Flaggers, construction signs, etc.

jimmy4321
Guru

Flaggers, construction signs, etc.

Post by jimmy4321 »

For a long long time I've noticed "Construction" signs left on roadside when there was no construction taken Place.
I've noticed "Construction speed" limit signs when there was no construction taken place.
I've seen "Prepare to Stop" signs when there was no flagger in sight.

Of course this was either after operating hours or weekends.
The problem with leaving signage out like this when there is NO reason creates a Cry wolf situation where people eventually take these speed limits or Warning signs less seriously or ignore them completely. Creating a danger for those these signs are there to protect and anyone else in the vicinity.
Some provinces require these signs be removed immediately when not active and the fines are steep,i think workers comp enforces this. Also many areas require a 6ft staff for a Slow/Stop sign for flaggers with minimum standards on sign size etc. ,not a ping pong paddle that sometimes held at chest level

Do these laws exist in BC and just not enforced ?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Flaggers,Construction signs etc.

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm not sure if they exist in BC or not, but yeah, I agree and IIRC, it is part of that Construction Safety Training program that so many people are taking.

Also, not to hijack your thread but in relation to the topic of flaggers. The flaggers on Kal Lake Rd in Vernon really need to pay attention and stop the cyclists who think they have stop sign doesn't apply to them when there is single lane traffic and all of a sudden they're faced with an on slaught of oncoming traffic with no place to go.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Flaggers,Construction signs etc.

Post by mexi cali »

Totally agree. Maybe we do it the way we do here because of the cry wolf syndrome you mentioned. The cops know that people eventually will simply stop paying attention and then BLAM!! speed traps. Show me the money.

The speed zone around the Nancee Way zone overpass/underpass/bypass or whatever it's going to be is a prime example.
Little to nothing going on on the actual highway but there is an enforced speed zone that many don't take seriously so it is like shooting fish in a barrel for the traffic enforcement crew.

I understand that the slower speed is needed however in the interest of overall safety but commuters don't necessarily see it that way.

It makes sense that if there is no active work, before or after hours or weekends, the zone should be returned to whatever the posted speed limit normally would be. That's how we do it with school zones, not that it really works there for some but for most of us, we are capable of understanding the difference between posted hours and we conduct ourselves accordingly.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “B.C.”