ICBC - overcharged customers

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: ICBC - overcharged customers

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Garbage from an NDP blogger. How not surprising.

Move back to Quebec for cheap insurance. Be sure to tell us how good it feels to pay 60% to 80% more in income taxes when you get there.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Isn't it amazing that the government says ICBC must pay back any money overcharged, but won't let them recoup any money undercharged. That is 1000% political. From what I have seen they actually undercharged a lot more than they overcharged. But they know that if they said collect all the undercharges there would be an absolute uprising against both ICBC and the GOVERNMENT, whereas paying money back makes them look good if that is possible.

The government should keep it's nose out ICBC except to see that it is properly run and that includes controlling out control payments to management. This should not be a cash cow for the government. As has been said if the government wants money, use income tax so we can see exactly what is going on. Trying to turn all their taxes into fees and supposedly hidden things like ICBC and Hydro so they can falsely claim to have the lowest tax rates should not be allowed. They only do it to look good.

In this case I believe if they return the overpayments they should also collect the underpayments. Isn't it only fair.

What a joke RW and you know it. We might have lower income tax but our hidden taxes easily make up for it.
Last edited by Smurf on Apr 14th, 2014, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Bsuds wrote:2 Vehicles and we save over $200 ea compared to ICBC

interesting.I just checked on my 2012 Suzuki and ICBC was 22$ cheaper
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

There are two big problems with ICBC.

1) Government stealing so much of their income that should be used to control rates.

2) The fact that the good drivers support the bad drivers. There are many insured drivers in BC that probably would not be able to get insurance in other provinces. Private insurance does not take on those risks at any price. That is good or bad depending on what side of the fence you are on.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

matai wrote: You pay premiums according to your driving record, not according to your income.

It should be like this. I rather have the crappy driver pay more insurance PLUS they cost way more for the insurance company.

All insurances I know of is based on your records not your income. Lots of claims means you pay more. House insurance, renters insurance etc.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Smurf wrote:I was going to ask a similar question. I have done comparisons in Alberta and found little difference for similar coverage. I believe anyone with a poor record will be as well or better off in BC. Aren't new drivers a lot better off in BC.. Every situation is different.

I found the opposite . Had a couple days to kill waiting on a project and went into AAA there and told em I was moving to AB and got a quote , for slightly better coverage then I have here , it was almost $ 400.00 cheaper there .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

As I said every situation is different. I have checked a few times and never found any real difference. I do drive older vehicles with maximum deductions. I feel I have better places to spend my money that on vehicles.

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Smurf wrote:In this case I believe if they return the overpayments they should also collect the underpayments. Isn't it only fair.

They can not go back and charge people the “correct” as a contract has been created at the time of purchase. They have no legal right to amend that contract just because they charged the wrong price. Safeway can not give you a call next week looking for $2 extra because the eggs you bought had the wrong price.

On the other hand ICBC is bound to return any overcharged premium as they have their rates regulated by the utility commission, any charge over the allocated and approved amount is in violation of the act and must be returned.

Basically they are capped on the max they can charge via legislation, but nothing prevents them from undercharging (besides proper business practices)
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Apr 14th, 2014, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate language
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Smurf wrote:In this case I believe if they return the overpayments they should also collect the underpayments. Isn't it only fair.

Hassel99 wrote:

They can not go back and charge people the “correct” as a contract has been created at the time of purchase. They have no legal right to amend that contract just because they charged the wrong price. Safeway can not give you a call next week looking for $2 extra because the eggs you bought had the wrong price.

On the other hand ICBC is bound to return any overcharged premium as they have their rates regulated by the utility commission, any charge over the allocated and approved amount is in violation of the act and must be returned.

Basically they are capped on the max they can charge via legislation, but nothing prevents them from undercharging (besides proper business practices)

Why do you have to interrupt this with facts, Hassel? It's so much more fun to run around blaming Christy Clark for not going door to door and looking to charge extra on a long-expired contract of sale.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Sounds reasonable Hassel99. I actually never thought about the contract part of it.

As far as Christy goes, I still believe even more she should give back all the money her government takes from ICBC. Anyone who can do things like that to make up the difference while trying to claim we have the lowest income tax is not the type of person we need running NC.. I realize the income tax is low as she says but the governments overall taxation/fee scheme is far from the lowest in Canada. It is an absolute attempt at deception and it is condoned and promoted by many of her followers. Disgusting.

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Why are people so surprised to hear that , an entity , controlled by the gov't and enacted to generate revenue is over charging ?

AND funneling that surplus to "general revenue" to boot ....

And NDP would do just the same so don't go that way all you fans of them ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Smurf wrote:Sounds reasonable Hassel99. I actually never thought about the contract part of it.

As far as Christy goes, I still believe even more she should give back all the money her government takes from ICBC. Anyone who can do things like that to make up the difference while trying to claim we have the lowest income tax is not the type of person we need running NC.. I realize the income tax is low as she says but the governments overall taxation/fee scheme is far from the lowest in Canada. It is an absolute attempt at deception and it is condoned and promoted by many of her followers. Disgusting.

Do you think the NDP should give back all the money they took from ICBC too?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Do you think the NDP should give back all the money they took from ICBC too?

I do ..

In fact I believe that any party who "rules" this province should stop helping themselves to "public " money
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I also do. People talk about how badly crown corporations are run but they always like to forget that they would run 100% better if governments would quit stealing from them. Be honest tax us for the money they need.

ICBC, Hydro and others are overcharging us everyday to make up for the money taken by the government and yes that includes every government.

I am hoping I get money back, but if I could trust them to do the right thing with it LOL I'd let them keep it.

Return to “B.C.”