ICBC refund

my5cents
Guru

Re: ICBC refund

Post by my5cents »

rookie314 wrote:And what about ICBC going after ICBC? I have seen it in person and no one should have to go through what that person went through. Took 5 years and arbitration to obtain a settlement. The person I know had a lawyer (thank god) or "The Corporation" would have crushed them as the reality is that is their mandate. Break you so you'll sign anything. In Alberta with private insurance You are a customer and treated as such.

(took 5 years and arbitration to obtain a settlement...) I gather this was something stemming from a collision and the person was suing for injuries ? verses suing ICBC for something contractual, such as not paying for a stolen vehicle claim ?

"In Alberta with private insurance You are a customer and treated as such."

There are two types of law suits involving ICBC :

1. You have an "own damage" claim with ICBC as your insurance company or you have had a liability claim placed against you and ICBC is not fully compensating the third party and you are suing ICBC for some type of breach of contract. In this case you are "the customer"

2. You have suffered a loss, either physically or materially caused by another driver and you feel their insurance company, ICBC, has or will not compensate you the amount you feel they should. In this case you are NOT "the customer".

There are many many more law suits against insurance companies when the insurance company is indemnifying the other driver and the plaintiff (not the insurance company's customer) is trying to get more money than the insurance company is willing to part with.

Stating that with private insurance, claimant are dealing with the insurance company "as a customer" doesn't make any sense.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

Money back ? Are you all crazy? They will probably say "oh we gave it back by not charging the increased amount that we were going too"?

Get real people , money back from ICBC will happen when Fortis doesn't raise rates just before winter .it will happen when gas prices go back below a Buck a liter. Oh and don't forget to look up in the sky for the flying pigs too.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Picked up insurance for two vehicles last week. After answering the additional questions now required to make certain that both vehicles were insured under the "proper class category" the insurance on one vehicle went up a few dollars and the insurance on the other vehicle went down notably.

Interestingly neither rate change had to do with the refund, but both were initiated by the questions required to determine if either vehicle qualified for the refund.

Most of the time it is the independent agents rather than ICBC who are responsible for the errors that sometimes occur. In my case two incidents of not asking enough questions to correctly establish the correct rate classes.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Anybody get one of these yet?
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

August 20th is the start of the beginning of the starting of things now they say.

http://www.*bleep*.com/news/bc_news/ ... _Their_Way
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Donald G wrote:Most of the time it is the independent agents rather than ICBC who are responsible for the errors that sometimes occur. In my case two incidents of not asking enough questions to correctly establish the correct rate classes.

Not sure what you mean by this Donald. Are you saying that some agents are ICBC agents and some are private and the private ones are making the errors ? or that the problem isn't an ICBC system problem, just a case of their agents not obtaining the correct information.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

I can tell ya where your refund is

It's at Home Depot on the shelf between the Sky Hooks , and the Buckets of Steam .
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Know of 2 people who received a refund in mail today, one was $10. the other $120.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Got a cheque in the mail yesterday for one of my cars for $125 - cheque was made out for July 5 - month and three quarters - not bad ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

The Rooster wrote:Money back ? Are you all crazy? They will probably say "oh we gave it back by not charging the increased amount that we were going too"?

Get real people , money back from ICBC will happen when Fortis doesn't raise rates just before winter .it will happen when gas prices go back below a Buck a liter. Oh and don't forget to look up in the sky for the flying pigs too.

I received my refund check a few days ago for one of my cars. Thank you ICBC.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Friend of mine got just over $850.00 back
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To my5cents ...

There are many insurance offices in BC that handle ICBC vehicle insurance as well as private insurance for any number of other insurance requirements. A common one is house insurance.

In the case of my ICBC insurance for my two vehicles the Agent at the "multi coverage" insurance agency did not ask enough questions to correctly identify the amount that my ICBC yearly premium should have been. Each year the agent who handled my ICBC vehicle insurance apparently simply followed the Insurance " Bracket" from the year before. Until this year when a newly hired young agent noted the discrepancy and even phoned her head office to confirm her findings. The premium on one car was too high and on the other one was too low.

I had all of the coverage I wanted for that period of time but was just not paying the right price for it.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Donald G wrote:To my5cents ...

There are many insurance offices in BC that handle ICBC vehicle insurance as well as private insurance for any number of other insurance requirements. A common one is house insurance.

In the case of my ICBC insurance for my two vehicles the Agent at the "multi coverage" insurance agency did not ask enough questions to correctly identify the amount that my ICBC yearly premium should have been. Each year the agent who handled my ICBC vehicle insurance apparently simply followed the Insurance " Bracket" from the year before. Until this year when a newly hired young agent noted the discrepancy and even phoned her head office to confirm her findings. The premium on one car was too high and on the other one was too low.

I had all of the coverage I wanted for that period of time but was just not paying the right price for it.

Gotcha. Actually I think you'll find that every single insurance agent that sells auto insurance also sells ICBC. There was only one ICBC (not private, ICBC) point of sale in the province. If it's still there, it's at ICBC's Head Office at 151 W Esplanade in N Vancouver.

I had something similar many years ago. I had a truck with a winch on it. Mounted on the front. After paying for insurance for 5 or 6 years. A different agent mentioned my coverage on the winch, "theft and comprehensive". No collision. I said "What !!!" If I have an accident that is my fault, there's a bigger chance that it's the front of my vehicle that hits something, and all these years I haven't been covered ?? Her response was that the type of coverage, an "Excess Equipment Endorsement" was "usually used" for high end stereos and such and they don't get hit in an at fault collision.

Ever since then I don't trust the agents and try to ask as many questions as I can.

I've heard them give the spiel, "oh you have to buy uninsured protection in case a drunk hits you and his insurance is in breach".. That's a load of malarkey. A drunk driver, is in breach but ICBC pays the victims and goes after the drunk.
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

“by my5cents » Today, 7:52 am

I had something similar many years ago. I had a truck with a winch on it. Mounted on the front. After paying for insurance for 5 or 6 years. A different agent mentioned my coverage on the winch, "theft and comprehensive". No collision. I said "What !!!" If I have an accident that is my fault, there's a bigger chance that it's the front of my vehicle that hits something, and all these years I haven't been covered ?? Her response was that the type of coverage, an "Excess Equipment Endorsement" was "usually used" for high end stereos and such and they don't get hit in an at fault collision.”

My memory may be incorrect but seem to recall being told something similar about putting a trailer hitch on one's vehicle. If one forgets to mention the hitch to the Agent and it is not part of the vehicle's insurance policy there could be problems with ICBC in a claim. For example if one is backing up and damages another vehicle with the hitch. Even if one is rear ended there may be issues if the other vehicle ran into the hitch.

Anyway if one has a trailer hitch it's something to ask the agent to be sure there isn't a gap in the ICBC insurance for the vehicle.
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

Received my refund cheque on Sept. 04, dated July 15, for $8.51..... WOW!!!!!

Return to “B.C.”