The TWU Controversy

Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The TWU Controversy

Post by Oxl3y »

simnut wrote:Oh, and it will take more than just "the hassle" to keep like minded students from enrolling into TWU.

I seriously doubt that. Would you want to spend years and 10s of thousands of dollars getting a degree only to lose a job because TWU was on your resume? As you said there are a lot of Christians getting degrees from other schools and they don't have news reports about being denied a job.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:I seriously doubt that. Would you want to spend years and 10s of thousands of dollars getting a degree only to lose a job because TWU was on your resume? As you said there are a lot of Christians getting degrees from other schools and they don't have news reports about being denied a job.

How strong would a persons faith be, if they allowed "situations" to deter from their faith? How strong would your beliefs be if someone could change your mind or cause you to do "different"? Faith to a Christian is their life, it is who they are. Beliefs to anyone are/should be rock solid, unmovable....or it isn't really a belief. You are who you are a 100% of the time, a Christian is whom they are....100% of the time. Bumps in the road will become more and more an occurrence for those of religious beliefs.....but it will not be something that will deter them from their faith.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

simnut wrote:How strong would a persons faith be, if they allowed "situations" to deter from their faith? How strong would your beliefs be if someone could change your mind or cause you to do "different"? Faith to a Christian is their life, it is who they are. Beliefs to anyone are/should be rock solid, unmovable....or it isn't really a belief. You are who you are a 100% of the time, a Christian is whom they are....100% of the time. Bumps in the road will become more and more an occurrence for those of religious beliefs.....but it will not be something that will deter them from their faith.

And the fact that you believe that faith has to include disapproval of gays and lesbians is exactly why I hate religion. You can adapt your faith to be more tolerant without corrupting your beliefs. They don't do lots of the barbaric misdeeds that used to be done in the name of religion why can't religion survive this change?
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

I'd also like to think that the modern generation of students are more intelligent than their predecessors. Maybe not though, you do start brainwashing them young.

If I had my way it would be illegal for someone to go to church before they are 18. If they are old enough to make an informed decision to choose faith then so be it, before that its tantamount to child abuse.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:And the fact that you believe that faith has to include disapproval of gays and lesbians is exactly why I hate religion. You can adapt your faith to be more tolerant without corrupting your beliefs. They don't do lots of the barbaric misdeeds that used to be done in the name of religion why can't religion survive this change?

As a Christian, I don't disapprove of gays and lesbians. Some of my best friends are gay, some of my co Search and Rescue persons are gay, of which I've had better times with than any other person. A gay person is just like me, a human being. They just happen to be gay, I happen to be straight.... I know you can't understand this grey line, but it doesn't mean I agree with everything about them, and they know that. But because I have respect for them as a PERSON, they respect ME for being a person and MY beliefs. Even law did not recognize gay marriage until just recently. Now it has, and I accept that fact, but I can still disagree with it.

Perhaps you should investigate religion, and understand how you can accept and respect someone that believes different, but still not agree with them. :D
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:I'd also like to think that the modern generation of students are more intelligent than their predecessors. Maybe not though, you do start brainwashing them young.

If I had my way it would be illegal for someone to go to church before they are 18. If they are old enough to make an informed decision to choose faith then so be it, before that its tantamount to child abuse.

Parents have the right to bring up children as they see fit, right? If we were to take your argument, ALL children should be kept in a sterile environment until they are 18 , then let them choose. But, here is the quandary.....how will they know what to choose if they don't know what the choices are?
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

simnut wrote:Parents have the right to bring up children as they see fit, right? If we were to take your argument, ALL children should be kept in a sterile environment until they are 18 , then let them choose. But, here is the quandary.....how will they know what to choose if they don't know what the choices are?

Unfortunately you are correct which is why we still see racism and other bigotry being perpetuated in our society. Does a Christian know about Catholicism? Buddhism? etc? How does anyone learn anything what a silly question.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

simnut wrote: Parents have the right to bring up children as they see fit, right? If we were to take your argument, ALL children should be kept in a sterile environment until they are 18 , then let them choose. But, here is the quandary.....how will they know what to choose if they don't know what the choices are?

No parents do not have the right to bring up children as they see fit....You are not allowed to beat/molest/neglect your children or they get taken away and often you go to jail.

Its pretty out there to think the only alternative to not indoctrination your children into a cult is to keep them in a sterile environment.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Hassel99 wrote:No parents do not have the right to bring up children as they see fit....You are not allowed to beat/molest/neglect your children or they get taken away and often you go to jail.

Well, using common sense...I would not have included beating or molesting...neglecting. Why do people try to "insert" aspects that were not even a part of the equation? lol I could have written a list of exceptions, but really didn't think that was required.

Its pretty out there to think the only alternative to not indoctrination your children into a cult is to keep them in a sterile environment.

You missed my point.... If some want some parents to NOT be able to raise their child as they see fit (except for the above mentioned EXCEPTIONS), they ALL parents should not be able to raise their child as they see fit (except for the above mentioned EXCEPTIONS). Including atheist or what have you. EVERY parent indoctrinates their children.....it's called raising your kids.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:Unfortunately you are correct which is why we still see racism and other bigotry being perpetuated in our society.

Totally agree!

Does a Christian know about Catholicism? Buddhism? etc? How does anyone learn anything what a silly question.

It's taught in school(yes, even private religious schools), it's taught at home when a child sees something and has a question and so on.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

simnut wrote:It's taught in school(yes, even private religious schools), it's taught at home when a child sees something and has a question and so on.

So then even in a "sterile" environment a child could learn about all religions so what are you worried about? I wouldn't even be opposed to a class that taught students about all the major religious factions that's much different than indoctrinating them from an age that they don't know any better.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:
So then even in a "sterile" environment a child could learn about all religions so what are you worried about? I wouldn't even be opposed to a class that taught students about all the major religious factions that's much different than indoctrinating them from an age that they don't know any better.

There are two things going on here. By sterile environment, I meant an environment where there is NO input into the child's development. Basically a dark room with food and water. That is the ONLY way to raise a child with no indoctrination. So, in essence, I am saying there is no way to raise a child without indoctrination of some sort.

The last post I made was in reference to a child getting taught a broader range of religions and philosophies and that happens in schools, both public AND private. Yes, even religious schools.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

simnut wrote:There are two things going on here. By sterile environment, I meant an environment where there is NO input into the child's development. Basically a dark room with food and water. That is the ONLY way to raise a child with no indoctrination. So, in essence, I am saying there is no way to raise a child without indoctrination of some sort.

The last post I made was in reference to a child getting taught a broader range of religions and philosophies and that happens in schools, both public AND private. Yes, even religious schools.

Get over yourself. A child raised in a normal family outside of church is not the same as being forced to go to church every sunday and get spoonfed someone elses beliefs. My parents didn't believe in church but they never told me to hate church or religious ideals (I came up with that on my own just observing the hypocrisy of churches). A child could be raised normally and still be able to make an informed decision on their own when they are old enough if they want to follow a faith.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:
Get over yourself. A child raised in a normal family outside of church is not the same as being forced to go to church every sunday and get spoonfed someone elses beliefs. My parents didn't believe in church but they never told me to hate church or religious ideals (I came up with that on my own just observing the hypocrisy of churches). A child could be raised normally and still be able to make an informed decision on their own when they are old enough if they want to follow a faith.

Okay......lol
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”