Cory Sater - Nine and a Half Years

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Cory Sater - Nine and a Half Years

Post by Treblehook »

Seems the court got it right this time in terms of sentencing of this intellectual lightweight who killed the two women while driving drunk. With good behavior, I guess he will likely be out in 5 or six years. Hopefully he doesn't encounter a lot of inmates who like him in the joint so that his time is difficult and slow to pass. The only decent thing he did was to plead guilty, but I won't be too quick to give him credit for that as the evidence against him was likely insurmountable in terms of a reasonable defense.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Cory Sater - Nine and a Half Years

Post by KL3-Something »

Treblehook wrote:Seems the court got it right this time in terms of sentencing of this intellectual lightweight who killed the two women while driving drunk. With good behavior, I guess he will likely be out in 5 or six years. Hopefully he doesn't encounter a lot of inmates who like him in the joint so that his time is difficult and slow to pass. The only decent thing he did was to plead guilty, but I won't be too quick to give him credit for that as the evidence against him was likely insurmountable in terms of a reasonable defense.

I thought he got seven and a half.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Got it rigth???? He KILLED two people!!! They are DEAD. Couldn't even stick around to face the consequences. Minimum 25 years and I will pay to keep him in the joint. Its time for this country to start realizing that life is precious.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I would have to agree. Two lives have to worth at least 25 years. Why not life like the ones he killed and their friends and families.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Of course you are right when you say 25 years would be an appropriate sentence for this guy who killed these two people. My comment was offered in the context of today's sentencing of people committing similar offenses.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

In my mind drunk driving is no different than taking a gun and randomly shooting at people. I totally believe we are valuing the loss of human lives and the suffering that goes along with it away too low. IMHO today's sentencing for this type of thing is away out of line.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Smurf wrote:In my mind drunk driving is no different than taking a gun and randomly shooting at people.

I 100% agree with you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Smurf wrote:In my mind drunk driving is no different than taking a gun and randomly shooting at people.

A little different....where randomly shooting at people is intentional......hitting someone and killing them while driving would not be considered intentional. I would equate killing someone while driving impaired to manslaughter, where someone dies because of your actions but without intention. Manslaughter carries anything from probation to life in prison. Figure that one out...someone convicted of manslaughter and only getting probation. It's not only in the impaired "arena" where penalties are too low...it's through out the justice system.

Smurf wrote:I totally believe we are valuing the loss of human lives and the suffering that goes along with it away too low. IMHO today's sentencing for this type of thing is away out of line.

It's not only in the impaired "arena" where penalties are too low...it's through out the justice system.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Simnut wrote:

It's not only in the impaired "arena" where penalties are too low...it's through out the justice system.

Agreed. I have previously said or alluded to this fact.

If you want to split hairs you are probably right about my comparison, but what if I said randomly shooting down the street or where ever. Again you are probably right about the intent part (legally" but I still feel that if someone drives impaired or shoots a gun randomly, it is with the knowledge of the dangers and should be treated as serious as possible. Manslaughter would be a case of "where penalties are too low" IMHO.

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I've drove too many miles half cut or more to throw stones at this guy.

I drove impaired the first day I put a car on the road and never changed my ways till i quit drinking not long ago.

Close to 30 years and luckily no accidents or impaired charges.

Many times I woke up not remembering coming home and looking out the window to see my car parked crooked thinking,, crap! I have to quit drinking before I kill someone .

cory killed 2 people, but he has also ruined his own life, his children are without a father, who knows how his family will survive without a provider.

I don't have the answers to stop people from drinking and driving but I think if new drivers adopt a zero tolerance attitude from day 1 it might save a few lives down the road

Return to “B.C.”