Christy Clark wants the poor to stay poor...

Veovis
Guru

Re: Christy Clark wants the poor to stay poor...

Post by Veovis »

lakevixen wrote: show us a mcdonalds that has gone broke in bc? id love see them go out of business, as anyone that sells poison as food should be in jail really, but as that wont happen i think they should break even with employees paid as much as possible

Go down by the bridge and look at the thriving Mc'D's there then.

I'm surer the reply will be that they closed as it became a bad location, and you'd be right. They closed before going broke. What do you think all the rest will do stay open till bankrupt?

GrooveTunes wrote:You ignored the main point of less for the shareholders instead of jacking prices up.

In other words just tax the investors and give it to someone else. Does this tune ever change?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote: show us a mcdonalds that has gone broke in bc? id love see them go out of business, as anyone that sells poison as food should be in jail really, but as that wont happen i think they should break even with employees paid as much as possible

Good idea. Why don't you start up a business, pay your employees as much as possible, and YOU can eat out of the dumpster and live in a cardboard box because you are "breaking even."

Brilliant!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Good idea. Why don't you start up a business, pay your employees as much as possible, and YOU can eat out of the dumpster and live in a cardboard box because you are "breaking even."

Brilliant!
yea i would expect you to stick up for a company that sells poison lol
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

lakevixen wrote: yea i would expect you to stick up for a company that sells poison lol

Hey, no one has ever been forced to eat McD's. Great thing about a free country, if someone wants to kill themselves with fast food, have at 'er.

If someone wants a lifetime of eating Kale, have at 'er too!
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

goatboy wrote:Hey, no one has ever been forced to eat McD's. Great thing about a free country, if someone wants to kill themselves with fast food, have at 'er.

If someone wants a lifetime of eating Kale, have at 'er too!

Oh I'm sure there's more than a few children that get dragged into that place by there parent/s with little to no choice.

Anyway, as for the topic, I can't really imagine trying to survive on minimum wage $20k a year, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for things if it was actually bringing up the standards for the people collecting minimum wage.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

django wrote:Oh I'm sure there's more than a few children that get dragged into that place by there parent/s with little to no choice. Dragged??? No Choice??? Oh! the drama...Mon Dieu

Anyway, as for the topic, I can't really imagine trying to survive on minimum wage $20k a year, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for things if it was actually bringing up the standards for the people collecting minimum wage. It's called donating...have at 'er
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

django wrote:
Anyway, as for the topic, I can't really imagine trying to survive on minimum wage $20k a year, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for things if it was actually bringing up the standards for the people collecting minimum wage.

So you don't mind things costing more for the minimum wage earners either? It's a cycle that doesn't improve their standard of living. The way to that is education and higher paying careers. Minimum wage jobs are for students and those starting out. If people are trying to live on their own or raise families with these jobs then they are in the wrong job.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

So you don't mind things costing more for the minimum wage earners either? It's a cycle that doesn't improve their standard of living. The way to that is education and higher paying careers. Minimum wage jobs are for students and those starting out. If people are trying to live on their own or raise families with these jobs then they are in the wrong job.

funny thing is what company lowers prices, price going up no matter what
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

lakevixen wrote:

funny thing is what company lowers prices, price going up no matter what

Wal-Mart, but then they're evil too, right?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

matai wrote:So basically, if minimum wage increase, you're affraid because YOU get poorer compared to minimum wage workers. I see. Like other said, that would be your own probkem. And solution would be to make yourself to the top.

That's right, minimum wage goes up, cost of living goes up, that means my spending dollar is shrinking ... I don't like that.

I've made the decision to get ahead (financially) in life, I went to school, I've moved, I've sacrificed, now I'm making a wage that allows me to live the lifestyle I'm comfortable with. I didn't go to mommy and daddy and whine and snivel, I didn't go to the Government and whine and snivel ... I got off the couch and did something ... I was proactive. I really don't understand why people just don't get this most simple of concepts anymore.

The sad thing is that I'm willing to bet that most of these lazy *bleep* basket cases had ancestors that came here pennyless on a boat from elsewhere and worked their *bleep* off to make a better life for their kids and grandkids and this is the attitude they get as thanks. Pathetic.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

1. McD's makes money in Australia, where the minimum wage is $16/hr. A big Mac is cheaper in Melbourne than in Vancouver...

2. As a policy issue, if you want economic growth, and especially for smaller independent businesses (as opposed to multinational corpses), increases in minimum wages have a very positive effect. http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cepr-blog/raising-the-minimum-wage-does-not-kill-jobs-preliminary-evidence-from-2014

"Goldman Sachs conducted a simple evaluation of the impact of these minimum-wage increases on state employment levels. Goldman Sachs compared the employment change between December and January in the 13 states where the minimum wage increased with the employment change in the remainder of the states, where the minimum wage remained constant. They concluded that “January's state-level payrolls data failed to show a negative impact of state-level hikes (in the minimum wage). Relative to recent averages, the group of states that had hikes at the start of 2014 in fact performed better than states without hikes. While this is only one month's data, it suggests that the negative impact of a higher federal minimum wage--if any--would likely be small relative to normal volatility.”

And an update to that: http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cepr-blog/states-that-raised-their-minimumwage-in-2014-had-stronger-job-growth-than-those-that-didnt

If you look at that data, the states with no minimum wage (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee) or lower than the federal minimum wage (Georgia, Arkansas, Minnesota, Wyoming) are all poor, or negative performers in job growth. So if minimum wages, or higher minimum wages "kill jobs", well then the top performers for job growth ought to be those states. But they aren't. So much for the Republican meme that "higher minimum wages kill jobs". Just hafta stop listening to those guys...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

hobbyguy wrote:If you look at that data, the states with no minimum wage (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee) or lower than the federal minimum wage (Georgia, Arkansas, Minnesota, Wyoming) are all poor, or negative performers in job growth. So if minimum wages, or higher minimum wages "kill jobs", well then the top performers for job growth ought to be those states. But they aren't. So much for the Republican meme that "higher minimum wages kill jobs". Just hafta stop listening to those guys...

You are asking a lot from the uptighty-righties on that one.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

That's right, minimum wage goes up, cost of living goes up, that means my spending dollar is shrinking ... I don't like that
that happens anyways , with out min wage increases , you really think things cost same as 1o years ago? lol
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I found grocery receipts from 10 years ago. I sure wish I could get a loaf of whole wheat bread for $0.99 again, hell even $1.99 would be nice.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “B.C.”