LNG environmental assessment nixed

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

LNG environmental assessment nixed

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the dictator christy and the lying, thieving bcliberals have changed the rules once again, without public consultation once again. i can't provide a link to the 'law' because it is an order in council and probably wont be published for a year or so.

Natural Gas EA Changes Spark First Nations Anger

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:59 PM

Fort Nelson, B.C. – The BC Government’s low-key changes to the environmental assessment process for natural gas development didn’t go over well with First Nations.

Provincial officials attending a shale gas/LNG summit in Fort Nelson were kicked out by Fort Nelson First Nation Chief Sharleen Gale this morning. They were drummed out as Gale held up an eagle feather. Industry representatives were allowed to stay, but received a warning from the chief.

“We are the governments of our territories. We are the ones that make the decisions on our lands. We are the ones that are enforcing our rights. Nobody else makes decisions for us. This is what you need to bring back to your CEOs, to your boardrooms, to the people you work with.”

The President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs called the changes a betrayal that could put a halt to the BC government’s hopes for a trillion-dollar LNG industry.

The province announced Tuesday that, as of April 28th, natural gas plants producing less than two tonnes of sulphur emissions per day, which include vast majority of BC operations, will no longer get automatic environmental assessments.

The changes were made through orders in council which are not subject to debate.

http://www.250news.com/blog/view/31714/ ... ions+anger?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: LNG environmental assessment nixed

Post by Rwede »

The Indians are posturing again, looking for ransom.

What else is new? Oldest trick in their book.

They can choose to be a part of this development, or *bleep* and whine and get no jobs nor economic benefit from it. Simple choice.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

rwede, we know your 'band's' tune.

i do not believe for a second that the first nations were aware of the bcliberals decision to scrap environmental assessments when they signed the profit sharing agreements.

christy and the bcliberals would like bc to be the number one carbon producing province with no environmental assessments, scary.

THE PROVINCIAL NDP says it’s time the Liberal government revealed what figures it has for projected greenhouse-gas emissions related to B.C.’s growing liquefied-natural-gas sector.

“They have them but they’re not sharing anything,” said Robin Austin, NDP opposition critic for natural-gas development. “They are keeping them very close to their chest.”

In a telephone interview, the MLA for Skeena told the Straight that what information has come out through freedom-of-information requests suggests the province is aware of “significant” potential increases in GHG emissions.

One briefing note released in November 2013 states that B.C.’s LNG sector could eventually add so much carbon dioxide and methane to the Earth’s atmosphere that the industry’s air pollution could be comparable to that of Alberta’s oil sands.

That document and others released via FOI laws were heavily redacted.

Natural Gas Development Minister Rich Coleman would not grant an interview.

While the Liberal government has dragged its feet on releasing further details, a number of environmental organizations have used revenue forecasts and job figures to calculate their own projections for future LNG GHG emissions.

In February 2014, the Pembina Institute published a report on supply-chain activities with figures that largely matched what’s known about the province’s estimates. “The GHGs from B.C. LNG could be on par with emissions from the oilsands by 2020,” it states.

And in October 2012, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives warned that “increased development of fracking and LNG exports will make it virtually impossible for the province to reach its legislated GHG targets.”

Tides Canada also published a detailed study in September 2013 that concludes that significant political leadership will be required for B.C. to meet its goal of producing the “cleanest LNG in the world”.

In a telephone interview, Jeremy Moorhouse, a coauthor of the Tides report, told the Straight that it’s still unclear how many LNG plants will actually go ahead in B.C., but even if the Liberals hit their low-end goal of three facilities, that could almost double the province’s total GHG emissions.

Moorhouse added that the associated emissions could be reduced by as much as 70 percent if the province properly regulates the industry. “But we haven’t seen anything to say that we’re going to get there,” he said. “We need that policy leadership and we haven’t seen that yet.”

http://www.straight.com/news/626746/bc- ... -emissions
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Government officials blocked from attending LNG Summit in Fort Nelson

British Columbia government officials have been kicked out of a First Nations forum on liquefied natural gas over the government's decision to exempt most of the gas produced in the province from mandatory environmental assessment.

The chief of the Fort Nelson First Nation, organizer of today’s summit, asked the bureaucrats to leave this morning.

On Monday, the Liberal government made changes that mean plants that produce so-called sweet gas will no longer face an automatic environmental assessment as of April 28.

About 99 per cent of the natural gas produced in B.C. is sweet gas, as opposed to sulphur-containing sour gas.

Environment Minister Mary Polak says the changes move toward a more practical review system based on emissions and not the size of the processing plant, but critics call it environmental deregulation.

Carrier-Sekani Tribal Council Chief Terry Teegee says bands feel blindsided by the change and have sent a request to Premier Christy Clark to meet and discuss the amendments.

http://energeticcity.ca/article/news/20 ... ort-nelson
T.Tsarnaev
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Once more the government screws up with respect to the optics involved. Will they never learn?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

There are still lots of guys like Rwede out there, so the Government doesn't have to learn. they can keep on keeping on and have a strong vote from people who don't see the big picture and still buy into the short-term thinking, "balance the books to the detriment of the future because hey, who cares, the gullible keep voting for us" this Government is famous for.

As long as the Rwedes out there are still buying in, they'll keep selling out the environment for quick gains, even if they have to change the laws because otherwise it would be illegal to do what they are doing.

But hey, maybe we can get Rwede to spin it as the FN's at fault some more.
On a different forum
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

They're in a race to get the gas out of the ground while it's still worth something. I personally believe we'd be better off to keep it where it is till we need it than to invest in all the massively expensive liquefaction and transportation infrastructure. No need for that big multibillion dollar dam in the peace river country when we could burn that natural gas here for cheap power.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Keeping it and selling it later does not compute with those making the decisions today.
On a different forum
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:Once more the government screws up with respect to the optics involved. Will they never learn?

Nab

B.C. rescinds environmental assessment exemption
Government fails to consult First Nations on regulatory exemptions for gas plants, ski resorts
CBC News Posted: Apr 16, 2014 5:17 PM PT

B.C. Environment Minister Mary Polak has rescinded the environmental assessment exemption announced Tuesday after angering First Nations' groups across B.C.

In a stunning about-face, Environment Minister Mary Polak has rescinded the environmental assessment exemption for prospective sweet natural gas processing plants and all-season ski resorts only a day after it was announced.

'The word from my elders is you treat people kind. You treat them with respect even when they're stabbing you in the back'
- Fort Nelson First Nations' Chief Sharleen Gale
In a written statement, Polak acknowledges First Nations were not adequately consulted about the proposed change prior to her Tuesday announcement.

The order would have exempted prospective year-round ski resorts and new sweet natural gas plants in B.C. from the Environmental Assessment process.

Polak said the decision was made in order to eliminate the duplication created by a similar environmental assessment process within the Ministry of Forests and Lands.

First Nations reacted angrily to Tuesday's announcement.

Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs Grand Chief Stewart Philip said the government had "effectively declared war on all BC First Nations and jeopardized all LNG discussions throughout the entire Province of BC."

He branded the decision, "a stunningly stupid move."

The Fort Nelson First Nation orders Industry representatives out of an LNG conference Wednesday after Environment Minister Mary Polak exempted natural gas plants and all-season ski resorts from the environmental assessment process. On Wednesday, Polak reversed the decision. (Bob Chamberlain/youtube)

In Fort Nelson, First Nations drummed the government and industry out of a Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) conference following an impassioned speech from Fort Nelson Chief Sharleen Gale.

"The word from my elders is it doesn't matter how they treat you," she told the conference from the podium.

"You treat people kind. You treat them with respect even when they're stabbing you in the back. So I respectively ask government to please remove yourself from the room."

Shortly after government officials left, the industry was also asked to leave.

In her statement, Polak apologizes for the oversight.

"I would like to acknowledge First Nations' concerns about amendments to the Reviewable Projects Regulation under the Environmental Assessment Act. Our government apologizes for failing to discuss the amendment with First Nations prior to its approval."

Polak says the government will not proceed with the regulatory change until First Nations have been consulted. She says the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers has also been made aware of the decision.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

very interesting to see just how quickly change can be affected when a wrongdoing is brought to light.

Environment Minister’s statement on Reviewable Projects Regulation

Economy, Environment, Government Operations Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:35 PM

Environment Minister Mary Polak has released the following statement about an amendment to the Reviewable Projects Regulation concerning sweet natural gas processing plants and ski and all-season resorts.

“I would like to acknowledge First Nations concerns about amendments to the Reviewable Projects Regulation under the Environmental Assessment Act. Our government apologizes for failing to discuss the amendment with First Nations prior to its approval.

“Our government is committed to a strong, respectful and productive relationship with First Nations. That is why we will rescind the amendment that would have removed the requirement for an environmental assessment for sweet gas facilities and destination resorts, until we have undertaken discussions with First Nations. The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) has been made aware of this decision, and respects the need for our government to have further discussions with First Nations.

“Our government sees a significant value in continuing to develop a Government to Government relationship with all First Nations. We remain actively engaged with First Nations in northeastern British Columbia, including shared decision making that respects the environment, First Nation values, and Treaty 8 and its associated rights.”
Media Contacts:

Media Relations
Ministry of Environment
250 953-3834

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/04/e ... ation.html
T.Tsarnaev
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

Yawn!! It must be spring break; all the teachers are braying on about how bad the liberals are for trying to bring tax revenue and people into the province.
You can call Christy Clark a dictator all you want, but dictators get things done. This is why I vote for them.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 29th, 2014, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 29th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: false accusations of racism
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 30th, 2014, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “B.C.”