New Hwy Speed Limits

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: New Hwy Speed Limits

Post by Glacier »

MAPearce wrote:"UN LIKE "

Good thing there's no unlike button :p

I hear what you're saying. All I was saying is that 120 on the freeway is not that bad. The highway was designed for faster than that anyway. I have no problem with people driving at the speed they feel comfortable, I just don't understand why people can't just let people drive past them without getting upset.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:I hear what you're saying. All I was saying is that 120 on the freeway is not that bad. The highway was designed for faster than that anyway. I have no problem with people driving at the speed they feel comfortable, I just don't understand why people can't just let people drive past them without getting upset.

Glacier wrote:If you can't handle the high speeds, feel free to take the Hope-Princeton.

We'll you're an indecisive one, ain't ya?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The highway was designed for faster than that anyway
. it seems you never drove on it
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:We'll you're an indecisive one, ain't ya?

As in can't handle the speed of traffic. Makes sense to me.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

motokelowna1 wrote:WELL i have just returned from a driving holiday and finally en-counted the 120 kph on the Coquihalla. OMG how the heck did they allow that to happen , as if the idiots that think they can drive at that speed give it a rest. The speed limit is the maximum that you can do not the minimum.

If you do not feel comfortable at highway speed you really should consider giving up your driving privileges. If traffic is moving at 130 and you are doing 105 believe it or not you are the hazard. Perhaps your reflexes are not what they used to be?
I ride a couple of different bikes and when on the smaller (slower) one traffic runs me down much quicker but at least I realize I am obstructing. Therefore I either get on it or pull over. I hope you realize the right lane is for traffic slower other traffic not than posted limit. When it comes to driving most everybody seems to feel they are better than the rest of us. My mother felt she was a good driver, she wasn't lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Midnite wrote:If you do not feel comfortable at highway speed you really should consider giving up your driving privileges.

That's a crock! There are lots of reasons not to do the "speed" limit.
Only 1 being your vehicle is not capable of doing it safely. For instance towing a 15,000lb trailer (or larger)
Try doing the speed limit driving on the Coq going up the hill to the Summit. The big trucks can't do it either and even going down the hill when pulling a large RV or trailer is it just too dangerous to do the new speed limit.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Midnite wrote:If you do not feel comfortable at highway speed you really should consider giving up your driving privileges. If traffic is moving at 130 and you are doing 105 believe it or not you are the hazard. Perhaps your reflexes are not what they used to be?
I ride a couple of different bikes and when on the smaller (slower) one traffic runs me down much quicker but at least I realize I am obstructing. Therefore I either get on it or pull over. I hope you realize the right lane is for traffic slower other traffic not than posted limit. When it comes to driving most everybody seems to feel they are better than the rest of us. My mother felt she was a good driver, she wasn't lol

So what is "highway speed" then? Many highways have a posted limit of 90km/h or 100km/h so going 105km/h certainly seems to qualify as "highway speed".

This would certainly seem to blow a hole in your thinking:
The guiding principle in establishing a regulatory speed limit is the use of the 85th percentile speed concept. This means that setting the speed limit as near as practicable to the speed limit at which 85% of traffic is traveling at or below under ideal road and weather conditions is the basis for a speed limit. This 85th percentile speed limit may then be adjusted to obtain a final posted speed limit, as determined by the traffic engineer. Factors taken into consideration for the adjustment include: safety performance of the road, geometric features such as shoulder width, number of intersections or accesses and surrounding land use.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Midnight ...

So each driver is to drive what they interpret as "highway speed"? Sounds like an excuse not to drive according to the posted speed limit.

I would think that the police love drivers like you.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Bsuds wrote:That's a crock! There are lots of reasons not to do the "speed" limit.
Only 1 being your vehicle is not capable of doing it safely. For instance towing a 15,000lb trailer (or larger)
Try doing the speed limit driving on the Coq going up the hill to the Summit. The big trucks can't do it either and even going down the hill when pulling a large RV or trailer is it just too dangerous to do the new speed limit.

As for big trucks, fuel economy and tire wear are huge costs that increase significantly with ten km/h more speed. One province i know of (Ontario)maybe others as well govern commercial truck speeds with a mandatory computer programming change limiting them to 105. Some companies in BC and elsewhere do this as well to their fleets without government regulation. So the Coq. Is full of these trucks which are incapable of anything over 105, some even slower, whether they are loaded or empty.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#120881

Must be because of the new speed limit ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Bsuds wrote:

Please reread my post. I was responding to Motokelowna who gave no indication of driving a vehicle not capable of
driving at posted speed, but seemed apprehensive on the 120 kph highway. My advice stands.
Always Sunny wrote:[quote=
So what is "highway speed" then? Many highways have a posted limit of 90km/h or 100km/h so going 105km/h certainly seems to qualify as "highway speed".

When saying highway speed I am referring to normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing.
http://drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/left-lane-blockers
note you are subject to a fine for driving at less than normal speed of traffic while in left lane. No mention of speed limit.
mva 150 (2)
Donald ,obviously , I am not a lawyer perhaps "normal" would have been a better choice of wording.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Midnite wrote:When saying highway speed I am referring to normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing.
http://drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/left-lane-blockers
note you are subject to a fine for driving at less than normal speed of traffic while in left lane. No mention of speed limit.
mva 150 (2)
Donald ,obviously , I am not a lawyer perhaps "normal" would have been a better choice of wording.

Where did Motokelowna suggest that they were a left lane blocker traveling below the "normal" speed?

There's a big difference between people who abuse the left (passing on the highway) lane by traveling below the speed limit, and those utilizing the slower right-hand lane to travel at a respectable "highway" speed. So long as these drivers are in the outside lane, it's not destroying your ability to pass on the inside lane, as you should be.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Bsuds wrote:

Well said. My vehicle does NOT like driving at anything over about 100kmh; it revs too high; and uses considerably more gas. Oh, so I get to my destination 5 mins later; big whoop! I would never hog the left lane but if the speed LIMIT (the maximum) is 110 and I'm doing 100 in the slow lane, so be it. Nowhere are there signs in B.C. that state the MINIMUM speed (they do in some countries). Of course if I were doing 70 in the slow lane and the speed limit was 110, that would be unacceptable and a hazard to others. Even if I were to do the maximum, I could never stay in the HOV lane on many highways; too many morons want to do 140 or more. Sad but true.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

motokelowna1 wrote: .....PS i drive at a comfortable 105 kph cruise control and enjoy the scenery and i get there maybe a couple of minutes later refreshed and alive ....

Always Sunny wrote:Where did Motokelowna suggest that they were a left lane blocker traveling below the "normal" speed?

The post did not give the impression of a confident driver. One should keep emotions under control. We all know normal traffic safely flows approx. 10 k above posted limit. I said I "hope" because left lane traffic should not bother a competent driver in the right lane. The 85 percentile rule acknowledges there will always be speeding.
Personally I tend to travel at normal speed and am passed at regular intervals while using left lane as little as possible.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Midnight ...

Your post gives new meaning to the cops being "out after Midnight".

On the other hand the song "I go out walking ... after midnight ... out in the moonlight ..." might be more appropriate in the event of a 40 over vehicle impoundment. Not serious.

Return to “B.C.”