Martin Mars Petition

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Martin Mars Petition

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

*removed*

2003 was a fire in the summer, in mountainous landscape, during a heat spell, with high winds playing a huge role, almost point for point the same as the recent Smith Creek fire, yet they got the upper hand without the MM in the arsenal.

You really should be more selective about picking your battles.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Considering the variables in forest fires, my point with Rwede was that just because the Smith Creek fire didn't involve the loss of homes and the OK Mountain Park fire involved the loss of hundreds, I don't think those two facts "prove" anything about the better plane, however I think the Martin Mars is better suited fighting forest fires in a museum.

Likely because of the close proximity to OK lake the OK Mtn Park fire was likely very suited to the MM.

I think the biggest difference between the two fires didn't involve the types of aircraft, but the fact that Forestry decided to delay the attack on the OK Mountain Park fire, which was attributed to it increasing in size so fast. The Smith Creek fire, I think was 680 acres, the OK Mountain Park fire was over 61,000 acres.

There were 7 Canadair CL-215s, 4 L188 Electras and the Martin Mars.

But we should blame the loss of homes on the MM ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

If the Hawaii II can be sold to a country whose terrain is better suited to its use as a forefront firefighting craft, then that would be excellent. It would keep the old bird flying and it would be a more effective tool for the user. The AT-802F and other less massive craft are much more surgical for our mountainous terrain. Just keeping the Martin on standby for the right fire really doesn't make sense when other options are more versatile. Romantic yes, practical not really.
I birn quil I se
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:But we should blame the loss of homes on the MM ?

I don't think Lone Wolf is blaming the loss of homes on the MM. Instead, he was making the point that the MM is not the Great Saviour that some people think it is.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

my5cents wrote:But we should blame the loss of homes on the MM ?

Glacier wrote:I don't think Lone Wolf is blaming the loss of homes on the MM. Instead, he was making the point that the MM is not the Great Saviour that some people think it is.

Exactly!

Though the person above appears to disagree, there's nothing wrong with the logic I used, in that point for point the 2003 and Smith Creek fires were virtually identical, save for overall size, yet given the extreme wind gusts during the Smith Creek fire it had the capability of growing just as well as the Kelowna Mountain fire, which was also a heck of a lot smaller when it began, than what it was when all was said and done.

I find it somewhat puzzling that with no loss of property, there were all these Smith Creek area complainers on the news, whereas even with all the toll it took, the Kelowna Mountain fire saw nothing but very grateful citizens on the news.

A very strange species these humans.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glacier wrote:The old petition game. Overwhelming numbers of ignorant knee-jerk reactionaries.

The problem with democracy in a nutshell. There's more stupid out there than smart. Always has been.
Your bias suits you.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Would everyone who signed the petition please send $50.00 to the government taxation branch with a note voicing your willingness to pay for your less than financially responsible desire to keep the Martin Mars in the air. I see no reason that I and other similar thinking people should have to pay for your extravagant decision.

After you have bought it park it somewhere where you can spend your summer holidays sitting in it and daydreaming about dropping water on fires and saving the people.

Return to “B.C.”