ICBC - overcharged customers

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: ICBC - overcharged customers

Post by Smurf »

How do you know they screwed up. I asked if they did. Do you have any proof. What do you think would happen in the private industry. Would not the managers responsible be hauled up on the line. What if as they say it was a problem with the old program. Whose responsibility is that. certainly not the workers. Ultimately it is all managements responsibility.

You might as well give up RW , first you guys tried to change it HST and got shot down, now you're trying unions. It isn't going to work, MANAGEMENT is ultimately RESPONSIBLE.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

In some crown corps in other provinces, what they do is they get rid of the bonus to look good, but increase their wage so that it comes up to the bonus they would have earned anyways.

So much for the taxpayer eh?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

In private industry, the professional programmers would be fired for incompetence.

In the government union, the programmers would get the same raise as the rest of the union and a defined benefit pension plan.

There's very little that is "professional" in a union.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Maybe in private industry the manager or managers would be fired for not buying a proper program that worked the way it was supposed to. I know you like to think all the worlds problems are caused by unions but as usual you have no proof. That is probably why you like the private business because you can be a bully and fire people with zero proof. At least I assume as usual you haven't come up with any.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Smurf wrote:Maybe in private industry the manager or managers would be fired for not buying a proper program that worked the way it was supposed to.

Any idea how most software works? Garbage in, garbage out.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

In years gone by I have done programing so I have a bit of an idea. I'm just not sure what has happened in this case. The article said the problem was a 40 year old program. I asked if it could have been input errors by workers. EW grabbed that and said all the union programmer's should be fired. I asked if he had any proof they had anything to do with it. Actually I believe I said we will probably never know for sure.

However I still feel managers are responsible for what goes on under their watch. On worksites I have seen managers held responsible and fined for accidents that happened when they weren't even there. They were still held ultimately responsible by the courts for those under them.

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The managers knew the program was a 'legacy' program. If they claim they did not know, they should be fired for incompetence.

The people working with this 40-year-old system undoubtedly had their frustrations with it and I am quite sure brought this up to their managers. The managers should be severely reprimanded for not bringing the subject of computer program upgrades to budget meetings.

Since the managers in control of the budgeting process chose not to upgrade the computers and the program and chose instead to pat themselves on the back and reward themselves for their 'good work' by granting themselves 'performance bonuses', they should be fired immediately for gross incompetence!!

I fully agree with you, Smurf - the ultimate responsibility lies with MANAGERS.

ICBC - one of many "Clown Corporations"!
Chill
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

flamingfingers wrote:The managers knew the program was a 'legacy' program. If they claim they did not know, they should be fired for incompetence.

The people working with this 40-year-old system undoubtedly had their frustrations with it and I am quite sure brought this up to their managers. The managers should be severely reprimanded for not bringing the subject of computer program upgrades to budget meetings.

Since the managers in control of the budgeting process chose not to upgrade the computers and the program and chose instead to pat themselves on the back and reward themselves for their 'good work' by granting themselves 'performance bonuses', they should be fired immediately for gross incompetence!!

I fully agree with you, Smurf - the ultimate responsibility lies with MANAGERS.

ICBC - one of many "Clown Corporations"!

Welcome to 18 months ago !!

ICBC fires mostly managers as it slashes 250 jobs

VANCOUVER -- B.C.'s public auto insurer is slashing 250 jobs, most of them in management.
The restructuring move at the Insurance Corp. of B.C. means five members of the previous executive have left the company and two executive positions have been eliminated.
The company's interim president Mark Blucher has also announced that four non-executive vice-president jobs have been eliminated.

A scathing government review earlier this year condemned ICBC for its hefty signing bonuses and millions of dollars in severance pay.
The company says the staffing reductions will be made earlier than planned, with a majority of them happening this year.
ICBC says more changes are coming as it brings compensation policy in line with the government's new guidelines

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/icbc-fires-mostly- ... z2z0RGOemv

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Slashes 250 jobs? According to the article, I count a grand total of 11 'managers.' Where are the rest of the 'most of the 250 jobs'?

And after this supposed 'housecleaning' has anything really changed? Turn on the laugh machine.
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 16th, 2014, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Just checked both our vehicles and we don't get anything back........
And when we lived in Alberta, we insured 3 vehicles for less than we pay for one now....
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

I've had numerous plates and many vehicles over 5 years ... I assume they have all the details, but looking up my current plates probably wouldn't be all that useful.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

Bubalouie wrote:Just checked both our vehicles and we don't get anything back........
And when we lived in Alberta, we insured 3 vehicles for less than we pay for one now....

That's the one problem I have with ICBC. No multi-vehicle discount.

A single person with 1 vehicle might not see much difference between Alberta and ICBC, but if you have multiple cars it can make a huge difference.

My understanding on how things work in the States is that you just register your vehicle for x amount of dollars per year, and then insure the driver... which makes a hell of a lot more sense.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

delSol97 wrote:My understanding on how things work in the States is that you just register your vehicle for x amount of dollars per year, and then insure the driver... which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

With their system the possibility of no insurance is much greater.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My vehicle in Arizona is insured, not me. You cannot licence a vehicle in Arizona without first having insurance and if you cancel it or allow it to lapse the insurance company immediately notifies the DMV. When I take off my regular insurance and put on storage insurance for the summer, DMV is notified by the insurance company. I have to get proper insurance before the licence is valid again. I have spoken to people who have been picked up by the police cameras and asked to produce their valid insurance when their new insurance hasn't shown up for some reason. But like Canadian provinces I'm sure every state has something a bit different.

Return to “B.C.”