment for anybody. In many ways TWU is actually MORE fair to gays, levelling the playing field like that.

There is a reason this fight has been going on for years, because the implications are great and they know it.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

TWU treats all students the same? What about the young couple who get caught in flagrante delecto by the admin and are expelled? Or even if a jealous ex-boyfriend or girlfriend informs the admin that they know of somebody who are, gasp, having sex. They get treated very differently than the ones who don't get caught, or falsely ratted out. And if you think that a Christian school is a bastion of blissful celibacy, think again.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

bob vernon wrote:TWU treats all students the same? What about the young couple who get caught in flagrante delecto by the admin and are expelled? Or even if a jealous ex-boyfriend or girlfriend informs the admin that they know of somebody who are, gasp, having sex. They get treated very differently than the ones who don't get caught, or falsely ratted out. And if you think that a Christian school is a bastion of blissful celibacy, think again.

Dear Bob, I read your post in the other thread before it got moved here and thought 'what is he on about'????

What you are bringing up has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. Getting caught? Whatever. All sorts of organizations have codes of conduct and if you don't follow the rules you have to suffer the consequences. What's your point here? My (obvious) point is that indeed the Code of Conduct at TWU applies to ALL STUDENTS equally (and apparently the courts agree with that so far anyways, you realize this is an ongoing battle in the courts right?) The consequences of breaking any rule, by anybody, is a separate issue and a non-issue in the context of this topic.

And nobody has said or even remotely alluded to the fact that a Christian school is a 'bastion of blissful celibacy' but your attitude is duly noted.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Is the Media really this stupid?

Post by Barney Google »

Merry wrote:What I don't understand is, how the heck does the school know who is having sex and who isn't?

I know a few former students who have attended this particular Institution. If living on campus the rooms are always shared with another (same sex) student...'reporting' another students 'transgressions' is encouraged and thought of as helping to 'ensure the moral integrity of the student' and through that the integrity of the Institution and the beliefs it stands on.

Edited to add: Evidently, this led to a little blackmail and extortion amongst some of the students... :1422:
Last edited by Barney Google on Jun 5th, 2016, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

For pepsi, I'd love to be able to do a valid research with honest results of all those rah-rah abstinence vows that teenagers in Southern Baptist and probably other churches did over the years and see the results. Bob Vernon's post which echoes mine IS the point; TWU is fooling itself, and they're fools for trying.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

occasional thoughts wrote:For pepsi, I'd love to be able to do a valid research with honest results of all those rah-rah abstinence vows that teenagers in Southern Baptist and probably other churches did over the years and see the results. Bob Vernon's post which echoes mine IS the point; TWU is fooling itself, and they're fools for trying.

It's been the Code of Conduct there for a very long time and there was no problem until the gays challenged it. I wonder why that is.
If they don't want to attend the university, then don't. The military has a code of conduct too. Nobody is forced to join. And nobody, gay or otherwise, is forced to attend TWU. This USED to be a free country.
Wonder what people will be saying when an Islamic school or university starts up and insists on the same type of rules?
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

occasional thoughts wrote:For pepsi, I'd love to be able to do a valid research with honest results of all those rah-rah abstinence vows that teenagers in Southern Baptist and probably other churches did over the years and see the results. Bob Vernon's post which echoes mine IS the point; TWU is fooling itself, and they're fools for trying.

Just so you know I happen to agree with you if you are saying some students are having sex or variants thereof. It's human nature, but I also know young people who stayed virgins until they were married because of their beliefs in God. It happens more often than you might think.

Whether they get caught or not, and what the repercussions are I have no idea.
My cousin used to work at TWU. I'll ask him next time I talk to him about this.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Having lived for a time in the Baptist "Bible Belt" of the US I can attest there is a LOT of behind closed doors 'hanky-panky' goin' on from Monday to Saturday from 'proper' Spinster School Marm Sisters to 'devout' Baptist Deacon Brothers that requires an awful lot of 'Amens', 'Halleluiahs' and 'Praise the Lords' on Sunday mornin's...Baptist Teenagers and Young Adults are 'apples that haven't fallen too far from the tree'.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “B.C.”