ICBC - overcharged customers

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: ICBC - overcharged customers

Post by Hassel99 »

Every state (and province is different)

In California, I believe you have 90 dayss before you have to register a new vehicle and get your plate. I was told (and can not verify) that Steve jobs never once had a license plate on his cars, he would get a new one every 90 days lol.

Found the article

So it turns out, if you are incredibly wealthy, live in California, and are somewhat paranoid, you can find a way to drive around town without those pesky license plates cluttering up your car.

At least, that's what Steve Jobs did. Thanks to a seemingly endless supply of money, IT Wire reports he found a way around having a license plate: By treating his Mercedes SL55 AMG cars as if they were disposable.

Turns out, in California, you can drive a brand-new car for six months without getting a license plate. So that's what Jobs would do. He'd lease a silver SL55 (starting price: $103,000) for almost six months, then turn it in and get an identical one when it was time to get a new one.

The New York Times has identified the statute as California Vehicle Code No. 4456, which says that a new vehicle can be driven for up to six months without license plates. (Although the newspaper goes on to explain that the law is changing to shorten that period to three months in July 2012.)

So Jobs' grand act of defiance was made possible by simply leasing a new car every six months.

But before we close the books on the license plate issue, we'd like to perhaps see some more evidence. If Jobs indeed acquired a new car every six months, we'd have to assume that sometime in 2009 he started driving something other than an SL55 AMG. It went out of production in 2008, and was replaced by the 2009 Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG. Yet we've seen photos of what is said to be Jobs' 2007 SL55, reportedly with over 21,000 miles on the odo in summer 2010.

Perhaps this is just another case of Steve's "reality distortion field," persisting even after his death.

http://autos.aol.com/article/loophole-l ... nse-plate/

Here is the link to ICBC's site to see if you are one of the 5% that got overcharged $20 a year.

http://checkmyvehicle.icbc.com/

How we're making it right
We're looking back over the last six years to make sure customers paid the correct amount for their optional insurance. This includes all vehicles that you currently insure as well as any vehicles you insured during this timeframe.
We will refund customers who paid too much for their optional insurance. If you paid too little, you will not be charged the difference for prior years.
In 90 days, letters will be sent to financially impacted customers. Cheques with interest will be sent along with letters to customers who paid too much for their optional insurance.
We're going as far back as our insurance system is able to accurately recalculate historical premiums for our customers.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our customers.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

In 90 days, letters will be sent to financially impacted customers. Cheques with interest will be sent along with letters to customers who paid too much for their optional insurance.

3 months? What a joke! Speed kills?

We're going as far back as our insurance system is able to accurately recalculate historical premiums for our customers.

So you might have been overpaying for decades but will be refunded for up to 6 years.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our customers.

Sure... sure... we believe you

http://checkmyvehicle.icbc.com/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

matai wrote:Sure... sure... we believe you

So were you overcharged?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hassel99, I bought a motorhome in Arizona, purchased the proper insurance and put a temporary 90 day licence/permit on it for approx. $45.00, don't remember exact amount. I could have purchased another 30 day extension for next to nothing. I drove it around down there and all the way home into Canada legally on that licence/permit. I was however required to register it in Canada ASAP. after returning home.

I think we're a bit off topic here.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Scariest part about USA auto insurance is the low required min levels of coverage. IN bc to be on the road you need to buy at least $200,000 in liability from ICBC. IN Arizona for example you only need carry $30,000 in liability and in some states its $10,000.

A $10,000 insurance policy is a huge waste of money lol. The most litigious country in the world has some of the lowest auto insurance limit requirements. Our min is $200,000 but I don't know a single person who only buys that. I know I carry $5mm myself, I am risk adverse.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Government hands of ICBC. Privatize ICBC. That's the only solution. Let them compete. If they are that good most of us will stay with them. Simple!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

matai wrote:Sure... sure... we believe you

Bsuds wrote:
So were you overcharged?

What will it change in your life if I was to tell you?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

matai wrote:What will it change in your life if I was to tell you?

It would change nothing but it would explain why you are complaining so much.

Apparently only about 5% of ICBC full coverage customers were affected on certain vehicles. So I doubt anyone was overcharged for decades and decades as you suggest.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Bsuds wrote:It would change nothing but it would explain why you are complaining so much.

Good. Because I wasn't to tell you either LOL.

And where did you see me complaining?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:2 Vehicles and we save over $200 ea compared to ICBC

Saved quite a bit of change on my car as well ... not nearly as cheap as I've paid elsewhere, but at least its something.

Oh well, looking forward to the rate increase coming up to pay for this boo boo :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We were talking to a friends daughter from Calgary a few days ago. She was saying her car insurance is more in Alberta than it was in BC. I always thought it was the other way around.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:We were talking to a friends daughter from Calgary a few days ago. She was saying her car insurance is more in Alberta than it was in BC. I always thought it was the other way around.

I would think it depends on your eligible discount, years driving, accident risk, etc.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

The "no fault" system would benefit everyone. No more lawsuits.

Otherwise, I guess we will see more outrageously moronic ones like this:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/113 ... she-killed
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

matai wrote:The "no fault" system would benefit everyone. No more lawsuits.

Otherwise, I guess we will see more outrageously moronic ones like this:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/113 ... she-killed

This one is from Ontario not BC, which has private insurance not public/Government.

Added later: I suspect no insurance company is at all involved with this lawsuit.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:We were talking to a friends daughter from Calgary a few days ago. She was saying her car insurance is more in Alberta than it was in BC. I always thought it was the other way around.
Dizzy1 wrote:I would think it depends on your eligible discount, years driving, accident risk, etc.

Yabutt the way everyone posts on here the consensus seems to be it's cheaper in Alberta.
When I actually talk to someone who is originally from BC and now in Alberta and they claim it's cheaper here.

Return to “B.C.”