Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

simnut
Übergod

Re: Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

Post by simnut »

Dizzy1 wrote:Other breeds have very similar breeding histories, such as Boxer's, yet they more than often end up in loving homes than in the hands of some idiot who can't even figure out how to keep his pants on his waistline.

Why is it then that the pit bull is up front all the time? Why is it then that the idiot wants to have a pit bull instead of a boxer? Simple answer, because of the breed!

Dizzy1 wrote:Any mastiff type breed can cause just as much damage, yet where's the out cry to ban Cane Corsos or Boxers? Nope, always gotta ban the breed that's portrayed as bad by the media and generalization.

Check the stats as to how many mastiff type breeds attack and maul as compared to the pit bull. Simple answer......not NEAR the level of pit bulls.

I'm not totally in agreeance with banning a breed...I'm just trying to explain why that issue is even an issue.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not hard to understand really
pitbulls are the num 1 dog for killing people, it is in there DNA people
a certain breed has to be num 1, they happen to be it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Dizzy 1 hit on an important point. The studies I read, including the one by the Australian Veterinary Association opposing the breed specific bans, point out that fighting breed ownership is disproportionately higher in the low and lowest socioeconomic groups. Unfortunately, that means the odds of "responsible ownership" and "responsible breeding" are very low.

An interesting point regarding dog attacks is that male dogs are much more likely to attack and unneutered male dogs much more likely to attack. Statistically, 2.6 x 6.2 = 16.1 times more likely to attack.

The pit bull that brought about the end for my neighbor's old dog? An unneutered male that didn't even have a collar on, let alone a leash. The owner? Shaved head, tats, renter, know he's coming blocks away from the boom box blaring out rap music...etc. Paid the $1,000 fine and got his dog back. The most infuriating part of that story? The bylaw officer "knew" the dog and owner...

Compare that to the lesson my dad taught me when I was a kid. We had a male dog that was aggressive and he got out and attacked a neighbor's dog, causing some injuries - my dad's decision? The dog never came home again - he had it put down. My dad explained to me that you can not be a responsible citizen and own a dog that endangers others or their pets (in much simpler terms that a kid could digest).

Another interesting anecdotal observation: I can't recall seeing a pit bull or other fighting breed with a "grey hair" at the end of the leash...

I understand the position of responsible owners. Obviously the intent is not to take away their pets that are well trained etc. and part of their families. The intention is that if you own one of the fighting breeds, you keep it responsibly, and that it be neutered/spayed and properly controlled. The ban would apply to breeders very quickly - say 90 days + gestation period, so that no pups need to be euthanized. The option for fighting breed dogs that do cause a serious problem - sorry, you pay the fines and the cost of rehab for the dog, and don't get the dog back. If the dog is not rehabilitated. euthanasia. That is sad, as it is partly a reflection of the past owner, and partly a reflection of the breeder.

The reality is that going forward there is no need for people to continue the future line of fighting breed ownership. There are plenty of large breeds that just don't cause the problems that fighting breeds do. Nobody wants to take away your pets. We just want to stop the line of fighting breed ownership when your pet has reached its natural end.

As with many things in a civil society, the "lowest common denominator" places some restrictions on on responsible citizens. I'm asking that responsible owners of fighting breeds step up, and recognize that as responsible citizens, that this is genuinely a concern for public safety - especially when you expand that definition to family pets (as I do).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:Why is it then that the pit bull is up front all the time? Why is it then that the idiot wants to have a pit bull instead of a boxer? Simple answer, because of the breed!

But that's not the dogs fault - its ours and we need to change that. We need to change the way we perceive certain breeds and bring them into more responsible households. Its the image of the breed that these idiots want to portray - just like gangster wannabes feel the need to portray a bad *bleep* image to drive around in pimped out SUVs and 300s.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:not hard to understand really
pitbulls are the num 1 dog for killing people, it is in there DNA people
a certain breed has to be num 1, they happen to be it

Then lets change that
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

like you said ,people have to change it, and from what I see in this town most pitbull owners are a bunch of wanabs.
.they get pitbulls for one reason and it not the good reason
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:like you said ,people have to change it, and from what I see in this town most pitbull owners are a bunch of wanabs.
.they get pitbulls for one reason and it not the good reason

And do you feel that's enough reason to punish a breed? I don't.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

no its not the breeds fault, its the sob;s owners fault
its just the way it is.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

the truth wrote:no its not the breeds fault, its the sob;s owners fault
its just the way it is.

you talking (post) is a emotional opinion not based on fact.Its a FACT as I alluded to in a earlier post PITBULLS are
unstable unpredictable canine. end of story. all bad owners do is add to the dangers of this dangerous dog breed
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

the truth wrote:no its not the breeds fault, its the sob;s owners fault
its just the way it is.

Thinking outside the box, it is the breeds "fault", because of it's capability. Would you be ok with someone keeping a lion in their home, taking it for a walk...etc? If not, why not? Because of it's capability, both in mindset and physical ? Keep in mind, i'm not for banning a breed, but more control has to be applied when it comes to these very capable dog breeds.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jun 8th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repost with accurate quotations
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

For the sake of argument; if as many of you have pointed out, the "tough guys" use the breed as a symbol of strength and power and intimidation, let's ask ourselves why? Why did they choose this breed over all others?

A big German Shepherd can strike fear as can a Doberman and even a boxer has a certain strength about it that can make it look tough but the d bags choose Pitbulls.

They choose them for all of the reasons that have been offered. They are instantly recognizable. Their reputation precedes them. Many people are automatically afraid or at the least, wary of them and if the dog does fight, it wins by submission or death which is the goal.

These dogs have the blood line and the history. They were bred to be aggressive and apparently it's not easy to breed that aggression out.

I 100% agree that a bad, irresponsible owner only adds to the potential for catastrophe but many of the proponents and lovers of the breed are seemingly overlooking and dismissing the instances where these dogs went off on owners and kids and other dogs OUT OF THE BLUE. Unexpectedly where there had been previously no signs.

Many stories are exactly the same as yours. Had the dog(s) for years. Grew up with my cat and kids and hamsters. Never ever showed any signs of aggression. And that holds true to this day for you and that is fabulous. Your dog is exactly what you need and want it to be.

And for the large part, it will stay that way, probably but you cannot escape the truth. That there are far too many cases of unexpected violence from dogs just like yours which cannot be explained.

Unless you look at the history and the lineage. This kind of behavior is like embedded code. Just like many other breeds who were molded to exhibit specific types of behavior a hundred or more years ago and they still do today.

No to BSB and yes to structured and effectively administered BSL with an eye toward making it extremely difficult for D bags to get their hands on this type dog.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I've noticed that pitbulls seem to be the most commonly available dog at the pounds, etc. these days. I have wondered why that is so (have not drawn conclusions).

Awhile back, my grandson and I were hiking on Galiano. We came across a man with two very old border collies, both on leashes. They waddled along, very slow, right by his side. We were all heading the same direction, my grandson and I were behind the guy with the dogs.

From the other direction came two women with two pitbulls that were off-leash. One of the pitbulls saw the old border collies - which were doing nothing except walking docilely alongside their master - and attacked it. My grandson started forward, god knows what he was thinking, but I told him, sharply, 'no, go back!' and he started to RUN back, probably startled by my tone. That in itself was dangerous, so I let out a loud primal roar, 'NO!!!! STOP!!!!' and bu gpd it stopped everything. Grandson AND dog attack. It gave the women (I should qualify that: the STUPID women) a chance to get their dogs on leash, which they did.

Then the women actually thought we would try to pass them with their dogs on the very narrow trail. The border collie owner told them they would just have to go back the way they came (a fair hike to the road, which was the only spot where there was room to safely pass). Luckily they did so. Had it been a couple of yahoo tough guys, things might have been different.

This past weekend we went to Galiano again, and up at Bodega Ridge came three young people with a pitbull, again off-leash (not the same people). I got my grandson behind me the second I saw the dog, and had a hiking pole at the ready (packed for this very reason, they are handy stabby things). The dog did rear up on high alert, and looked aggressively at us (the owners, of course, made no attempt to do anything about that). It started toward us, then did nothing, which was a very good idea on its part.

I'm conflicted about the breed. I feel that the breed does draw a lot of people who like having an intimidating dog. And unfortunately, I've only ever come across (with one wonderful and notable exception) pitbulls that have that intense alert ready-to-attack hostile look, and they are always with people who seem quite pleased about the intimidation factor, adding to it with their own cold looks.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

your story says it all imo jo
ban these dogs within city limits, most pitbull owners seem to fit the I a,m better than everyone else attitude
and if you do not like it my pitbull will take a piece of your a..

I can go on all day as to how many pitbulls I see off leash in this town

Return to “B.C.”