Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

Post by Daspoot »

I was unfortunate enough to witness a Pitbull shred a housecat while his two owners tried to stop him with a shovel. The dog didn't even flinch and just finished the job undeterred.

i also knew a few great Pitbulls that wouldn't harm a fly, but somewhere, deep down, I still see that dog killing the cat and nothing anybody did made a difference, I don't know too many other dogs that have that in them.
On a different forum
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Daspoot wrote:I was unfortunate enough to witness a Pitbull shred a housecat while his two owners tried to stop him with a shovel. The dog didn't even flinch and just finished the job undeterred.

i also knew a few great Pitbulls that wouldn't harm a fly, but somewhere, deep down, I still see that dog killing the cat and nothing anybody did made a difference, I don't know too many other dogs that have that in them.

I'm sorry you that happened and understand how a traumatic event would cloud your view.

I have an APBT with a very high prey drive. I was able to introduce a kitten into our home and have had no issues in three years. The cat walks right by her dragging her tail across her face now, she's kind of a jerk lol.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

A few thoughts on the last few posts.

Never leave the premises with dogs outside unattended. You have no control over what happens which is pretty obvious. Aside from potential fights between the dogs there are all sorts of other troubles that could occur.

Any large dog is capable of more damage than a smaller dog. Pitbulls do not have any different structure as far as biting goes compared to dogs of other breeds.

Any study that uses news reports must be taken with a grain of salt. It is a fact that the media publishes stories on pitbulls more than any other type of dog. If it involves a pitbull type dog the headline reads "Pitbull", if it is any other bred the headline reads "Dog". We see this is true in our area as GSD dogs were responsible for the largest number of attacks per the CORD report but not one story was published in the media regarding attacks on people or other animals by GSD dogs. There are very few published by any other breeds either.

So many of these stories would have have happened if people contained their animals. Leash laws, closed doors and leashes would reduce these stories drastically. I am unable to walk my dogs publicly because of how many other people do not contain their animals.

There should be programs in elementary school teaching kids on dog safety. Many of these stories occur when kids innocently try to physically interact with animals and they are harmed. I think an education program may help reduce those numbers.

We should set up mandatory spay/neuter with exemptions for active show/working dogs or for health reasons. Reducing the amount of BYB puppies being given out to anyone who will take them is a good thing.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Thank you for your last post Jenny. I read in it a hint of realization though that you are very well aware of the propensity for grievous damage with the breed in question in how you talked about not being able to walk your dogs in the company of others.

You are dead on that there are many who don't think it's a big deal to let their dogs rapidly/"playfully" approach other dogs in off leash parks with no consideration for the possible outcome.

I would venture to say that you are aware of the damage yours could inflict if they were faced with a rambunctious and curious dog of any breed or size.

That kind of is the point I am trying to make; that it's the amount of damage that the breed can inflict versus most others.

I have had dogs all my life. I have seen little guys go at it and big guys. I have never seen a case where two dogs were fighting where they couldn't be restrained and called off by their owner though.

Pitbulls seem to go into a kind of trance/laser focus state when they engage and it takes extreme force to remove them.

While their jaws may not be physiologically different for other breeds they do posses a freakish strength and determination that others just don't have.

If you would just at least consider that there are many cases where seemingly gentle PBs suddenly and without any obvious provocation attacked and caused severe damage and sometimes death, we will have made some headway because you seem like the type of person who does care and is responsible.

A bit guarded maybe but otherwise dedicated.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Well you are reading that into it. Larger or more muscular DOGS are capable of more damage. Period.

I believe it is an extremely rare case that a dog goes off unprovoked. Many times the owners overlook warning signs or don't know how to recognize them.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

it is the owners that are idiots, ban them from owning dogs.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

mexicalidreamer wrote:T

Pitbulls seem to go into a kind of trance/laser focus state when they engage and it takes extreme force to remove them.

While their jaws may not be physiologically different for other breeds they do posses a freakish strength and determination that others just don't have.

This!!! It cannot be denied by anyone, even by those that have owned, or do own a loving family pit bull. This is what makes them an interesting situation. They were bred for a certain job.....gripping .....hanging on till the hunter can finish the job. From there they were used in blood sports and dog fighting, where the "freakish strength and determination" was their survival in those so called sports. Sure, many will use the line "they were bred to be nannies" which is way off the mark...although they have been known to BE excellent for that. But that's not what they were bred for.

Every breed shows it's characteristics for its breeding past. Smaller terriers designed for rat hunting etc. love to go into small holes....chase things at ground level....are noisy...all part of their "job breeding". Labs and retrievers will do many things naturally when seeing a bird for the first time...part of their breeding. Herding dogs take to herding naturally....have even seen herding dogs herd a group of kids to keep them safe. Watch the way a young Border Collie moves.....everything to do with herding!

The same goes with the pit bull. Whether you like it or not, you see the results of past breeding within these dogs. Stella, our next door neighbour's dog , is a beautiful pit bull. I love her. She is welcome, and does....come into our house any time the door is open. She will sit on my lap to watch tv, or watch her "boss" work outside. lol She gets along excellent with our terrier cross and lab, but has done "damage" to both of them while playing. A hint to her past breeding. And everything is done at her terms.....you don't approach her, she approaches you. As much as I love her, and she loves me (I think, I hope), I would not enter their house when no one is around. There is an edge to her that you have to be aware of, and THIS is what responsible owners realize.

My neighbor, and I'm quite certain many other pit bull owners, know what their dog can do. How many of you owners jokingly speak about the unlucky thief that breaks into their house with a pit bull present or about the protection your dog will provide if attacked? Right there a pit bull owner admits to the potential of their pit bull, their pet.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I believe it is an extremely rare case that a dog goes off unprovoked. Many times the owners overlook warning signs or don't know how to recognize them.

Several of the articles I read by several different sources write about how deceptive some members of the breed can be which may explain why "warning" signs are missed.

I read about one instance where the dog dropped down into it's playful stance and when the owner reacted to what he thought was going to be a rough and tumble situation, the dog leaped at him and grabbed him by the face.

No prior history.

I don't know Jenny if it was you who mentioned that the press seems fixated on Pitbull attacks but I have a reply for that.

They are fixated because of the sheer volume of attacks committed by this breed.

If it was German Shepard's or Dobermans or any other particular breed that was guilty of the same preponderance for mayhem, they would report on them but it isn't.

The press didn't single this breed out for over zealous reporting. The number and severity of instances placed the spotlight on this type of animal.

Again, BSL is not the answer. Total understanding of the possibility of unprovoked or provoked for that matter, attacks has to be the mandate for everyone who owns this breed.

And some simply won't so let's make it really tough for them to own these dogs. Heavy fines, jail, criminal records, full restitution and no "one free bite before your dog is deemed dangerous" garbage. Everyone knows or should know what they are taking on when they opt for a Pitbull so no grace period. Insurance, compliance and willing surrender in the event of a "situation".

Love them, enjoy them, respect them but for god sake, understand that this is an exceptional breed with a history of bloody battles built into them and those who wish to welcome them into their lives will be able to do so with eyes wide open and no surprises.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I don't know Jenny if it was you who mentioned that the press seems fixated on Pitbull attacks but I have a reply for that.

They are fixated because of the sheer volume of attacks committed by this breed.

If it was German Shepard's or Dobermans or any other particular breed that was guilty of the same preponderance for mayhem, they would report on them but it isn't.

The press didn't single this breed out for over zealous reporting. The number and severity of instances placed the spotlight on this type of animal.

Yes, it was me. German Shepards are the highest volume of attackers in our Regional District. That is a fact. Show me one story that reported on an attack. You can't because aside from rare exception which are labelled as dog attacks, they are not reported by the media. It's all about sensationalism.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Any large dog is capable of more damage than a smaller dog. Pitbulls do not have any different structure as far as biting goes compared to dogs of other breeds.

this is not true.the jaw power of pitbulls is second to none.based on the poor poor record pitbulls have I don't see any person with even 1/2 a brain wanting to own one
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Daspoot wrote:I was unfortunate enough to witness a Pitbull shred a housecat while his two owners tried to stop him with a shovel. The dog didn't even flinch and just finished the job undeterred.

jennylives wrote:
I'm sorry you that happened and understand how a traumatic event would cloud your view.

I have an APBT with a very high prey drive. I was able to introduce a kitten into our home and have had no issues in three years. The cat walks right by her dragging her tail across her face now, she's kind of a jerk lol.

I would say "provide perspective" rather than "cloud your view", but then having one as a beloved family pet may have clouded your view when making that post ;)

Like I said, I knew a couple of fantastic ones in my family, so I know a well trained and loved Pitbull can be a great dog. I think the real rub is that a poorly trained PB has more potential to be a real problem with dire consequences than most other breeds, and there is an unfortunate correlation between certain types of bad owners and Pitbulls.

I knew a Rottweiler whose favourite game with visitors to the house was, you throw the ball, I go get it, then drop it at your feet and pretend I'm gonna kill you if you touch it, but not even him (RIP) showed the disregard for pain and raw kill instinct that a poorly owned PB can. They can just take it to whole different level.

I'm sure your dog is not one of those dogs and it's probably welcome around me, my kids, dogs and heck even the cat. My old cat has handled dozens of dogs (including those family member PBs) over his 18 years and your well socialized Pitty isn't likely going to be a problem for him.

I do apologize for you feeling like your good dog gets unfairly lumped in with poorly handled PB's, but that doesn't change the facts that those "poorly owned" dogs of the same breed are making up a hugely disproportionate percentage of vicious attacks.
On a different forum
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/05/controversial-pit-bull-bans-result-in-fewer-dog-bites-study/

Highlights:

"The overall provincial rate of bite-related hospitalizations dropped"

"Last year, a Texas study published found a large proportion of dog-bite injuries treated at a major trauma centre were inflicted by pit bulls, and that those attacks were more likely to cause death, severe injuries, hospital admissions and higher hospital bills, noted Dr. Raghavan"

"The debate has been fuelled by conflicting statistics, mostly focused on total numbers of dog bites, regardless of the severity of the resulting injury."

However, all of these ignore Pit Bulls and other fighting breeds attacking other dogs.

According to this: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls

"Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight. They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and they’re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent. When provoked, they may become aggressive more readily than another breed might. Sometimes they don’t inhibit their bites, so they may cause injury more often than other dogs."

And that is where the problem gets worse. For many dog owners their pets are important members of the family, but are not considered in the public safety stats etc. Add in the cases where "Fluffy" got injured or killed.

I have no doubt that a properly bred, properly trained, properly socialized, and properly handled pit bull can be ok. The problem is that just doesn't happen in the majority of cases, nor is it a reasonable expectation that it can happen. And that is where the BCSPCA is off base in opposing breed specific bans.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:well there you have it pitbull owners .pitbulls kill more people than any other dogs.how much more proof do you need

I'd like to know what the owners were like as more proof. Dogs are like kids. Throw a kid in a broken home with few rules (if any) and little structure and their behavior very often reflects that. Throw a kid into a more loving home with set structure and rules, and that child will most likely behave differently.

Now take that and put it towards dogs. Look at the typical pitbull owner and look at the typical black lab owner. A lot of the pitbull owners get that type of dog for the image, just like other aspects in their lives.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'd like to know what the owners were like as more proof. Dogs are like kids. Throw a kid in a broken home with few rules (if any) and little structure and their behavior very often reflects that. Throw a kid into a more loving home with set structure and rules, and that child will most likely behave differently.

Now take that and put it towards dogs. Look at the typical pitbull owner and look at the typical black lab owner. A lot of the pitbull owners get that type of dog for the image, just like other aspects in their lives.

Many of us don't argue the fact that it is the owners upbringing of the dog that can be a major cause of bites or attacks. The point most of us bring up is the damage a pit bull can do. Two different things. You've said it yourself....read what I've highlighted. What image are they portraying having a pit bull? Power? Danger? Toughness? All attributes of a pit bull.

In BC, we can own an air rifle without a license IF it's power is below 700 fps. ANYTHING over that requires a license. Why? Because of the damage "difference". There are dog breeds that can kill, injure severely during an attack. There are dog breeds that bite once when provoked, but not in the mauling or continuous attack profile that pit bulls, rottweilers etc do. THAT is the issue! And like I've said before, the history of the breeding shows up in these dogs.

It's not so much the frequency of the attacks, it's the damage caused WHEN the attack occurs.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:And like I've said before, the history of the breeding shows up in these dogs.

Other breeds have very similar breeding histories, such as Boxer's, yet they more than often end up in loving homes than in the hands of some idiot who can't even figure out how to keep his pants on his waistline.

As I said before, every pitbull I personally know is an absolute angel and just like any other dog any of my friends own. They play with our dogs and cuddle on our laps when all tuckerd out. Why should I should be in favour of banning or even judging those dogs just by what other people think or media sensationalism?

simnut wrote:It's not so much the frequency of the attacks, it's the damage caused WHEN the attack occurs.

Any mastiff type breed can cause just as much damage, yet where's the out cry to ban Cane Corsos or Boxers? Nope, always gotta ban the breed that's portrayed as bad by the media and generalization.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”