The TWU Controversy

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The TWU Controversy

Post by occasional thoughts »

A lot of smoke, mirrors, obfuscation and insinuation from the normal sources, but no evidence to back up that Sharia is being adopted as the civil or criminal law of the U.S. or Canada. And if anything credible crops up, I'll be at the front of the pack in fighting it.

What crap that some Islamic people are focusing on the courts because that's where law is supposedly really created. The courts review and judge law passed by legislatures. Legislatures are first.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I searched "Sharia law in Canada".

The first link, by billionbibles.org was interesting but suspect by definition.

The next link was a blog by the long-time religion editor of the Vancouver Sun, very balanced, very sober, and expressing a number of serious concerns, but mostly about Sharia elsewhere:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... XonIKVkafA

The third link I looked at was a discussion apparently by/for Canadian lawyers, and seemed reputable:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... tGlc7mdaYA

It is apparent that some politicians and schools are pandering to Muslims, allowing for instance religious instruction in where many of us are resisting it for other religions. There is no evidence that Sharia is being substituted for civil or criminal law anywhere in our country. I believe most of us would go to the wall to prevent such an advent, notwithstanding the rabid alarmism that certain of our fellow posters put up here sometimes that repels a lot of us.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Except you were the one that brought up Shariah law, nobody else, so that makes you the 'rabid alarmist' here. Two or three of us have kindly provided information for you to read so you might learn what is going on, and you refer to that as 'crap', or 'smoke and mirrors'.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*let's not stray too far off topic please. thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Glacier wrote:
Bill Warner is a scientist, so he deals with facts. Most people deal with feelings, so he's not for everyone. He's only one of the most knowledgeable people on earth about Islam.

Congress is largely irrelevant. The Brotherhood knows that the government is beholden to the courts. It is the courts and the Human Rights Tribunals that hold the real power over such matters.

As for Canada, "what begins in Britain tends to influence other nations, in particular English-speaking nations and especially countries with a British legal precedent and a Commonwealth tradition. In other words, there’s a good chance it will come to Canada and activists are already pushing for it." http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/27/al ... -precedent

An interesting interview with Bill Warner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czBiWm3ljv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1Huki53L0

Thanks for posting this. I did not know what your link from the Toronto Sun stated:

<snip> In a genuinely shocking decision it was announced this week that sharia principles are to become enshrined in the British legal system, with the Law Society of the United Kingdom publishing guidelines for drawing up documents according to Islamic rules. These rules would allow lawyers to, for example, write Islamic wills which will have the power to exclude non-believers and deny women an equal share of an inheritance.

The guidelines state, “The male heirs in most cases receive double the amount inherited by a female heir of the same class. Non-Muslims may not inherit at all, and only Muslim marriages are recognized.” <snip>

Genuinely shocking indeed! That 'only Muslim marriages are recognized' is something people should pay attention to here. Talk about a bad form of intolerance, legally sanctioned, not to mention the perpetration of their 'pure race' as the only one worthy of any kind of inheritance.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Sex and the single evangelical at TWU

Post by ferri »

occasional thoughts wrote:So our very own Trinity Western U. is now taking on the law society in Ontario.

Link, http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#167447

I feel derisive about this whole thing in terms of TWU attempting to enforce abstinence on students. It doesn't happen, even with evangelicals, at least not all of them.

Although I will say I was surprised to read in the item that TWU allegedly doesn't discriminate against gay, et al, people in their admissions or hiring. But their heterosexual students can't let their passions and impulses get away from them. LOL.

here's the original post.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

This is an interesting series of videos taken in Toronto in 2011 when the Toronto School District was debating on the issue of allowing muslim prayer in schools. There are five videos, some longer than others. One of the most interesting is by a woman muslim (Raheel Raza) who believes muslim prayer should NOT be permitted in the schools. What she has to say is VERY interesting and is the kind of thing I like to hear from Canadian muslims. She has the courage to speak out, against radical islam, in public. She has the courage to stick up for the schoolgirls, the young teens and most of all she recognizes what CANADA IS TRULY ABOUT. THIS is a true Canadian muslim in my opinion. Her speech is video 2/5 for those interested (there are 5 videos in all). For the 'guts' of her speech you can start at about minute 12, or you can listen to the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQvluA75Zo

The point, in the context of this discussion, is that while TWU is fighting in the Supreme Court to hold onto its longstanding code of conduct which does NOT discriminate against any student for their religion (OR their gender), we have the Canadian school board considering making special considerations for muslim PRAYER at public schools. THIS is important to understand. And especially for those who think shariah law is not a threat here in Canada. Shariah law is addressed by Raheel Raza in her speech and what she says might surprise you (again, this is in the second half of her speech, after the 12 min. mark). If you don't believe a practising muslim then, to me, your opinion doesn't count for anything because at some point peoples' opinions are more about themselves than about the greater good, in this case Canada remaining a FREE country.

For those who are unaware of what has gone on in Toronto in regards to this subject, a google search of Toronto School District Muslim Prayers will bring you to some articles.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

TWU has not previously been accredited as a law school. Their past graduates are professionals in other fields.

In what way is accrediting them as a school capable of educating lawyers different from accrediting them as a school capable of educating nurses, teachers, business administrators or counselors?

If their student policy has not been perceived as a legitimate reason to deny them accreditation in other fields, why Is their student policy a legitimate reason to deny them accreditation in the field of law?

Graduates of all accredited law schools must pass the bar. If TWU was granted accreditation, their students would be subjected to the same scrutiny all other students are already subjected to.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

rustled wrote:TWU has not previously been accredited as a law school. Their past graduates are professionals in other fields.

In what way is accrediting them as a school capable of educating lawyers different from accrediting them as a school capable of educating nurses, teachers, business administrators or counselors?

If their student policy has not been perceived as a legitimate reason to deny them accreditation in other fields, why Is their student policy a legitimate reason to deny them accreditation in the field of law?

Graduates of all accredited law schools must pass the bar. If TWU was granted accreditation, their students would be subjected to the same scrutiny all other students are already subjected to.

You are right, and those are legitimate questions, which are probably being addressed at the court case. There are many issues here not just freedom of religion and gender equality. The university is a private facility as well. All sorts of issues to be decided, probably why it's taking so long and why there is so much division across the country about it. Nobody can agree.

And a 'Code of Conduct' is exactly that, a code of conduct. Nearly every major corporation has a Code of Conduct or a Board of Ethics which is basically to guide the institution, company and individuals who are employed there (or as in this case, go to school there).

The rule itself may seem ancient to some, but to others it is a valid and sacred part of their belief system, which under our current Charter we are entitled to that freedom. Here is a good link for a general overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_o ... _in_Canada

AND this is not TWU's first rodeo btw. I found your question interesting because I already knew that there were issues in the past challenging teachers graduating from TWU and it again revolved around gay issues. This was a big trial years ago, and again, it had to do with homosexuality and all the implications of that. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:

Homosexuality[edit]

<snip>In 2001, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in Trinity Western University v. British Columbia College of Teachers that the British Columbia College of Teachers was wrong to withhold accreditation of Trinity Western University's teacher education program on the basis that the school's policy prohibited "homosexual behaviour".[58]

In a highly publicized 2002 case, Justice Robert McKinnon granted an interlocutory injunction ordering that Marc Hall be allowed to bring a same-sex date to prom at his Oshawa, Ontario Catholic high school.[59] The matter did not, however, proceed to trial, meaning no binding judgment on the merits of the case was issued.<snip>

Now this was 15 years ago, and unfortunately as the last line states there was no binding judgment, so there is legally no precedent, which again means this current issue will DRAG OUT in court for a very long time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The solution is quite simple. They should announce that they are dropping the Christian view of homosexual behavior, and adopting the Muslim one instead. They could even hire an Imam to craft the language of that portion of the covenant. The social justice warriors would be happy with that, and they will be able to get accreditation no problem.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:The solution is quite simple. They should announce that they are dropping the Christian view of homosexual behavior, and adopting the Muslim one instead. They could even hire an Imam to craft the language of that portion of the covenant. The social justice warriors would be happy with that, and they will be able to get accreditation no problem.

Ha ha oh man this made me laugh, only because it is 100% exactly what would happen. In fact the loony tune leftists would praise TWU for their "open mindedness and tolerance" for doing this in fact. Which is a sad comment on the PC culture of this country.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Glacier wrote:The solution is quite simple. They should announce that they are dropping the Christian view of homosexual behavior, and adopting the Muslim one instead. They could even hire an Imam to craft the language of that portion of the covenant. The social justice warriors would be happy with that, and they will be able to get accreditation no problem.

Indeed. :smt045

Return to “B.C.”