Tailings Contaminate Lake

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Tailings Contaminate Lake

Post by Merry »

I recently came across an article discussing corporate political donations to the Provincial Liberal Party and, buried in the article, I found this gem:

the 2014 Award for Incredibly Bad Taste in Donations goes to Imperial Metals, owners of the Mount Polley mine.

The spill may have been toxic, but Imperial's cash wasn't. The mining company donated $7,150 to the Liberals, including a $1,500 cheque in October and another for $250 in November.

Those last two might have been better put to cleaning up the spill rather than currying political favour. Hey, here's an idea: the Liberals could turn the money over to local efforts at coping with the spill's aftermath. Just thinking out loud.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dermodtrav ... h-columbia
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Water – The Heart of the Problem at Mount Polley Mine...

http://www.thegreengazette.ca/industry- ... lley-mine/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Under the circumstances I don't believe there should be any money changing hands. It just looks like a pay off.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I see that the Red Chris mine (which is owned by the same company as Mt. Polley) just received permission to officially open
A controversial gold and copper mine in northwestern British Columbia has received a full operating permit from the provincial government.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e25042263/

Does anyone know whether or not any or all of the recommendations referred to in the following article were implemented prior to them receiving the Government approval? (My bold)

An independent review of Imperial Metals’ Red Chris mine tailings dam design, demanded by the Tahltan First Nation after the Mount Polley collapse, has identified several key concerns.

The review by Klohn Crippen Berger — paid for by Imperial Metals — found the Red Chris tailings facility design is feasible if constructed properly.

However, a major design issue is the “high permeability” of the soils the two major earthen dams will be built on, according to the review obtained by The Vancouver Sun.

The high permeability of the soils means if a fine-grained “tailings blanket” does not stop seepage, it could cause stability problems and allow significant water to leak from the storage facility, states the 50-page report.

KCB is recommending that during early stages of building the tailings storage facility in remote northwest B.C., near the tiny community of Iskut, that Imperial Metals’ designers need to monitor the water balance carefully “to prove their design concept.”

KCB also found the historic Kluea landslide, whose crest is about 300 metres from the eventual mine pit rim, is poorly understood. The landslide potentially could let loose and hit the mine site, resulting in an uncontrolled release of acidic and process water, said their report.

KCB has recommended additional investigation, analysis and risk assessment of the slide.

In making 22 recommendations, KCB noted that “any failure of the Red Chris impoundment will likely have a much more significant environmental impact than the Mount Polley failure.”

Unlike the Mount Polley gold and copper mine, whose tailings are considered relatively benign, the tailings at Red Chris are considered acidic and can leach potentially toxic metals into the environment.

The mine will release untreated mine water into a creek that eventually flows into the salmon-bearing Stikine River.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... story.html
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-spill-report-released-by-b-c-information-and-privacy-commissioner-1.3135555

Mount Polley mine spill report released by B.C. Information and Privacy Commissioner

"A report released by B.C.'s Information and Privacy Commissioner about the Mount Polley Mine disaster last summer reveals that the province had information that indicated a potential safety risk that it did not disclose to local residents — but it didn't have to do so."

https://www.oipc.bc.ca/investigation-reports/1814 INVESTIGATION REPORT F15-02

Commissioner Denham in the report indicated that the ministries responsible had information about the mine but that informationdid not meet provincial requirements to share the risks to residents. However, they did have information about two events — a tension crack and a "freeboard incident" — that they could have disclosed nonetheless.

"With today's report, I have concluded that urgent circumstances are no longer required to trigger proactive disclosure where there is a clear public interest in disclosure of the information," said the commissioner Elizabeth Denham in a written statement. She conclude that section 25(1)(b) should not be interpreted to require an element of temporal urgency in order to require the disclosure of information that is clearly in the public interest pursuant. Currently the act states Section 25 of FIPPA "requires a public body to immediately disclose information where there is a risk of significant harm to the environment or to the health or safety of the public or a group of people, or where that disclosure is clearly in the public interest and provides guidance on how to convey this information" This has usually been interpreted that disclosure should occur only with immediate risk, not with the possibility of risk.

It is clear that the both from the report and from information reported by the press that the Ministry of Mines did have information about two events — a tension crack and a "freeboard incident" — that they could have disclosed this information but chose not to do that. They also had information that Mt Polley was being operated regularly outside its permit of operation especially where the tailings pond was concerned. The Commissioner is recommending that "Public bodies must proactively disclose information, pursuant to s.25(1)(b),where a disinterested and reasonable observer, knowing what the information is and knowing all of the circumstances, would conclude that disclosure is plainly and obviously in the public interest."

The Mines Minister Bennett has announced that the Mt Polley mine will reopen during July. This re-opening coincides with the recess of the legislature for the summer. This means that the government can not be questioned about the reopening nor can it explain the permit and conditions that allows this reopening. Since Cabinet and the government will not react to the Commissioner's recommendation until after the legislature reconvenes, the conditions governing the reopening of the Mt Polley mine will remain a secret.

http://www.mining.com/decision-on-mt-polley-mine-re-opening-imminent-b-c-mines-minister/

Decision on Mt Polley mine re-opening ‘imminent’: B.C. mines minister

Before commenting I would urge contributors to at least read part of the referenced documents above. When the information presented in these documents is put together the following conclusions become evident:

- The Ministry of Mines knew that the Mt Polley mine was operating outside of its permit with respect to the tailings pond.
- The Ministry was aware of a tension crack and a freeboard incident and their possible implications to dam integrity. While the tension crack did not appear to be the result of internal "water" erosion, their appearance did indicate that some form of sloughing or material movement was occurring.
- While under the present regulations the Ministry was not required to release information BEFORE the tailings dam collapse the, disclosure of information in relation to the failure of the tailings pond dam meets the first step of the analysis in that it represents a sufficiently clear public interest to justify the disclosure of such information. However, the Commissioner indicates that there is not an urgent or compelling reason, under the present interpretation of the regulations, to disclose this information since the government has set in motion three investigations into the Mt Polley disaster. It is this second part of the regulations that the Commissioner is recommending be changed.
- That the Ministry is not will to outline to the public or stakeholders the permit conditions and regulations that will govern the reopening of the Mt Polley mine.

Unfortunately the current interpretations of regulations surrounding FIPPA are designed to keep the public in the dark. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The excuse about not knowing the soil below the dam is a lame azz excuse. The dam breached because they weren't building the walls thick enough and sloped enough to hold back that amount of water. The "unstable soil" below the dam had nothing to do with it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I would say the government failed British Columbia and I believe they still are.

We should know exactly what is happening at Mount Polley when it re-opens. What was required and done to get the permit.

The current reporting requirements should be changed as the commissioner says. We the people of British Columbia deserve to have this information.

Shutting down for their break before these things are looked after is wrong at the best and more likely a way to cover up all they can while hoping it all goes away.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 2nd, 2015, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

If that dam had broken during the day, instead of in the middle of the night on a stat holiday, many people would have been killed. So how the Ministry can justify not warning folk of the possibility of such a disaster defies logic.

Quesnel Lake is a popular fishing spot. If fishermen and other tourists, and/or mine workers, had been in the path of that deluge, can you imagine the dreadful outcome that would have ensued?

Both the Government and Imperial Metals were incredibly lucky that the dam broke when it did, because the timing of the incident is the ONLY reason there was no loss of life. But to, all this time later, still be trying to "sweep the whole incident under the rug" is not only disgraceful, it borders on the criminal in my opinion.

Just because there was no actual loss of life, does not alter the fact that negligence on the part of BOTH the company AND the Government resulted in harm to the environment, as well as the potential for harm to innocent people. And yet, despite that, NOT ONE PERSON HAS BEEN HELD TO ACCOUNT for what happened. To the best of my knowledge, no fines have been levied against either the company or any of the individuals involved and, for the most part, they all plan on returning to "business as usual".

It's disgusting, it really is!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

X 10. They are covering their own butts and that is all they are doing. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the donations the company has made before and since the disaster. What a crock of bull.

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The British Columbia government has issued a conditional permit allowing the Mount Polley mine to reopen, but with restrictions.

Mines Minister Bill Bennett said Thursday the permit is the first of three steps the mine must take before it can be authorized to operate fully.

He said Mount Polley Mine Corp. must submit a long-term water treatment and discharge plan to the government by next June.

The tailings dam at the central B.C. mine breached last August, and 24 million cubic metres of mine waste and water gushed into area lakes and waterways.

An independent government-ordered report concluded the spill was caused by poor dam design, which didn't account for drainage and erosion failures associated with glacial till beneath the pond.

The company estimates it will take about 30 days before it can start production, with up to 220 workers on site.
Imperial Metals Corp. (TSX:III) vice-president Steve Robertson said he expects Mount Polley Mine Corp. to immediately recall up to 30 workers.

He said the conditional permit fits the company's intention to have Mount Polley operating permanently within a year.

"The strategy here is to be able to do this temporary work plan in order to give us the time to get in place a long-term water management plan and discharge plan," Robertson said. "We expect to be able to go back to the government in the fall with a proposal for a full-time restart of the mine."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#143828

One of the largest mining spills in history, yet not one person has been held to account, nor have any fines been levied.

Although it has been shown that poor dam design was a contributing factor, everyone involved in the mining industry knows there is a lot more to the story than that. It is absolutely disgraceful that those responsible for what happened appear to be going to be allowed to get away with it. And even more disgraceful that the majority of the Public don't appear to care.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Merry you are right on,

" Although it has been shown that poor dam design was a contributing factor, everyone involved in the mining industry knows there is a lot more to the story than that. It is absolutely disgraceful that those responsible for what happened appear to be going to be allowed to get away with it. And even more disgraceful that the majority of the Public don't appear to care."

Unfortunately, the legislature is not in session or perhaps some questions would be raised.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i was right i predicated early on this thread no one would be held to account . clark needs be booted out now . the sad thing as erin points out is no one on the right is even posting here
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

In today's political climate it is not easy to get public support for new mines; but the Government's short sighted irresponsible refusal to hold anyone accountable for what happened at Polley has made getting such support even more difficult than before.
Long-held perceptions of Canada as a country with strict environmental standards and B.C. as a province that values natural beauty are taking a near-fatal beating in Southeast Alaska, where many now regard Canadians as bad neighbours who are unilaterally making decisions that could threaten the region's two major economic drivers.

Fishing and tourism -- each billion-dollar industries -- are the lifeblood of Southeast Alaska, where glaciers sweep down into rivers home to five species of wild salmon and massive snow-covered peaks tower over fertile wetlands.

Tourism accounts for 10,900 jobs in the Alaska Panhandle and salmon fishing employs 7,300 people.

Air and water are the only ways into communities such as Juneau, the state capital, and almost seven million hectares, or three-quarters of Southeast Alaska, are within the Tongass National Forest, where industrial activity is limited.

But, upstream, in northwest B.C., there is a new-style gold rush with an unprecedented number of applications for open-pit gold and copper mines, some made viable by construction of the Northwest Transmission Line and all requiring road access.
Alaskan politicians, tribes, fishing organizations and environmental groups have come together in a rare show of unity to condemn B.C.'s push to approve mines close to major transboundary salmon rivers, such as the Stikine, Taku and Unuk, which run from B.C. into Alaska. Tensions are running so high the groups are asking the International Joint Commission, designed to resolve Canada/U.S. water problems, to step in.

Canada is increasingly viewed as a "bad actor," whose record -- most recently illustrated by the Mount Polley mine tailings dam collapse -- shows that the province's environmental regulations and oversight is not strong enough to protect downstream communities.

"It's the new wild west," said Heather Hardcastle, a commercial fisherman and co-ordinator of Salmon Beyond Borders, pointing out that, even though Alaska has nothing to gain and everything to lose, Alaskans are being denied meaningful input into mine decisions.

10 Advanced Mining Projects in Northwestern B.C.

The new mines include Imperial Metals' Red Chris, a copper and gold mine operated by the same company that owns Mount Polley, and Seabridge Gold's massive KSM (Kerr-Sulpherets-Mitchell) mine, 30 kilometres from the U.S border and Misty Fjords National Monument, which will open up mining of the largest undeveloped gold reserve in the world. KSM has provincial and federal environmental assessment approval and is waiting for permits.

According to B.C.'s Ministry of Energy and Mines there are 10 advanced projects in the northwest corner of B.C. and numerous others in exploration phases.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/desmog-can ... h-columbia

I, my adult children, and many of my friends derive our income from mining, so I whole heartedly support the industry. Modern society would not have many of the products we use every day were it not for mines. However, as unsafe practices not only jeopardize our environment, but also put the lives of my friends and loved ones at risk, I expect my Government to do what they can to prevent such behaviour, and hold accountable any companies or individuals found to have broken the law.

What happened at Mount Polley was the result of human error and therefore preventable. Yet neither the company, nor any individual, has been held accountable in any way for what happened there. No wonder the Alaskans have doubts about our Government's ability or willingness to do whatever it takes to protect their economy. Because it would appear that the only people our Government are interested in protecting are themselves, and those who donate to their campaigns.

Mining can, and should, be done in a responsible manner. And it is up to the Government to punish any company or individual who violates that principle. This has not happened in the Mount Polley case, and it is disgraceful.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yes it is sad it may take another country to guide the bc goverment in the right direction .

Return to “B.C.”