Christy Clark wants the poor to stay poor...

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Christy Clark wants the poor to stay poor...

Post by Dizzy1 »

lakevixen wrote:that happens anyways , with out min wage increases , you really think things cost same as 1o years ago? lol

I have no problem with inflation, it happens and in many cases, those of us who have decided to make more than minimum wage sees our wages go up as well ... if it doesn't we look elsewhere and are prepared to make the necessary changes in our life to stay ahead of the game.

I do have a problem when I have to subsidize the wages of people who simply refuse to make the same changes and sacrifices the rest of us have.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the problem is not people wanting make more money, its the greedy companies that use a higher wage as a excuse to gouge us , like banks and gas companies do
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

hobbyguy wrote:.......
If you look at that data, the states with no minimum wage (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee) or lower than the federal minimum wage (Georgia, Arkansas, Minnesota, Wyoming) are all poor, or negative performers in job growth. So if minimum wages, or higher minimum wages "kill jobs", well then the top performers for job growth ought to be those states. But they aren't. So much for the Republican meme that "higher minimum wages kill jobs". Just hafta stop listening to those guys...

What a load of crap. Minimum wage jobs are a small percentage of of the overall 'job' rate. I would suspect the national/global economy and the excessive 'green' taxes, fees ,levies, naysayers and available resources have more of an impact on regional job rates.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

hobbyguy wrote:1. McD's makes money in Australia, where the minimum wage is $16/hr. A big Mac is cheaper in Melbourne than in Vancouver...

".

Actually, not true. A 16 year old working at McDonalds in Melbourne makes $9.26/hr, so given that most McD's employees are students the McD's in Australia are actually overcharging compared to BC.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hytam/8459808455/

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

lakevixen wrote:the problem is not people wanting make more money, its the greedy companies that use a higher wage as a excuse to gouge us , like banks and gas companies do

No, the problem is a certain group of people would rather waste their time protesting the evil corporations and expecting handouts instead of using the time more appropriately and getting themselves a bigger piece of the pie.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

GEW wrote:Because they can't invest in economic development, when every proposed energy project in BC is being stalled in the courts by First Nations and radical groups like Greenpeace. It takes years to clear all the hurdles put before them.
Skills training is largely paid for by the employer anyway in the form of paid apprenticeships.
Regardless, I would prefer spending my tax dollars on skills training as opposed to handing out welfare cheques. Skills training creates additional jobs, by the way.

Still waiting to hear how Christie did it. By the way, the ITA funds apprentice training (taxes) not the employer. In fact they are subsidized by the Feds to hire apprentices. Blaming the NDP is living in "what if land".
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:1. McD's makes money in Australia, where the minimum wage is $16/hr. A big Mac is cheaper in Melbourne than in Vancouver...

".
goatboy wrote:[

Actually, not true. A 16 year old working at McDonalds in Melbourne makes $9.26/hr, so given that most McD's employees are students the McD's in Australia are actually overcharging compared to BC.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hytam/8459808455/

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx

Don't y'all be confusing HG with facts.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kgcayenne wrote:I found grocery receipts from 10 years ago. I sure wish I could get a loaf of whole wheat bread for $0.99 again, hell even $1.99 would be nice.

To bad the grain shortages from the expanded use of ethanol fuels has hit the consumer squarely in the buttocks, all in the name of going green.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:I found grocery receipts from 10 years ago. I sure wish I could get a loaf of whole wheat bread for $0.99 again, hell even $1.99 would be nice.

Rwede wrote:To bad the grain shortages from the expanded use of ethanol fuels has hit the consumer squarely in the buttocks, all in the name of going green.

So I guess it is safe to say that particular product price hike wasn't due to the increase of minimum wage from what it was then to what it is now.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gmeikle
Fledgling

Post by gmeikle »

people's ability to pay are directly related to price hikes. That's why an increase in min wage does not mean increased purchasing power
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Perhaps the Australian model makes more sense then? A graduated minimum wage for youth seems a reasonable thought.

It is an interesting topic, the effect of minimum wages. http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/08/the-magical-world-where-mcdonalds-pays-15-an-hour-its-australia/278313/http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/08/02/the-real-change-in-the-cost-of-a-big-mac-if-mcdonalds-workers-were-paid-15-an-hour-nothing/

I simply look at it from the perspective of the cost of living and all humans as having intrinsic value - 'cept maybe dyed in the wool criminals.

As the vast majority of kids haven't got the expenses, and getting them into the "real world" is valuable experience, perhaps the graduated system would serve us all, from youth who can't find a job (youth unemployment is very high) to mom and dad who could get the kid to pay for his own iPhone and the operators of McDs franchises (I have nothing against McDs - they are just a "poster child" for the industry).

Could be a win-win to have a graduated minimum wage. Certainly seems better than a "one size fits all" - well not quite "all" under BC laws.

I wonder how many employers would be looking for TFWs at $15/hr (assuming that was the minimum wage for 20+) if they could hire kids for say $9/hr?? Two birds with one stone??
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:Perhaps the Australian model makes more sense then? A graduated minimum wage for youth seems a reasonable thought.

When Gordon Campbell brought in the $6 training wage, you union flunkies screamed bloody murder.

What's changed now?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

They forgot.

Did that stick? I don't recall CayenneJr having been paid $6 at any time. I, on the other hand, remember the increase to $6 in the 90s.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

4 billion extra debt and wooing the Chinese. Kudos Christy, he says reeking of sarcasm.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Rwede - The difference, as always, is in the details. Gordo's was a discount on the existing minimum wage.

What I am suggesting is that we leave the existing minimum wage as a starting point "training wage" and boot the minimum wage at 20 yrs old to $16/hr or more. $9.26 AUD isn't all that far off our current minimum wage. Then in future, when minimum wage increases are necessary, all "brackets" go up in lock step.

The trick of course, would be to ensure that employers didn't rort the system by firing any worker who turns 18 etc. - but then our wunnerful business folks wouldn't do that - oops, forgot how they rorted the TFW program...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”