10 Places in Canada you've just got to see

Glacier
The Pilgrim

10 Places in Canada you've just got to see

Post by Glacier »

As luck would have it, 2 of them are in BC, and I will be visiting one of them this summer. Suweeeet!

http://www.placestosee.macleans.ca/

Liard River Hotsprings:

Nelson:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: 10 Places in Canada you've just got to see

Post by Captain Awesome »

We have plans to visit Nelson in May, looking forward to seeing the place that produces 84% of hippies in BC.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

That's a good list. Even so, I bet that for every place on there, there's probably at least 5 others equally as worthy.

I visited Nelson for the first time this past summer. I camped at the downtown campground. I went for a walk to get something to eat and a pair of sandals. A bunch of cheerful young longhairs on a crazy bus asked me if I wanted to come to their celebration. I did. They said there would be a feast, and drinking and dancing and a good time. So I got on the bus

I ended up on some sort of messianic commune. All the men had long hair and beards, and the women were all in very modest clothing and tended to the children and cooking everyone had taken on hebrew names. They showed me around the farm and eventually the tour led to their place of celebration. Everyone gathered there and there was singing of traditonal songs in hebrew, folk dances, fresh apple cider and a feast of good food all fresh from the farm they have. Not the celebration I was expecting, that's for sure.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Did they fill the lake to build the airport?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Don't know how much I trust a list that includes Winterpeg.

But yeah, Nelson is pretty awesome. I go monthly.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Winnipeg is a nice little town. Lots of historical buildings and cool streets.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

matai wrote:Winnipeg is a nice little town. Lots of historical buildings and cool streets.

Cool story. I wasn't frowning upon the place because I've never been there. Been way too often.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I'm on the side of Winnipeg?? Huh???

There are so many places in Canada that could easily make such a list. Part of it tastes in things though.

An example is that I would put Haida Gwaii on the list. Urban oriented folks wouldn't think much of that selection.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

One place that few British Columbians know about is Hunlen Falls. There are some other Canadian waterfalls that cascade down a slope in steps and are longer, but no Canadian waterfall compares to Hunlen's continuous unbroken drop of over 400 metres (a quarter of a mile). There are no roads near this place and the hike into it requires at least one night camping in country that belongs to the grizzly bears.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I love Nelson. My partner grew up there and we've been back several times to visit. We're planning a motorcycle camping trip out to Toad Rock this summer.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bob vernon wrote:One place that few British Columbians know about is Hunlen Falls. There are some other Canadian waterfalls that cascade down a slope in steps and are longer, but no Canadian waterfall compares to Hunlen's continuous unbroken drop of over 400 metres (a quarter of a mile). There are no roads near this place and the hike into it requires at least one night camping in country that belongs to the grizzly bears.

Hunlen Falls is pretty spectacular. I like that you can hike around to the east, and look directly back at the falls from a higher elevation. You also get a great view of Lonesome Lake from almost the same point. We flew in from Nimpo, but that was many years ago now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I looked at the pictures of Hunlen Falls. Pretty amazing.

Unfortunately backpacking is beyond most folks experience. Which is too bad. One of my favorites, but you have to catch it on a good day, is Berg Lake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Berg_Lake_Canadian_Rockies.jpg

For most of us a 1-1/2 day hike (and the escarpment hike past Emperor falls defeats many rookies) , but for some Olympic team members, like the ones I met up there, a half day RUN. THAT was a lesson in humility meeting those guys.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

hobbyguy wrote:I looked at the pictures of Hunlen Falls. Pretty amazing.

Unfortunately backpacking is beyond most folks experience. Which is too bad.

I flew in. Most people do. It's a short flight by float plane from Nimpo Lake, the float plane capital of BC.

P.S.

- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”