Ditch Dairy

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Ditch Dairy

Post by oneh2obabe »

The undercover employee went to a supervisor and no action was taken. However, a video of the exchange shows someone identified as Brad Kooyman expressing dismay that an employee was hitting the cows.

"Watch for that and make sure nobody hits them unnecessarily," Brad Kooyman tells the employee, whose identity was not disclosed.

Veterinarian David Dykshorn said he is at the Kooyman farm two or three times a week and has never seen evidence of abuse.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/abuse-cattle- ... 51940.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

flamingfingers wrote:One would think that the owners would clue in by having to pay vet bills for things like that....oh wait - did they not get a vet in at all? A conscientious owner(s) inspects their herds DAILY to make sure the animals are thriving and HEALTHY! The 'owners' should get their quota suspended. No quota = no $$$! Plus be fined up the ying-yang.

Fancy wrote:Owner said a vet came twice a week to inspect the herd. It would seem to be a cursory visit at best.

To be the largest dairy operation the size of the herd needed would be very large, even having a Vet on site would most likely be 24/7 job.

Added later: Herd = production cows + calved cows + heifers + and calfs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Chilliwack Cattle Sales is Canada's largest, and home to more than 3,500 animals.

"The Chilliwack Cattle Sales family farm is owned by the Kooyman family. They released a statement on Monday about the video and the allegations of animal cruelty. They said they were made aware of the allegations on Friday, June 6.

These allegations are extremely serious and we are devastated by the thought that animals in our care have been harmed.

Animal care is of primary importance on our farm. We have been working with the BC SPCA and regulatory authorities and will continue to do so throughout the investigation. In addition, we will be taking any and all steps necessary to assure that no such incident takes place on our family farm in the future.

These alleged actions in no way reflect the farming and animal care standards practiced by our family or by the dairy industry. As a farming family we are committed to providing the best care for our animals and have zero tolerance for animal abuse."

Dr. David Dykshorn and Dr. Rich Vanderwal of Abbotsford Veterinary Clinic regularly visit the farm and monitor animal health.

“We have had a working relationship with the Kooyman’s for over 20 years and can speak to their integrity and care for their animals,” said Vanderwal and Dykshorn. “Animal abuse is unacceptable on any stage and we actively work with the Kooyman family to ensure the highest level of animal welfare on their farm.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1383736/emplo ... airy-farm/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:Chilliwack Cattle Sales is Canada's largest, and home to more than 3,500 animals.

"The Chilliwack Cattle Sales family farm is owned by the Kooyman family. They released a statement on Monday about the video and the allegations of animal cruelty. They said they were made aware of the allegations on Friday, June 6.

These allegations are extremely serious and we are devastated by the thought that animals in our care have been harmed.

Animal care is of primary importance on our farm. We have been working with the BC SPCA and regulatory authorities and will continue to do so throughout the investigation. In addition, we will be taking any and all steps necessary to assure that no such incident takes place on our family farm in the future.

These alleged actions in no way reflect the farming and animal care standards practiced by our family or by the dairy industry. As a farming family we are committed to providing the best care for our animals and have zero tolerance for animal abuse."

Dr. David Dykshorn and Dr. Rich Vanderwal of Abbotsford Veterinary Clinic regularly visit the farm and monitor animal health.

“We have had a working relationship with the Kooyman’s for over 20 years and can speak to their integrity and care for their animals,” said Vanderwal and Dykshorn. “Animal abuse is unacceptable on any stage and we actively work with the Kooyman family to ensure the highest level of animal welfare on their farm.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1383736/emplo ... airy-farm/

Regular visits with more than 3,500 animals to look at, sorry that not enough. They should have had Vet on staff.

I will repeat what I said at bottom of page 2:
shut this place down, remove the owners from ever opening a farm with any kind animals.

As someone who was born & raised on a farm, everything I have seen about this place makes me sick to my stomach.

Added: Hopefully the creamery they ship to will refuse their milk production.
Send emails to that creamery telling you will stop purchasing their product as long as they continue to deal with this producer.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I wont buy from dairyland ever again And yes vets can be in cahoots a frend of mine worked at Cow farm in chilliwack saw abuse Reported it and their vet said same thing didnt notice anything they were shutdown until they promised Not To Abuse the cows Again They made yogurt from the milk
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

YES!!!
Chill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

im glad milk pick up was suspended and i hope the farm and the 8 cowards gets full measure of law brought against them
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Yeah, let's get them hooked up to a milking machine, see how they like it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Saputo Is Not Taking any Milk From Chilliwack Farm and Leads Push for Strict Reform.

MONTREAL, QUEBEC--(Marketwired - June 16, 2014) - Saputo Inc. (TSX:SAP) ("Saputo" or the "Company") announces it is not accepting milk from Chilliwack Cattle Sales and is leading push for strict reform. Since Saputo learned of the animal abuse at the farm in British Columbia (BC) from which horrific images of cattle mistreatment were captured, the Company has used its position as Canada's largest milk processor to ensure the situation is being addressed and that such reprehensible behaviour, which offends not only Saputo's values but also those of its consumers and customers, does not occur in the future.

The Company has reached out to the BC Minister of Agriculture, the BC Dairy Association, the BC Dairy Council and the BC Farm Industry Review Board.

Saputo has taken the lead in bringing industry stakeholders together behind a common goal: to ensure immediate consequences for those involved, and enforceable legal measures to prevent future animal abuse.

Saputo supports the recommendation of the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) that the Canadian Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle, published in 2009, be adopted into BC law.

To set the record straight, Saputo does not own or operate any dairy farms in British Columbia, or anywhere else in Canada. Like all dairy processors in Canada, Saputo is required by law to purchase milk from the provincial milk marketing boards. While we do not own the farms, we care deeply about the way the milk we sell is produced. We will not accept milk from the BC Milk Marketing Board supplied by this farm until we are fully satisfied that strict animal welfare practices are in place.

We always strive to do the right thing and our stewardship of the public's trust in our industry is something we take very seriously. The abuse brought to light in this case should be viewed as a catalyst for change to ensure the proper treatment of dairy cattle through appropriate, enforceable and legal measures including severe penalties for offenders.

About Saputo

Saputo produces, markets, and distributes a wide array of dairy products of the utmost quality, including cheese, fluid milk, extended shelf-life milk and cream products, cultured products and dairy ingredients. We are one of the top ten dairy processors in the world, the largest in Canada, the third in Argentina and the fourth in Australia. In the US, the Company ranks among the top three cheese producers and is one of the largest producers of extended shelf-life and cultured dairy products. Our products are sold in more than 40 countries under well-known brand names such as Saputo, Alexis de Portneuf, Armstrong, Baxter, Dairyland, Dragone, DuVillage 1860, Friendship, Frigo Cheese Heads, Great Midwest, King's Choice, Kingsey, La Paulina, Milk2Go, Neilson, Nutrilait, Ricrem, Salemville, Scotsburn, Stella, Sungold and Treasure Cave. Saputo Inc. is a publicly traded company whose shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol "SAP".

http://www.marketwired.com/press-releas ... 921067.htm

Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

If the consumer boycotts Saputo are they not punishing all dairy farmers as the milk is pooled by the milk board and then purchased by the processers? That's how I see it.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

What I would like to know is: With these 8 abusive employees fired, who is taking care of and milking the cows? Are there cameras set up in the milking barns and someone monitoring them to make sure this abuse is still not happening? How about areas where cameras are not set up? the vets should be questioned in view of the hock injuries the camera clearly shows.
Chill
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Noisy Boater wrote:If the consumer boycotts Saputo are they not punishing all dairy farmers as the milk is pooled by the milk board and then purchased by the processers? That's how I see it.

VANCOUVER - Milk produced on a British Columbia farm where workers were captured on video allegedly beating cattle will be destroyed, says the industry's regulatory board.

Tuesday's announcement by the BC Milk Marketing Board came one day after dairy-food giant Saputo Inc. (TSX:SAP) said it would not accept milk from Chilliwack Cattle Sales.

The SPCA in B.C. has recommended charges against eight fired employees of the Fraser Valley farm, after Mercy for Animals Canada publicized the undercover video filmed by the group.

A notice published online by the milk board states processors do not want any product from the company until independent audits of its operations are complete.

"The board will act in accordance with processor requests and, due to a lack of market, the milk will be destroyed," the board said in the notice.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/b-c-m ... 13718.html

Edited for typo
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 17th, 2014, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

This has gone to far imo. The employees have been dealt with and if they feel they have been unfairly treated then they have options. But to toss all milk from that farm is not right. There have been suggestions that there will be a shortage of milk and we all know what that means.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GrooveTunes wrote:This has gone to far imo. The employees have been dealt with and if they feel they have been unfairly treated then they have options. But to toss all milk from that farm is not right. There have been suggestions that there will be a shortage of milk and we all know what that means.

It appears milk is once again being shipped out of this place: http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/117652/ ... milk-again.

I suspect it was causes shortages at creamery. IMO the owner needs to more than just installing camera's, first-off be more aware of every area of their operation. Secondly have a Vet on staff, who see's this herd daily.

Return to “B.C.”