Transgender Law

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Transgender Law

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think it would be wiser to leave off making decisions like this until the age of majority, or past puberty far enough that the hormones have all settled down.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

By all accounts he/she hasn't reached puberty yet, so hormones would not be running amuck. In this case this has been going on many years already. not some rash decision.

Why wait? he/she just wants the gender on the passport changed? What harm could that do, compared to the harm of having you gender misidentified everytime it comes up.
On a different forum
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Daspoot wrote:By all accounts he/she hasn't reached puberty yet, so hormones would not be running amuck. In this case this has been going on many years already. not some rash decision.

I'm confused, don't the hormones have a direct correlation to sexual tenancies or preference? Isn't it the hormones that "create" a male or a female...or traits there of? If the hormones are not "running" yet, then it's the mental aspect deciding the direction. At that point,in my opinion.....can it be trusted?
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

jennylives wrote:I am a parent and I disagree with you. Neither parents nor professionals have all the answers. Some parents, and some professionals are pretty dumb. It takes a community to raise a child. Children need support from both inside and outside of the home.

Let's put it this way then. PARENTS should be taking the lead in raising their child....in noticing aspects that require professional help. An 11 year old is still under the care of a responsible parent(s). I agree, children need support from both inside and outside of the home, but the majority from inside the home! Society is making it too easy for parents to shun responsibility, or make it appear that they can do a better job than a parent in certain cases.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Lady tehMa wrote:I think it would be wiser to leave off making decisions like this until the age of majority, or past puberty far enough that the hormones have all settled down.

Absolutely. Certainly children should be encouraged to explore and question and be supported in that, but allowing children to make permanent life-altering decisions at age 11 is the height of parental irresponsibility (IMHO). Most people wouldn’t allow a child to get a tattoo at that age, but sex reassignment ??? Good grief people (again, just my opinion).
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

She's not undergoing surgery. All she wants is to take advantage of a new law that allows transgender people to change the sex listed on their birth certificates without having surgery.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

oneh2obabe wrote:She's not undergoing surgery. All she wants is to take advantage of a new law that allows transgender people to change the sex listed on their birth certificates without having surgery.

Not quite to sure if that's ok though.

Did you know, that the instant I decide I want to become a woman, I have the right to use the women's washrooms...the women's change rooms etc. even though I look like a man, have all the man parts.....I just have to have decided. Ladies....what do you think of that?

I believe giving the rights to one ( which is a debatable right) removes rights from those that have them in the first place. It's going TOO far!
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Man I love it when people read 6-7 words of the article, then read 10% of the posts, then post based on the wealth of information they've gathered. it's almost as great as people who build strawmen the size of Vancouver Island.

Well at least I don't have to bother responding to some of those posts as anyone with 1/2 a brain will have discounted those posts immediately.

.... a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
On a different forum
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Daspoot wrote:Well at least I don't have to bother responding to some of those posts

Peeeeerrrrrfect!
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Except for you honey, I'll always reply to you.
On a different forum
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Daspoot wrote:Except for you honey, I'll always reply to you.

Dang..............................................
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

Lady tehMa wrote:I think it would be wiser to leave off making decisions like this until the age of majority, or past puberty far enough that the hormones have all settled down.

I can certainly understand that argument.

But I think it fails. Who among us was questioning our gender (not our sexualty) but our very gender identity at eleven?
I'd say none of us, unless there was some biological reason why our body didn't line up with our mind.

And that's exactly what happens to these people. For some reason, their physical reality doesn't line up with their mental projection.

And who the hell are we to look down our nose at these people? It's ignorance, and dare-I-say, macho-stupidity that disallows these people to pursue their own happiness - a human right.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

So the question on this Transgender Thread becomes; "Which man or woman is Daspoot (himself? herself?) referring to as "Honey"?

Two of the possible combinations would be off topic and two would be on topic. But if one or both of the two persons mental sexuality differed from their physical sexuality there would be sixteen possibilities. How many of them would result in a pair that were comfortable with their own identity and comfortable with having each other as a spouse?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

When I was 11 I had a trans-species identity crisis. My mind said I was a cow... until my parents threatened to eat me for dinner.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

simnut wrote:Not quite to sure if that's ok though.

Did you know, that the instant I decide I want to become a woman, I have the right to use the women's washrooms...the women's change rooms etc. even though I look like a man, have all the man parts.....I just have to have decided. Ladies....what do you think of that?

I believe giving the rights to one ( which is a debatable right) removes rights from those that have them in the first place. It's going TOO far!

I think you mis-spoke when you said "the instant I decide I want", that isn't indicative of any change just a desire to change.

As for change rooms and group bathrooms, if I was a female, I believe I'd be safer in a change room with a male homosexual than a female homosexual, so the gender of the person sharing the facility isn't as important as their sexuality.

For those who are confused about gender and sexuality.... They are two completely different things. There are many many transsexuals who change to the opposite sex but are still attracted to their former opposite sex. ie, a man becomes a woman, he, as a man, was sexually attracted to females. He is now a she and the new "she" is still attracted to woman, so in reality is now a lesbian.

As for changing one's sexual description on an official document, I don't think anything should be changed until the physical body is changed.

As for doing so when the person is at young age, that is very very questionable. Even an adult, at any age, before they are allowed to take on gender reassignment surgery they must go through a battery of psychological tests from various medial professionals. Even after all that testing in some cases it has been found that years later the change was a mistake.

It's a tough question, though because the perfect time to alter one sex is before puberty, but it's not the best time for a child to know what they really want to be,,,, be that a male, female, jet pilot, firefighter, nurse, rodeo clown,,, you get the picture.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”