New Hwy Speed Limits

motokelowna1
Übergod

Re: New Hwy Speed Limits

Post by motokelowna1 »

I think i was miss understood at the speed limit or my explanation was not correct.
I travel in the right lane set limit on my Silverado to 105-110 kph but it is the when a group of other vehicles that are travelling well above the posted limit IE 130-140 kph and are two abreast and approaching from the rear (obviously) and now it is a race to overtake each other and neither will give up their lane. Inexperience of people that drive are not used to approaching speeds or just plain idiots should be taught how to drive .

My age is not the issue my experience is far better than most and Yes Hope Princeton is a great drive...I have advanced Motorbike and CAR tickets and was and advance motorcycle instructor in Australia.

One piece of advise that my mother gave me when i was 15.... Sitting next to her when she was driving and I was the impatient teenager , she round a corner lit the tires up for the next two corners leaving some impressive black marks on the road.. Pulled into the driveway with out looking at me said ,,,, ANYONE CAN SPEED AND DIE BUT IT TAKES A GOOD DRIVER NOT TO.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

XT225 wrote:Well said. My vehicle does NOT like driving at anything over about 100kmh; it revs too high; and uses considerably more gas.

Simply out of curiousity, what do you drive?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Older Toyota corolla with 1600cc motor. It doesnt like to rev high and uses far more gas at 110 than at 90 or 100.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I'm glad to see that the speed was not increased on Pelmewash Pkwy. And that the government has seen fit to put the new increased speed highway further back from the lakes.

Maybe the reduced speed will give the Pelmewash count time to recover. It's been years since the last one was actually seen.
The carnage beside the road that indicated whole families were being wiped out crossing the former highway was terrible.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

XT225 wrote:Older Toyota corolla with 1600cc motor. It doesnt like to rev high and uses far more gas at 110 than at 90 or 100.

Thanks. It is crazy how far engine tech and efficiency has come in the last 20 years. I used to have an old 2.0L Jetta that made (on a good day) 105hp. My current car has a 2.0L turbo engine that makes more then 250hp, while getting using less fuel.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The drivers that seem to have the worst time adjusting to the new 120 kph speed limit are the cars and trucks pulling camper trailers, some of which exceed the tow vehicle to towed vehicle weight restrictions.

When they go into a corner at 120 kph they suddenly realize that a trailer corners significantly different at 120 than it does at 100 kph and compound the problem by taking their foot off of the gas. When you see the brake lights come on half way around the corner you get the indication that speed has overcome driving experience.

According to those who police the Kelowna - Hope Highway the number of accidents occurring as a result of the speed-inexperience-cornering combinations has notably increased.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

So does anyone know when they are going to up the speed limit between Vernon and Oyama? I see that they have upped the limit north of Vernon to the Salmon Arm turnoff to 100 km/h, but still nothing between Vernon and Oyama even though the barrier has been in place for months now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:So does anyone know when they are going to up the speed limit between Vernon and Oyama? I see that they have upped the limit north of Vernon to the Salmon Arm turnoff to 100 km/h, but still nothing between Vernon and Oyama even though the barrier has been in place for months now.

Rumor was that it was supposed to be. Maybe after winter?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote:Rumor was that it was supposed to be. Maybe after winter?

Every time I drive that section I print off this page from the government website. If they give me a ticket for going 100 in a 90 zone, I'll simply whip out the paper and show them the truth.

VERNON - The government of B.C. will install concrete median barriers on approximately 11 kilometres of Highway 97 between Lake Country and Vernon to improve safety for motorists.

Concrete median barriers will be extended from the end of Pelmawash Parkway near Oyama to Kalamalka Lakeview Drive near Vernon. Work will start this fall. This project is expected to cost approximately $5 million.

The decision to install median barriers was made following a recent engineering safety review of the highway. The recommendation was driven by the risk of crossover accidents combined with high traffic volumes.

As a result of this engineering assessment and other engineering work completed for the Rural Highway Safety and Speed Review, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has determined the speed limit on this section of Highway 97 could be increased from 90 km/h to 100 km/h with the addition of median barrier. This change to the speed limit will be made following the completion of the median barrier project.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Glacier ...

I don't think that "whipping anything out" if you get stopped by the police is a good idea.

Except for your driver's license and registration/insurance papers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Good thing you didn't say "WOOD" ...
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

According to a few people on this thread there should only be four speeds;

fast
faster
fastest
dearly beloved, we are gathered here today
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:Every time I drive that section I print off this page from the government website. If they give me a ticket for going 100 in a 90 zone, I'll simply whip out the paper and show them the truth.

Undermining a police officer's authority with an article off of the internet? I bet they love it. Good luck with that.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Glacier ...

After you have "whipped out your article" and explained the truth to the cops don't be surprised if they "whip out their award book" and give you the opportunity to make a few hundred dollar donation to the BC Provincial Government of their choice.

I would never take the approach of explaining to the fine young officer why you should not be charged for the law he/she observed you breaking. Most cops have heard it all before. Many times.

Return to “B.C.”