New Hwy Speed Limits

Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Re: New Hwy Speed Limits

Post by Crazy Horse »

jimmy4321 wrote:Hwy speed limits didn't seem like a pressing issue . Certainly haven't heard it on the news frequently, just here and there.
So where are the brownie points coming from to make this happen?
Is this just a solution for a problem that didn't exist?

No, this has been talked about for a couple of years at least. Sensible speed limits have been in the news not just for highways and freeways, but also cities. There is a stretch of Marine Drive that is 4 lane and 70km on the Burnaby side, 50 on the Vancouver side. Crazy.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

drove the connector yesterday with the new speed limit it was a little bit touch and go but I made it back alive lol didn't even see any 10 car pile ups dead bodies nothing guess the sky isn't falling after all.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wait till winter,snow+ice+faster speeds= more, morons in the ditch
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

the truth wrote:wait till winter,snow+ice+faster speeds= more, morons in the ditch

I doubt it. Most people drive to conditions in winter. The morons who end up in the ditch drive beyond conditions no matter what the limit.
The raised speed limit won't make otherwise sensible drivers drive beyond limits.
No matter what the speed limit, the morons will always be morons, in the ditch!
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Won't they drop the limits in the winter? I thought they were using electronic speed signs for this very reason
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Beerhunter341 wrote:Won't they drop the limits in the winter? I thought they were using electronic speed signs for this very reason

That would scare the simple minded drivers of BC and they'd blame the Government of sorcery ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Beerhunter341 wrote:Won't they drop the limits in the winter? I thought they were using electronic speed signs for this very reason

This IS the plan for some of the highways; yes. Including the Coquihalla. I don't often agree with the Prov. Liberals but this time they are doing something RIGHT! Now, all we have to do is hope that people obey the freakin imposed limits and that the Fuzz enforce them.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was driving across I-90 toward Seattle one time when they had those variable speed limits up. The digital sign said 35 mph (70km/h), but I kept cruising at 70 mph because the road looked bare to me. Drove by an ambulance that was only going about 35 mph. I suppose there was the potential for black ice or something, but it all looked good to me. The moral of the story is that sometimes those signs glitch, so you have to use a little common sense.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Last week during a trip from Kelowna to Vancouver it was noted that there were a few stretches of highway where it was not clear whether the speed limit was 100, 110 or 120. In some places there was only one sign on the right hand side so that if you happened to be passing a truck on a down hill or flat stretch the sign could be missed.

Hopefully all of the signs are now posted on the right and left of the divided sections.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I do not think that the slight increase in speed will, in itself, be the cause of additional accidents. Those who did not have the driving skills and common sense needed to "keep 'er on the road" at 80, or 90, or 100, or 110 will have the same problems with "off road right" and "black ice" at 120.

The good drivers will continue to make their trips in safety.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

WELL i have just returned from a driving holiday and finally en-counted the 120 kph on the Coquihalla. OMG how the heck did they allow that to happen , as if the idiots that think they can drive at that speed give it a rest. The speed limit is the maximum that you can do not the minimum. Accidents will happen as if those peanuts who think they are Greg Moore they will be like Greg Moore .... Get real you bunch of Rsoles who actually need driving lessons. As of today another idiot is now of the road lesson learnt . I make no apologies for my outburst drive by the pedal die by the pedal .....PS i drive at a comfortable 105 kph cruise control and enjoy the scenery and i get there maybe a couple of minutes later refreshed and alive ....
Last edited by motokelowna1 on Aug 11th, 2014, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you can't handle the high speeds, feel free to take the Hope-Princeton.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Glacier wrote:If you can't handle the high speeds, feel free to take the Hope-Princeton.

You know you dont actually have to travel at that speed and as for those who think it is gospel to do so are not that smart...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Ya know ? .. this "speed " thing is just asinine .

I used to drive the Malahat . It was and I bet STILL is the most beautiful drive anyone could ever do ...

IF you'd all just SLOW DOWN and enjoy it...

What's the rush ?

Sheeesh , live a little would ya ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Glacier wrote:If you can't handle the high speeds, feel free to take the Hope-Princeton.

"UN LIKE "
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “B.C.”