No trial for CPR-stopping cop?

goatboy
Guru

Re: No trial for CPR stopping cop ?

Post by goatboy »

There's a very big difference between an honest mistake and wilful negligence. There's nothing illegal about being wrong.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

BelieveNothing wrote:It strikes me as ironic that people think the RCMP should not be required to be mental health professionals, but here it would seem that the RCMP take it upon themselves to be medical professionals.

Strange that.

The rcmp officer should have allowed the first responder to continue with his course of action.

Cops seem to always think they know best.

Proof is in the puddin!

Not all cops... that would be like me suggesting you are a know-it-all.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No trial for CPR-stopping cop?

Post by Smurf »

From the article:

The office says when the RCMP officer arrived, he checked the driver's pulse and, because he thought the man was breathing, he ordered the person to stop CPR.

Sounds to me like the officer did everything correct, at least according to the training I took. No one know if he did a correct assessment and conditions changed again or if he made an improper assessment, but either way he did what he should have.
I think this is a case of the news media trying to make more out of it than was truly there.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

BelieveNothing wrote:It strikes me as ironic that people think the RCMP should not be required to be mental health professionals, but here it would seem that the RCMP take it upon themselves to be medical professionals.

Strange that.

The rcmp officer should have allowed the first responder to continue with his course of action.

Cops seem to always think they know best.

Proof is in the puddin!

You have no clue what you are talking about!!! *removed*

Police are usually the first on the scene of accidents/incidents and do their best to prevent further injury to everyone involved, and for that YOU should be thankful when the time arises for you to need them. This officer made his best professional decision (a decision many others would have made), and until you are put into this situation, just be quiet.

Oh, by the way....are you perfect? If so, perhaps you should join the RCMP....as you think this is a qualification for that job.
Last edited by Merry on May 28th, 2014, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Last edited by BelieveNothing on May 28th, 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

RCMP member charged with not stopping someone who was performing CPR on an critically injured motorist.

When the RCMP member arrived on scene a civilian was performing CPR on an injured driver. When the office checked the man he detected a pulse and breathing but refused to stop the person administering CPR. Consequently, the driver died from complications of CPR being performed unnecessarily. A complaint was filed by a civilian at the scene because he felt the officer did not use his training adequately and should have taken control of the scene, as he is trained to do. When asked why he didn't stop the civilian from administering CPR, he replied "Ask Believe Nothing".
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

do you have a source? sounds like a fable to me.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Naturally the cop haters are all over this, but one thing I learned when I took CPR training (several times) is that when the heart starts beating on its own, you stop doing CPR. The police officer obviously thought the man's heart was pumping so he told the other person to stop. An honest mistake.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

How flattering :)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

techrtr wrote:Naturally the cop haters are all over this, but one thing I learned when I took CPR training (several times) is that when the heart starts beating on its own, you stop doing CPR. The police officer obviously thought the man's heart was pumping so he told the other person to stop. An honest mistake.

theres no mistaking a pulse or not lol thats just silly unless u think zombies are real
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Catz wrote: You do NOT do CPR if the patient is breathing and has a pulse.
If they have a pulse, but no breathing, they you do the breathing only.
Why the hell would you do CPR on someone that has a pulse and is breathing?
If they respond to the CPR, you stand back, and continuously reassess ..the condition can change for many reasons.

But what if you’re still desperately looking for any precarious excuse to blame the police for doing something wrong ?

Can I start another thread ?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

myself, i am questioning the actions of a single rcmp member, and not 'the police'.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

As has been pointed out, according to the article he did everything right. What are you questioning.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

as i previously stated, given that the emts were as close as they were, 20 to 90 seconds away, and the cop didn't get a pulse, and the attending civilian applying the first aid felt cpr should continue until the emts arrived, the cop should have let the emts make the call.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “B.C.”