Tsilhqot'in First Nation granted BC title claim by SCoC

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Tsilhqot'in First Nation granted BC title claim by SCoC

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote: Why are you so against equality, ... ?.

LOLOLOL - nice red herring zzontar. As stated, it is clear you are far more interested and determined in defending your position and making excuses for it than you are in trying to develop a more accurate and thorough understanding of the issues. Without any interest in challenging your erroneous notions there is little point in discussing them further.

zzontar wrote: Well, I'm glad blacks, Cambodians, Jews, and people from any other nation here that has suffered from institutionalized abuse in the past can live as equals with the rest of us so-called Canadians.

Wait – you forgot to bring up what the Church did to the Irish people (LOLOLOL)

Google is your friend zzontar – although I can tell you that gaining a better insight into the First Nations issue is going to take more than a little bit of reading – and that’s without the defensiveness. I wish you willingness and courage.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

No one can deny that Indians, Natives, Aboriginals, First Nation people have had their rights abused in previous lifetimes.

The Governments have gone a long way to make things right. Not sure how far back we need to go. 100 years, 500 years?

We of the Second Nation are now treated differently. We pay taxes, we have to follow conservation laws, building laws etc etc. We are becoming second class citizens. Will it be enough when our house titles are taken away and we start paying rent to the local First nation?

Equality: the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.
"an organization aiming to promote racial equality"
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

tootall23 wrote:No one can deny that Indians, Natives, Aboriginals, First Nation people have had their rights abused in previous lifetimes.

The Governments have gone a long way to make things right. Not sure how far back we need to go. 100 years, 500 years?

We of the Second Nation are now treated differently. We pay taxes, we have to follow conservation laws, building laws etc etc. We are becoming second class citizens. Will it be enough when our house titles are taken away and we start paying rent to the local First nation?

Equality: the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.
"an organization aiming to promote racial equality"

The only way in which Canadians are being treated as "second class" citizens is in the way our federal government is selling Canada out to foreign interests. Reparations and reconciliation with First Nations people has nothing to do with this. I see this SCoC decision as a means of preventing the wholesale selling out of Canadian resources to China.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote: i work with natives that do not pay taxes for same work i do, i do not feel one ounce of jealousy, because as steven says , it has not been a disneyland holiday for natives in this country since whitey showed up .

If "whitey" hadn't shown up (I'm only using your racist term to show the hypocrisy in your post) you'd be missing half your ancestry, bud. You wouldn't have been born. Does your white parent know you speak so disparagingly about him/her?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10

but ,but natives are never racist ?????
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

If "whitey" hadn't shown up (I'm only using your racist term to show the hypocrisy in your post) you'd be missing half your ancestry, bud. You wouldn't have been born. Does your white parent know you speak so disparagingly about him/her?

both my parents support natives , we grew up in terrace bc , where whitey and natives lived together in peace and respect for most part, and only reason i'm using whitey is cause some of you wont drop the word indian , which im sure in private you add a hew more colorful words to that word with bingo and booze added in for good measure. only hypocrisy is the people that want to keep the natives in poverty , sad some canadians still have cowboy mentality here :)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

keep them in poverty you say lol lol lol
how many billions have already been given to them over the last 250 years
give me a break
good one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The only people who want to keep Indians in poverty are the Indian chiefs.

It's big money and big security for the chiefs. Damned near like a union (see: Iker, Jim).

http://www.calvinhelin.com/books/dances-with-dependency
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bingo we have a winner
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Rwede wrote:The only people who want to keep Indians in poverty are the Indian chiefs.

That's very true, and corruption, favoritism and nepotism runs amok among many of the Bands, and the waste in allocation of government monies that continues is both disgusting and shameful. In addition, there is most often a split in agendas between the hereditary chiefs and those elected to power (who then owe the favours). Added to the mix are those who want to join Canadian society as equals with the same rights as we have to inherit property and land and have a say in how it is used or exploited. As stated, the issue is far more complex than some of the simplistic understandings demonstrated here. Bingo.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

lakevixen wrote:
i work with natives that do not pay taxes for same work i do, i do not feel one ounce of jealousy, because as steven says , it has not been a disneyland holiday for natives in this country since whitey showed up .

but that's the problem. we are not the past, we are the present and the present are no responsible for the past so therefore Indians should pay all taxes as we are forced to and receive no $$$$$ subsidies that we pay for and they receive
its just not right and therein lies the problem.I have indian friends,I went to school with lots of them,I play golf with one.
They laugh at us and lap up the free money. why not I would if I was one?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote: As stated, the issue is far more complex than some of the simplistic understandings demonstrated here. Bingo.
wanderingman wrote: but that's the problem. we are not the past, we are the present and the present are no responsible for the past ...

I couldn’t have provided a better example to support the points I’ve been making
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

wanderingman wrote:They laugh at us and lap up the free money. why not I would if I was one?

Please explain this " free money". I look forward to your reply.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I've asked this a number of times in the past... always with no response, but I'll try again. Does anyone think the natives would be happier if no one "stole" their land, but instead the people here just immigrated, things would be basically the way they are now, and everyone would be equal?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote:I've asked this a number of times in the past... always with no response, but I'll try again. Does anyone think the natives would be happier if no one "stole" their land, but instead the people here just immigrated, things would be basically the way they are now, and everyone would be equal?

You mean, if we didn't force them onto reserves, split their families apart putting children into residential schools where they would not be allowed to speak their language, be physically and sexually abused (something which continued as late as the late 1980s), not made their language or culture illegal so the children when grown would not fit in at home or in the cities, and intergenerational cycles of abuse and dependence born from the policies of our government ? What do you think ?

Return to “B.C.”