The TWU Controversy

Glacier
The Pilgrim

The TWU Controversy

Post by Glacier »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1186881/head- ... x-lawyers/

First and last paragraphs of the article:

"HALIFAX – The president of a British Columbia university that has sparked controversy over its policy that prohibits same-sex intimacy says excluding his school’s graduates from practising law in Nova Scotia would be discrimination."

"Last month, the society heard from lawyers, legal experts and others, most of whom urged it to deny accreditation to the school because they say their position on same-sex intimacy is discriminatory."

Wrong. They do not discriminate against gays. They discriminate against gays and straights equally which is not discrimination. Don't people understand this basic concept anymore?
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 11th, 2014, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Re: Is the Media really this stupid?

Post by Rosieodonell »

So my apologies but I think I am a little confused. What I got from the article was that other people in the legal profession don't want this school to be accredited to teach law since it is in fact discriminating against same sex relationships.

So with what I read I have to agree. The law states you can't discriminate on gender, age, sexual orientation, so if you want to teach law you might have to follow it as well.

If I am wrong please let me know, cheers.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

"We want to be free to discriminate against any minorities, like gay people, we want to at our law school. And if you don't certify our school, you're discriminating against us."

"Our discrimination is good discrimination. Yours is bad discrimination."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rosieodonell wrote:So my apologies but I think I am a little confused. What I got from the article was that other people in the legal profession don't want this school to be accredited to teach law since it is in fact discriminating against same sex relationships.

So with what I read I have to agree. The law states you can't discriminate on gender, age, sexual orientation, so if you want to teach law you might have to follow it as well.

Gays are allowed to go to school there so long as they abide by the same rules that Heteros do, and not have sex. The Supreme Court has ruled that this is not discriminatory.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

What I don't understand is, how the heck does the school know who is having sex and who isn't?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Interesting,

So basically this school says that no one is allowed to have non-marital sex because they have Christian value. However, they only believe that marriage is between a man and a woman so basically, a husband and wife could have sex while attending but a same-sex marriage still can't even though Canada allows it.

Any way you dress it up, bigotry plain and simple. If you need to tell yourself that its okay because we let all those (as you put it) "Gays" in we just don't recognize their right to have sex because with don't recognize same sex. Believe your fairy tales myth about a false idol in the sky. While were at it, the bible also said slavery was okay, so hell while students attended school feel free to own another individual if he owes you a debt.

Hopefully there aren't any female teachers at this school since the bible clearly states women shouldn't teach. Yay progress!

But hell we teach love, right!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: The TWU Controversy

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:What I don't understand is, how the heck does the school know who is having sex and who isn't?

They don't. Students have to sign the code of conduct though: http://twu.ca/studenthandbook/twu-commu ... eement.pdf

It is not discriminatory or bigotted because private schools are allowed to have strict codes of conduct.
- Douglas Murray
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

Anyone who still believes there's an invisible boogeyman in the sky keeping track of who sleeps with whom shouldn't be allowed to teach anyone anything anywhere. It's 2014. Time to move on. This is an embarrassment.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

AirHoss wrote:Anyone who still believes there's an invisible boogeyman in the sky keeping track of who sleeps with whom shouldn't be allowed to teach anyone anything anywhere. It's 2014. Time to move on. This is an embarrassment.

It's religion.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Rosieodonell wrote:So my apologies but I think I am a little confused. What I got from the article was that other people in the legal profession don't want this school to be accredited to teach law since it is in fact discriminating against same sex relationships.

Same sex marriage has been "discriminated" against until society's pressure forced laws to be changed in very recent years because of society's changing mentality. In fact, it used to be quite illegal! Just because a person, or a group of people dont AGREE with something, doesn't mean discrimination, it's means simply...NOT AGREEING. But that doesn't make these "lawyers" any different than "normal" lawyers. There are many, including people without "Christian" morals that still don't agree with same sex marriage, it's not exclusive to Christians.

Let's take this a step farther. There is much discrimination out there against drunks, drunk drivers, murderers, theives....you name it! Why, because what they do is illegal? Or something YOU wouldn't do? Remember, same sex relations used to be illegal too..society has developed a tolerance to it and many things with it's "politically correct" thinking.

Some of my best friends are in a same sex relation. But they also know that I don't agree with their situation......but they know that it doesn't affect our relationship, and accept my position on things. You see, I can accept another person while not necessarily agreeing with aspects of their believes......

MANY complain about slime ball lawyers, wouldn't it be nice to have lawyers with morals for a change?
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Another cop out.

I was pointing out Christianity because the school itself follows those beliefs. I understand some people aren't religious and don't agree with another persons sexuality. Remember, its not a life style its who the person is. The fact you have friends that are homosexual and you still don't agree with what they are doing just shows you don't fully accept them as human beings.

Its sad that you can't teach an old dog a new trick and I think that's the same with people's acceptance of sexuality, race etc. Luckily our future generations will learn to just accept people for who and what they are and hopefully all the bigots out there don't teach too much of there hate and bigotry before they leave this earth.

If my child came to me sand said they were a homosexual, I would tell them just be careful and live your life. I am not attracted to the same sex but I wouldn't look down on them or look down on what they did.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Why do we have such backward institutions and what kind of brainwashed young people go to them? Creepy place.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rosieodonell wrote: Remember, its not a life style its who the person is. The fact you have friends that are homosexual and you still don't agree with what they are doing just shows you don't fully accept them as human beings.

B.S. Since when does one have to agree with what someone is doing in order to fully accept them as human beings? What a sad world you live in. Accepting diversity of opinion is far better than witch hunting.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 14th, 2014, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.twu.ca/academics/school-of-law/faq.html

" Yes, but Trinity Western isn’t a church—it’s a university. So why wouldn’t the university’s proposed law school recognize the legality of same-sex marriage?

Trinity Western University’s proposed law school would most certainly be founded on and teach the principles of Canadian law. There would be nothing in our curriculum that is “anti-gay” or contrary to current Canadian law. But Canadian law also recognizes the right for people to express and honour their religious beliefs. That is particularly important to us as a community. Trinity Western University has been designated by law as a private religious institution, founded on traditional, biblical Christian values and principles. As such, we are entitled to our beliefs and fully authorized to set standards for our community that are based on those Christian beliefs. The Supreme Court of Canada recognized that in a 2001 ruling on our right to train and certify teachers. The Supreme Court also noted that religious public education rights are enshrined in Section 93 of the Constitution Act, which was drafted in 1867. The pursuit of freedom has always been a guiding force in the constitutional framework of Canada—and freedom includes the right for people to hold their own religious beliefs."

I may not agree with their positions, nor agree with the fact that they are teaching what I view as archaic intolerance, but I do respect their rights to do so under the constitution.

What I do not agree with is access to any public funds at all, nor things like property tax breaks (IF they get them) for any religious based institution. TWU don't get a lot, but I don't agree with any religiously based schools getting any public funding. Our society is secular based, which is the foundation for freedom of religion for all.

And for those on "right" who will jump all over that view - stop and ask yourself, what if the school were from a different religion and was promoting and teaching a code of laws that you find antithetical?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Rosieodonell wrote:
If my child came to me sand said they were a homosexual, I would tell them just be careful and live your life. I am not attracted to the same sex but I wouldn't look down on them or look down on what they did.

See, you jump to the assumption that I look down on homosexuals....I don't! I just don't agree with the "life style", that's all!

Do you think the mother of a convicted murderer loves her child any less because of his conviction? I don't think you would love your child less. Any true parent would love unconditionally. On the other hand, do you think she condones what her child has done? Any one with morals wouldn't. In essence, that is Christian love...and more of us should have that.

Society is going completely the other way.....less respect....less care about the other person.....less tolerance of the other person....and so on. Why would that be?
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?

Return to “B.C.”