Arrest Made in Julie Paskall murder

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Arrest Made in Julie Paskall murder

Post by the truth »

GREAT NEWS
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
canada bound

Post by canada bound »

Some closure to this Sad event!
Last edited by canada bound on Oct 24th, 2014, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

Suspect Yosef Jomo Gopaul charged in the murder of Julie Paskall outside Newton hockey arena

BY GLENDA LUYMES AND JENNIFER SALTMAN, THE PROVINCE MAY 24, 2014 11:57 AM

A man has been charged with murder in connection with the Julie Paskall homicide investigation.

The murder charge was sworn against Yosef Jomo Gopaul Saturday morning, according to online court records related to Paskall’s homicide file.

Gopaul was born in 1987, according to the records. A judge ordered his detention Saturday, with his next court appearance scheduled for Monday.

A man with the same name appears to have a past criminal history and was charged with aggravated sexual assault in a New Year’s Day attack in 2010 in Brampton, Ontario.

On Friday evening, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team confirmed an arrest had been made in the Paskall case, but said no charges had been laid at that time.

A media conference is scheduled for Saturday afternoon at which IHIT and Surrey RCMP investigators are expected to release further details. Police said Paskall’s family will be in attendance.

Paskall was waiting outside Newton Recreation Centre to pick up her son on Dec. 29, 2013, when she was attacked in what police believe was a botched robbery.

She died in hospital just days later on New Year’s Eve, leaving behind Al, her husband of 35 years, and two daughters and a son.

The death sparked an outpouring of concern about public safety and the rise of crime in the Newton area.

Paskall’s husband Al spoke publicly at a memorial in January, asking the crowd to “look way inside and think about what’s happened here.”

“We don’t need to change the laws, we don’t need to change the courts, we need to change ourselves,” he pleaded.

Paskall’s sister-in-law Joan Ross had also previously spoken to The Province about safety in the community in the wake of Paskall’s death.

“I think that people need to take back their power, their own personal power, and that will help them take back their community,” said Ross.

“We can’t take back Julie’s death, but we can take back the meaningless nature of her death.”

Despite receiving a number of tips about Paskall’s death, investigators had been unable to track down a suspect until now.

News of the arrest broke a few hours before a planned concert in memory of the Surrey mom at the Wise Hall in Vancouver Friday night.

Organizer Cherelle Jardine was shocked to hear of the arrest.

“Oh my God,” she said. “That’s amazing.”

Jardine, who along with her daughter makes up the band The Jardines, did not know Paskall, but was touched by her tragic death.

“That she was just waiting for her son and ended up being killed. It was shocking,” she said.

Al Paskall’s co-worker and friend Johnny DeMarco said he was shocked by the news.

“I’m a little freaked out about it right now,” he said Friday evening.

DeMarco, who was one of the organizers of the concert for Paskall, heard the news from a neighbour.

“We were going to talk about how there’s been no closure (at Friday night’s concert), but now I don’t know, I don’t know where this leaves it.”

DeMarco was working with Al Paskall as a longshoreman when they got to talking about the tragedy.

“I felt so bad for him. I thought, ‘What can I do? I wish there was some way to help him.’”

DeMarco said the concert was a way to remember Paskall and support a cause she cared about, the Variety Children’s Charity.

He said the Paskalls had been “bombarded” by publicity after the mother’s death — “I think the family is pretty tired right now.”

http://www.theprovince.com/news/vancouv ... story.html
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Every time I read about something like this murder of a completely innocent mother I am reminded that the rewriting and reinterpretation of out Canadian Bill of Rights (aka charter), by PET and his left wing extremists continues to completely fail the Canadian people.

There now seem to be as many dangerous people outside of our jails and mental health treatment centres as there are inside of them. All because our Criminal Court "justices" now hold that that such people are NOT a danger to themselves or others.

The human tragedy continues.

Return to “B.C.”