Disabled missing basics

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Disabled missing basics

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

this story presented on castanet http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/115307/ ... s#comments
is personally very relevant to myself.

in the last year i have come to know an individual in my community that is afflicted with a severe mental health issue that has them very much disabled and incapable of fending for themselves according to societal norms.

i have managed to earn this person's trust and we are now friends, and via that friendship 'Pat', as i will call this person, has allowed me to advocate on their behalf. this has proven to be much more difficult than i ever imagined.

as a result of an application we submitted originally in october 2013, then resubmitted this march, pat is now a recipient of social assistance benefits totaling $610 a month.

i searched and found another article about ag jones' report that suggests we should be able to get that figure up to $906 potentially.

The ministry’s program was designed to assist vulnerable people whose disabilities leave them financially dependent. Among other supports, it provides monthly assistance of $906, but that has not been adjusted since 2007, Jones said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e18705968/

i am not aware of the program that is referenced, but after cursory viewing of the ministry website, which i had thought i had searched thoroughly previously, i am still unable to find the 'program' reported.

when i was able to finally achieve an assumed monthly benefit of $610 for pat, i was happy i was able to, but really that figure is appallingly inadequate.

jones' report, which i have yet to read, supposedly "says that people living with disabilities already face many challenges, but the program that should be simple and accessible is not." i can attest to this being true.

it has been my experience now that pat would never have been able to get basic social assistance alone, and from what i know there is essentially no way that any help for pat would have ever come to pat save the day the rcmp or an emt might have come to be aware of pat's plight. even then i have no faith that pat would have received the help needed.

in my journey to get pat hooked up with some basic identification, a bank account, and other necessary credentials to access among other things healthcare and the social assistance application process, i found myself overwhelmed with the complexity and difficulty of the process. i again cannot imagine for a second pat could have achieved this alone.

i will admit that prior to reading the castanet and globe articles i was optimistic that i would be able to secure considerably more for pat eventually than the potential $906 i have just learned of.

now i find myself stunned that i live in a society and community that is of the belief that a disabled and financially dependent individual is only afforded this small amount to survive on.

that there is such a difficult, complex and seemingly hidden method to access even this minimal support is shameful.

governance and public office is nothing that interests me as a vocation, but providing input to the same certainly is. formulating that input is not simple i know, that is coming up with input that is actually received and possibly acted upon.

based on my efforts to help my friend pat i can honestly say the 'government' of british columbia has no interest in, and seemingly puts no effort toward actually helping people like pat, and rather makes individuals such as pat navigate an exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, labyrinth to access even the tragically small allowance we have found so far.

we are still now struggling through an unfairly slow process to get pat recognized as 'disabled', but i believe we will be successful soon.

i am going to continue to search for the referenced program, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Disabled missing basics

Post by coffeeFreak »

Good for you for helping someone muddle through this very difficult journey. It is overwhelming to many who struggle with mental and/or cognitive difficulties. This next application process will be even more of a challenge. There is a greater benefit for those who collect Person's With Disability (PWD) as they will also receive additional limited dental and prescription support, as well as a discounted bus pass.

http://www.sdsi.gov.bc.ca/pwd/apply.htm

Another program available to those 60 or over is the rental subsidy for seniors program called SAFER program:

http://www.bchousing.org/Options/Rental_market/SAFER/Eligibility
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

coffeefreak, your contribution is/was so very much appreciated. it would seem you have provided confirmation that i do indeed have pat on the right path.

here is the introduction the report spoken of in the original articles, and a link to the full report in various formats.
funny that so many clicks are required for a report on the hurdles to accessibility.

About 550,000 British Columbians identify as having a disability. Almost every British Columbian has a friend, family member, neighbour or co-worker living with a disability. The majority of supports for persons with disabilities are provided by friends and family members—this is an issue that affects almost every British Columbian at some point in their lives.

B.C. has set the vision of becoming the most progressive jurisdiction for people living with disabilities in Canada, reducing systemic barriers faced by people with disabilities in their everyday lives. This can only be achieved by creating a disability strategy that reflects and respects the needs and wants of people living with disabilities in British Columbia and, per the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, this must be done in partnership with the disability community.

From Dec. 3, 2013 to March 11, 2014, the B.C. government held a comprehensive public consultation to provide British Columbians living with a disability and their friends, families, community members, disability advocates and employers an opportunity to share their thoughts on what government, businesses and communities can do to reduce barriers and increase accessibility for people living with disabilities.

Government cannot and never has supported the needs of persons with disabilities in isolation—support has always been provided by friends, family members, community, non-profit agencies, government and employers. It’s important that all of these groups have the opportunity to share their thoughts on how B.C. can move towards being the most progressive place for people with disabilities to live in Canada.

Currently, the B.C. government spends over $5 billion dollars on supports and services for people with disabilities. These programs are delivered by ministries across government and a number of Crown agencies and organizations.

Find information about government services available for people with disabilities in B.C. at www.gov.bc.ca/disabilityservices.

http://engage.gov.bc.ca/disabilitywhite ... on-report/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Did you get my pm?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

coffeeFreak wrote:Another program available to those 60 or over is the rental subsidy for seniors program called SAFER program:
http://www.bchousing.org/Options/Rental_market/SAFER/Eligibility

Not eligible for this program if a person or their family receive income assistance through the B.C. Employment and Assistance Act or the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act (excluding Medical Services only).
See more at: http://www.bchousing.org/Options/Rental ... qp9lb.dpuf
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

I often wonder were are the parents and the siblings of these people and why don't they reach out to help there own?
there has to be some sort of social responsibility on the familys part
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

From what I understand one amount is considered temporary and the higher permanent. Once you have established the temp I think you have to reapply for the permanent. This involves more medical evaluations and such but with time will happen.

wanderingman wrote:I often wonder were are the parents and the siblings of these people and why don't they reach out to help there own?there has to be some sort of social responsibility on the familys part

Unfortunately in many cases the person has walked away from the family who can't do anything but watch. Force feeding medication/forcible restraint is not allowed so what can you as they destroy themselves/friends/support and quite often their surroundings and limited incomes.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Unfortunately in many cases the person has walked away from the family who can't do anything but watch. Force feeding medication/forcible restraint is not allowed so what can you as they destroy themselves/friends/support and quite often their surroundings and limited incomes.

Understood but take my dead beat brother who,s kid has downsyndrom.Him and his AH wife could not hardly wait till he could get her in a home payed for by you and I and wash his hands of looking after her. I say he should be at least partially $$$ responsible
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

wanderingman wrote:Understood but take my dead beat brother who,s kid has downsyndrom.Him and his AH wife could not hardly wait till he could get her in a home payed for by you and I and wash his hands of looking after her. I say he should be at least partially $$$ responsible

Sometimes people need help such as parents with a child with mental illness. They do their best but without some support the situation can quickly become overwhelming. In your example aren't you family? Shouldn't you also then be partially responsible?
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Ox13Y quote:Sometimes people need help such as parents with a child with mental illness. They do their best but without some support the situation can quickly become overwhelming. In your example aren't you family? Shouldn't you also then be partially responsible?

quickly overwhelming?? he had the kid at home for 17 years its not like suddenly one day there was this problem?

should I also be partly responsible?? *removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 24th, 2014, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack removed
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

wanderingman wrote:quickly overwhelming?? he had the kid at home for 17 years its not like suddenly one day there was this problem?

should I also be partly responsible?? *removed*

wanderingman wrote:I often wonder were are the parents and the siblings of these people and why don't they reach out to help there own? there has to be some sort of social responsibility on the familys part

So you are not family to your brother's child? I would have thought you were her uncle. If you feel so strongly that family should be the one to foot the bill why did you not take in your niece or help with the cost and care? I don't think it's stupid to see how hypocritical you are being.

As far as my overwhelming comment goes I was not specifically talking about your brother's situation but rather that there are people out there that very much need help.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Being on disability has been a very hard fought road, in which they DO make eveerything hard, and do not tell you a lot. You have to 'find' out on your own. Every dr letter my doc wants 140.00 to fill out. Do that a few times a year. You think I can pay dental? And the way they talk to is demoralizing. It is very, very sad indeed.

Return to “B.C.”