The TWU Controversy

techrtr
Übergod

Re: The TWU Controversy

Post by techrtr »

Considering that the legal profession isn't the most moral or ethical, I would think they would welcome some new lawyers with some strong moral convictions with open arms. Maybe they should just revoke the degree granting status of TWU entirely.
What if they had a medical school - would the College of Physicians and Surgeons jump up and say sorry, we need doctors, but not that bad - no accreditation for you. And what about every other religious based university in North America e.g. Brigham Young, Southern Methodist etc? Maybe they shouldn't be able to grant degrees. And what about people who have attended foreign universities? I'm sure some of them have charters that would fly in the face of every PC rule in the world.

Maybe TWU should just change their charter to make the holier than thou BC legal profession happy.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

techrtr wrote:Maybe TWU should just change their charter to make the holier than thou BC legal profession happy.

Sounds like the easy solution to me. I don't see why this has gotten so far. All TWU needed to do was to remove or rewrite portions of their charter to accommodate their students' constitutionally guaranteed right to equality. Is that really so much to ask?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

TWU could also simply move across the border to Bellingham or to Saudi Arabia and change the covenant to state that homosexuals should be executed since Canadian law societies accredit foreign universities with similar covenants. The possibilities are endless if their goal is to get accredited in BC.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Lerfy wrote:
Sounds like the easy solution to me. I don't see why this has gotten so far. All TWU needed to do was to remove or rewrite portions of their charter to accommodate their students' constitutionally guaranteed right to equality. Is that really so much to ask?

An other easy solution......allow TWU to carry on business as our Charter and laws allow them too. It's ironic, in the article posted, one "lawyer" stated she was "proud day to be a lawyer". Lawyers going against the law and charter is a great day? What's next? They are trying to change or influence the Charter and Laws like they think TWU graduates will do when in "power". Just from the other side of the fence......

And remember, TWU is a CHOICE for students KNOWING what they are getting into....
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

No one is saying TWU can not carry on business as usual.

They can keep having their big bigot party and giving out degrees, what they cant do is control what people think of the degrees. The law societies have deemed those degrees to be inferior to others and thus unacceptable.

TWU still has the right to hand out degrees, they just have limited use now as society has rejected them.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Hassel99 wrote:No one is saying TWU can not carry on business as usual.

Yes they have, and yes they are. They tried with the teacher accreditation, but the SCC backed TWU, which will happen also in this case....because......the SCC goes by the law and charter.

They can keep having their big bigot party and giving out degrees,

And your way of thinking is any less "bigot"? You are chastising a LEGAL way of life, religion.....

what they cant do is control what people think of the degrees. The law societies have deemed those degrees to be inferior to others and thus unacceptable.

Research some more. These law societies don't have an issue with the degrees, they have an issue where these are taught. Yet, these same law societies accept lawyers from schools that have similar covenants! Figure that one out!

TWU still has the right to hand out degrees, they just have limited use now as society has rejected them.

Society hasn't rejected them.....groups of lawyers have...the same lawyers that have sworn to uphold the law and charter...without letting their PERSONAL beliefs interfere. If what TWU is doing falls within the law and charter, then these lawyers are letting their personal beliefs interfere...the same thing they are told is a no no.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I was checking out the website of a local defense lawyer. He was bragging about how he got some guy who led police on a high speed chase, crashed through a fence, then fled on foot off on four criminal charges. Jeez, too bad he didn't also run someone over and kill them - then the lawyer would really have had something to brag about. Sorry, but I don't think lawyers have any place pointing their fingers at TWU and criticizing their charter or philosophy. They place themselves on a moral high horse that is undeserved in way too many cases. Sounds like they're championing a cause to deflect attention from their own douchery.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

techrtr wrote:I was checking out the website of a local defense lawyer. He was bragging about how he got some guy who led police on a high speed chase, crashed through a fence, then fled on foot off on four criminal charges. Jeez, too bad he didn't also run someone over and kill them - then the lawyer would really have had something to brag about. Sorry, but I don't think lawyers have any place pointing their fingers at TWU and criticizing their charter or philosophy. They place themselves on a moral high horse that is undeserved in way too many cases. Sounds like they're championing a cause to deflect attention from their own douchery.

And thats why the following website is available, oh....it's for one of the law societies that wants to discredit TWU!

http://www.dirtylawyer.com/

Or this:

http://www.lawsocietiesreform.com/
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Perhaps TWU should indeed move to a repressive country like Congo, where homosexuals are executed. They'd be welcome there.

What makes Canada better is secularism, the foundation of democracy. It is a slippery slope to allow theocrats into the halls of our democratic system.

For those who don't agree with secularism, I suggest you read some history, and compare countries around the world. Generally, the more secular, the better the country to live in.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

hobbyguy wrote:What makes Canada better is secularism, the foundation of democracy.

Huh? Do you know your history, and the basis of our "democracy"?????

hobbyguy wrote:For those who don't agree with secularism, I suggest you read some history, and compare countries around the world. Generally, the more secular, the better the country to live in.

Examples please......
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Reap what yow sow TWU...you had this coming.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Oxl3y wrote:Reap what yow sow TWU...you had this coming.

Hehehehe.......
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I love you these predetermined studies always leave North Korea off the map, nor do they graph changes in quality of life verses changes in religiosity. Religiosity was on the increased into about 1960, and the quality of life increased. Since then religiosity has been on the decrease, and the quality of life has continued to go up.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Not that this has anything to do with TWU.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”