Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Ban Fighting Breed Dogs

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 4th, 2014, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated and offensive remark
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not true for starters. Go to a dog show and you'll see the diversity of owners.
http://theabkcdogs.org/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I once dated a girl whose family was into dog breeding/showing and have been to a couple shows.

I can say without a doubt that dog show people are crazy. You'll see a diversity of crazy at a dog show. They are usually pretty responsible owners though.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Ha ha, I'll agree with that. That's part of the reason I got out of that scene. Also because I believe in keeping an animal you bring into your home for life unless there is a very good reason to re-home. Not being able to breed anymore is not a good reason. I still see those same people stabbing each other in the back while I laugh with my elderly APBT's curled around my feet.

There is a huge diversity of people who owns these dogs. If you travel through the Capri area you see several non-ganster seniors walking their happy pitties around the neighbourbood. When I held the bully pride parade we had people show up from all walks of life. It's just a stereotype not based in any facts that only those up to no good own these dogs.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Anyone promoting the banning of 'fighting breed dogs' obviously needs to get an education when it comes to dogs. This problem is 100% owners and ZERO % the dogs. If people took care of their pets properly there would be no issues.

I own 2 pit bulls and they are among the best family dogs on this earth. They are more safe around children than most dogs and they love human interaction and attention like most dogs. We stopped taking them to the dog parks because our dogs were getting attacked by other dogs regularly, none of which were other pit bulls.

I'm glad the OP posted this thread because it shows us all that there are still people who need education on this subject. Instead of banning a particular breed of dog, ban the owners who have pets that violate the laws governing pet ownership because even if you impound or euthanize his pet for attacking other pets he will end up doing it again with a different dog. STOP blaming the dog people and learn what the real problem is.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Ok. Here goes nothing.

First. I don't think that BSL is the answer either.

I think that education is the key and that restrictions on ownership can play a part and here is why I feel this way.

this topic has raged on forever. There are several forums here that were started to talk about specific occurrences and they always devolve into the ban em/don't ban em debate.

I was reading this thread and I decided to look a bit deeper than dogsbite.org because no one seems to take then seriously but I have to say that it is a very well layed out publication and they look to have done their due diligence.

So I went deeper into net world and I compiled a crude paper of my own which was based on findings from the first ten or so sites that pop up when you Google "most dangerous dog breeds".

In every case our vilified friends are at the top (except for one where they slipped to two).

In fairness, they are not alone. The top ten are pretty much repeated site to site and we all know who they are.

So does the fact they have achieved a level of infamy over the past 30 or so years mean that the breed should be banned?

I don't think it does and I don't think that it could happen even if everyone voted in favor.

What I found interesting is that there are common threads regarding the breed that come from those who created the sites in the first place and these are the ones whose lists put them at the top. They are dedicated, loyal, affectionate, playful, protective and more.

On these points it seems that everyone agrees.

The problem however comes from the flip side of the breed that lists fatalities and the breeds responsible. This is where the torches and pitchforks come out.

My conclusion is that these breeds (pure and mixed but with the genetic traits) are all of the above wonderful things but that there is no denying that they are or can be unpredictable (many cases talk about attacks from animals who had never shown any signs of aggression prior to the incident and had been raised since puppyhood by "responsible" owners) and the real problem is that when they do attack, they are capable of inflicting catastrophic damage because they don't let go and they are unbelievably strong. And single minded.

If Pekinese dogs take a shot at you, you're likely to survive even if blood is drawn but if a pitbull decides to take momentary leave of it's faculties, the results can be grievous. This explains why there are no forums dedicated to yappy yappertons and their tendencies toward humans as a delicacy.

So here in lies the rub.

If those of you who truly see your pittys as gentle, loving etc which I have agreed they are known for,can look at the issue practically, I think that those of you who are intelligent and thoughtful will be able to understand why there is a stigma laying at the feet (paws) of your chosen companion.

And if you are willing to accept the statistics that have been compiled by several different individuals and organizations over the years as being even "semi" accurate, I think you would see that there is need for controls as far as the situations where these breeds are allowed and that the owners should need to demonstrate that they are capable of willingly and properly looking after the dogs in the interest of no one getting killed or maimed. I.E. not around children and not owned by known *bleep* bags with inferiority complexes.

Will it be easy to make these assertions and determinations and shape them into workable legislation? No. Who among is qualified to decide a *bleep* from a non *bleep*. Well, most of us but that comes from years of actively passing judgement on those who walk among us.

But I do think that it is A) necessary and B) will be more effective and practical than BSL.

No reasonable person will deny that ANY ANIMAL CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!! However, the numbers don't lie so my hope is that when all facts are taken into account, good and not so good, the shields of denial will come down from the one group and the calls for mass dogocide will also subside and those who choose to give their love to these beautiful animals will do so in a responsible, sympathetic way.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Video Link: http://www.cinewsnow.com/home/Roxanne-H ... 02751.html

Please watch this video. The mom lost her daughter when two of her three dogs attacked her mother and her daughter.

She is not full of hate for the breed. She does however say some thoughtful things.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

http://www.fatalpitbullattacks.com/

Just because I am posting this stuff doesn't mean that I am a hater.

All I want as I said before is for Pitbull advocates to own the reality of their chosen breed.

This stuff is not made up and there are so many sites dedicated to telling the stories and sharing the facts.

There is little to nothing comparatively speaking about virtually any other breed.

It can't all be BS.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

What a very sad and terrible story.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Danielson99 wrote:Anyone promoting the banning of 'fighting breed dogs' obviously needs to get an education when it comes to dogs. This problem is 100% owners and ZERO % the dogs. If people took care of their pets properly there would be no issues.

I own 2 pit bulls and they are among the best family dogs on this earth. They are more safe around children than most dogs and they love human interaction and attention like most dogs. We stopped taking them to the dog parks because our dogs were getting attacked by other dogs regularly, none of which were other pit bulls.

I'm glad the OP posted this thread because it shows us all that there are still people who need education on this subject. Instead of banning a particular breed of dog, ban the owners who have pets that violate the laws governing pet ownership because even if you impound or euthanize his pet for attacking other pets he will end up doing it again with a different dog. STOP blaming the dog people and learn what the real problem is.

I simply 100% disagree. Good example was \a friend of mine has a daughter with a pit bull.good people,very responsible etc
There lab was left in the back yard one day and they came home and this lab was extremely tore up by the pitbull.it cost them over 5000$ to save the lab whom is left with only one ear.These dogs were raised together,My point is as we read in the news daily.PITBULLS are unpredictable and can go crazy at any minute for no reason.it has absolutely little to do with upbringing. Any dog rasied by idiots will bite you.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Triple 6 wrote:that is so far from "the truth".

Not really......it IS half the dogs "fault" as much as it is the owners fault. Think about it. Which breed would you want to get bitten by, a chihuahua or a pit bull? When a pitbull DOES bite, it's a mauling...not just a simple bite. THIS makes them more dangerous than other breeds, and you can't argue that fact. Now, the biting part may be the result of an owner that is not responsible....but when a pitbull bites, it does damage. That is why people are afraid of them and not so much of chihuahua's.

If a pit bulls bite was the same as a chihuahua, they wouldn't make the news either.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

mexicalidreamer wrote: Ok. Here goes nothing.

First. I don't think that BSL is the answer either.

I think that education is the key and that restrictions on ownership can play a part and here is why I feel this way....

Great post, mexicalidreamer. It was genuine and thoughtful; obviously trying to encourage open discussion.

I do particularly agree with this part of your post:

mexicalidreamer wrote:...there is need for controls as far as the situations where these breeds are allowed and that the owners should need to demonstrate that they are capable of willingly and properly looking after the dogs in the interest of no one getting killed or maimed. I.E. not around children and not owned by known jerk bags with inferiority complexes.

Will it be easy to make these assertions and determinations and shape them into workable legislation? No.
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Video Link: http://www.cinewsnow.com/home/Roxanne-H ... 02751.html

Please watch this video. The mom lost her daughter when two of her three dogs attacked her mother and her daughter.

She is not full of hate for the breed. She does however say some thoughtful things.

That is extremely sad. Poor family, especially the little girl.

BUT, is it wise to have 2 unneutered male dogs in the same house, whatever the breed..?
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

It's true that numbers don't lie, but they way they are collected, interpreted and presented can be inaccurate or misleading.It is important to understand where error and bias can be introduced. I say that not as a comment on your post, but as something to keep in mind when reading statistics, or especially when watching an investigative documentary.

I highly recommend reading this report from the US Center for Disease Control on the topic of dog breeds vs dog bites. It's got some stats on bites vs breeds between 1979-1998, a breakdown of the numbers, what they mean and how they were collected, as well as a very good discussion regarding how to prevent dog bites, and how in their opinion breed specific legislation is not the best method.

(http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationals ... eeds-a.pdf)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well there you have it pitbull owners .pitbulls kill more people than any other dogs.how much more proof do you need
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “B.C.”