ICBC refund

cate1896
Fledgling

ICBC refund

Post by cate1896 »

Does anyone remember about six or so months ago, ICBC stating that a bunch of people had been overcharged for their insurance? There was a website that you could put your plate number into and it would let you know if you were one of the people who were going to get a refund. Well, as luck would have it, I was one of the people overcharged but then I haven't heard anything since. Anyone know anything about this? I hate to just let it slide and let them keep more of my money than they're supposed to. Thanks.
IF LIFE HANDS YOU MELONS, YOU PROBABLY HAVE DYSLEXIA
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Re: ICBC refund

Post by Troy »

According to the news story about this:
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/113026/ ... k-millions
ICBC will reimburse with interest the approximately 240,000 optional insurance customers who have been overcharged by mid-July, says Mark Blucher the Crown corporation's CEO.
cate1896
Fledgling

Post by cate1896 »

Well, glad I asked! Thanks for the info!!
IF LIFE HANDS YOU MELONS, YOU PROBABLY HAVE DYSLEXIA
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

ICBC is just in the process of changing over their system and all agents have started as of July 1/14 to amend the VIN codes to reflect the correct VIC codes in the system. So once this is all in full swing I am sure that they will start issuing the refunds. Just another note,there were also lots of cars that were being undercharged based on the incorrect info in their system but they are not asking for more money from those people, but they will absorb that loss.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

blondewithbrains wrote:Just another note,there were also lots of cars that were being undercharged based on the incorrect info in their system but they are not asking for more money from those people, but they will absorb that loss.

As all the drivers in BC are the share holders of ICBC you mean "WE will absorb that loss"
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

blondewithbrains wrote:ICBC is just in the process of changing over their system and all agents have started as of July 1/14 to amend the VIN codes to reflect the correct VIC codes in the system. So once this is all in full swing I am sure that they will start issuing the refunds. Just another note,there were also lots of cars that were being undercharged based on the incorrect info in their system but they are not asking for more money from those people, but they will absorb that loss.

There was no loss!!!! The B.C Government is taking another 450 Million surplus from ICBC and putting it in general revenue. Instead of giving customers a rebate for being further overcharged on all premiums!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

cv23 wrote:As all the drivers in BC are the share holders of ICBC you mean "WE will absorb that loss"

Don't share holders usually enjoy dividends? ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

There was no loss!!!! The B.C Government is taking another 450 Million surplus from ICBC and putting it in general revenue. Instead of giving customers a rebate for being further overcharged on all premiums![/quote]

I was referring to the rating system that ICBC has been using for 30+ years....lots of vehicles were rated based on incorrect option levels...example is basic model with no options compared to the same vehicle with leather, ac, sunroof etc...the ones that were rated based on the lower model but actually had higher options will now be rated more accurately but will not be asked to compensate ICBC for past premium that they should have been charged for, compared to the ones who were overrated and will now not pay for options they dont have and will get a refund....maybe you need to do some research as there are a few companies that will sell you private insurance for the collision and comprehensive coverages but on average they really arent any better than ICBC with their rates and if you have had an accident within 9 yrs most dont wont let you use them but ICBC is required to cover you no matter what....if you dont like it then maybe you should move to Alberta and get their insurance and dont come back for holidays in BC!!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Or you get to live in BC, so bend over and take it!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

blondewithbrains wrote:...maybe you need to do some research as there are a few companies that will sell you private insurance for the collision and comprehensive coverages but on average they really arent any better than ICBC with their rates

So the $200 per year I am saving (x 2 vehicles) and have saved for several years now is not better?

Sorry but if I could get the mandatory insurance from elsewhere I sure would as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

So the $200 per year I am saving (x 2 vehicles) and have saved for several years now is not better?

Sorry but if I could get the mandatory insurance from elsewhere I sure would as well.[/quote]

I did say on average....you are obviously one that it still works for and dont have a young driver on your insurance...also check your wordings as some of them put restrictions on that most are unaware of until its too late, like health issues will void a policy if not disclosed or travelling in the US as a snowbird...But if you have an accident, they could either raise your deductible or decide you arent worth the risk and drop you...seen that happen a few times...One of the reasons that ICBC is higher is the liability, you are able to sue for higher damages in BC and with other provinces that can be limited to what you can get for injuries
Alberta : http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/ab/M ... verage.asp
BC : http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/BC/M ... verage.asp
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

blondewithbrains wrote:
I did say on average....you are obviously one that it still works for and dont have a young driver on your insurance...also check your wordings as some of them put restrictions on that most are unaware of until its too late, like health issues will void a policy if not disclosed or travelling in the US as a snowbird..

In my case they are aware of all those as I have to sign a form every year claiming medical issues etc.
I guess if they ever do any of the other thing you mention I can always return to ICBC. In the mean time I save big time.
If they can do it why can't ICBC.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Because as was said ICBC are forced to take on everyone. The private companies pick and choose and therefor greatly reduce their overall costs. It makes complete sense that ICBC would have to charge more. it would be nice if they would make the high risk ones pay the premiums to cover their own risks and give the rest of us a break.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Smurf wrote:Because as was said ICBC are forced to take on everyone. The private companies pick and choose and therefor greatly reduce their overall costs. It makes complete sense that ICBC would have to charge more. it would be nice if they would make the high risk ones pay the premiums to cover their own risks and give the rest of us a break.

While I can't argue your reasoning they still made so much profit the gov't took money from them and is using it for whatever they feel like.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

And what about ICBC going after ICBC? I have seen it in person and no one should have to go through what that person went through. Took 5 years and arbitration to obtain a settlement. The person I know had a lawyer (thank god) or "The Corporation" would have crushed them as the reality is that is their mandate. Break you so you'll sign anything. In Alberta with private insurance You are a customer and treated as such.

Return to “B.C.”