Fortis BC are out and out thieves

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Fortis BC are out and out thieves

Post by NAB »

Wanderingman Wrote: ...the government did the correct thing.Its bad enough the tax payers on the mainland subsidize the ferry,s that people whom live on Vancouver island,why should we also subsidize the Nat gas for those same people that need the ferrys

You obviously didn't do your homework regarding the history, development, and current state of delivery and related pricing of natural gas to customers in BC, or even the Electrical and Transportation systems (roads, highways, bridges, ferries, public transit, etc) for that matter. Particularly who really paid for and developed them, what the rates have been historically, who the majority of users are, and who actually subsidizes (or is being asked to subsidize) who.

And while some like to promote misinformation that mainland BC residents are somehow the givers subsiding those who live, work, play, and do business on the Island, most know full well that it is the Vancouver Centric lower mainland that benefits at the expense of the rest of the province (including the Island).

Most also know that the real problems and unfairness associated with that Vancouver economic centricity on all fronts and its related myopa, be it subsidization of natural gas availability and delivery, similar with LNG exports, oil exports, electricity, communications, and transportation (including ferries) ....have to do with with the Northwest mainland and the North coast of the mainland, not the Island ( s).

This government (not Fortis), and particularly Premier Clark and her hench(wo)men, need to come to realize that there is a massive amount of province out there that is home to the "other half" of BC's population, and that BC does NOT start and stop in an area bounded by the US border, the Strait of Georgia (primarily the airport, University lands, W. Georgia St. & Stanley Park), Whistler, and Hope!

Similar could be said about that self centred Valley of Whines known as the Okanagan, particularly the central part of it. They should know full well by now who and where it is their tax and fees money, effects of low wages, high costs, and so on REALLY subsidizes and/or benefits, .....just as the people and industries of the North East, North West, North Coast, West and East Kootenays and yes, the Island( s) (and Fortis, BC Hydro, ICBC, BC Ferries, LCBC, oil and gasoline providers, collectors of income, sales and carbon taxes, etc) do.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

....and just so everyone is on the "same page"... a lot has changed in BC related to Natural gas distribution in the hodgepodge of NG distribution companies / regions in BC over the last 60+ years. It makes no sense at all that those separate regions and different rate structures should continue to exist under common Fortis ownership.

From Wiki:

1952: Inland Natural Gas was incorporated to distribute natural gas throughout the interior of British Columbia. The company purchased several subsidiaries, including: St. John Oil and Gas, Peace River Transmission, Canadian Northern Oil and Gas, and Grand Prairie Transmission.

1980s: Inland Natural Gas purchased the Lower Mainland gas division from BC Hydro and changed its name to BC Gas, serving 546,000 customers in 70 communities across BC.

2002: BC Gas purchased Centra Gas BC Inc. and Centra Gas Whistler Inc. adding 75,000 natural gas customers on the Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island, and 2,000 piped propane customers in Whistler.

2003: BC Gas Inc. became Terasen Inc.

On May 17, 2007, Fortis Inc. acquired Terasen Inc. from Kinder Morgan, which (had) owned the corporation since 2005.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on May 5th, 2014, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Ummm, I still think natural gas prices have gone down. Regardless of the "fiddles" of how we pay, and carbon taxes etc.

I don't keep records forever, but I checked back to when it was Terasen billing for our natural gas. $127.00/month. Today, same house, same consumption, Fortis; $81.00/month. 64% of what Terasen were billing - or roughly the 2/3 I mentioned.

Somehow, when I see my bills going down, I have a tough time claiming thievery.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

What I wish is that both Fortis and BC Hydro fix their confusing bill!

And what they should state when they actually read the meter. If they do already someone point that out to me cause I cant see it!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “B.C.”