Another First Nations blockade

Xia33
Übergod

Re: Another First Nations blockade

Post by Xia33 »

I think, if they had their druthers, the natives would rather we had not shown up in the first place.
And, I also think we should honor the treaties that we formed as interlopers.

Of course they would....but that isn't the way it happened, is it? And can you, or I, change history? No...So...if pretty much all of BC is inherantly native lands, what happens to the "pale faces" as you so aptly put it? When does it all end? I completely agree that what happened way back then in history should never have happened....but are we, our kids, and the generations to come to continue to pay for our ancestors' mistakes? When even they didn't know any better? Should the natives be handed all of BC? Would that make it better? If so, for whom?
There are an awful lot of hard feelings on the part of many "pale faces" regarding many issues including immigrants and the concessions given by this government across the board....and this sort of thing doesn't make things any better in the separation of Canadians and their thinking.
Talk about holding people by the short hairs.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

Xia33 wrote:Of course they would....but that isn't the way it happened, is it? And can you, or I, change history? No..

You act as if history is a closed book. It isn't.

Why shouldn't the natives band together to change history?
Why shouldn't they rise up and challenge the white mans' environmentally destructive ways?

I'm sure you've heard of the seven generations way of seeing our current choices...
Do we - as supposed enlightened, modern men - take seven generations into account, when we make our rash decisions to turn a quick profit? I think not.

And I also think that if we're not careful, we'll prove Fermi's paradox true.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

You act as if history is a closed book. It isn't. THAT part of history is over, it is done, and it cannot be corrected.

Why shouldn't the natives band together to change history? Are they banding together? Are all of the same mind? because no matter how much the white man, so to speak, complains they/we are definitely not of the same mind
Why shouldn't they rise up and challenge the white mans' environmentally destructive ways? I never said anyone should not challenge environmentally destructive ways.

I'm sure you've heard of the seven generations way of seeing our current choices...no, I am sorry, I have no idea about that....but I am sure you will enlighten me
Do we - as supposed enlightened, modern men - take seven generations into account, when we make our rash decisions to turn a quick profit. I think not. I know I don't think about 7 generations back in my family....I know they worked hard and had difficult lives, fought for and loved this country....but they were not as "enlightened" as in this day...they did what they had to to survive.

And I also think that if we're not careful, we'll prove Fermi's paradox true
man has done and is doing a lot of damage, without question...and yes, most of it is for profit. I have no idea who Fermi is or what the paradox is and don't care, to be frank.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

coolworx wrote:And I also think that if we're not careful, we'll prove Fermi's paradox true.

Fermi's paradox isn't a true/false thing. It is nothing to prove true.....it is simply a contradiction.

If you mean that a possible explanation of the paradox (that intelligent life will destroy itself), which is what I assume you are meaning, then that is fine but it doesn't "prove" it.
You and 71 others Like this post
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

LANDM wrote:Fermi's paradox isn't a true/false thing. It is nothing to prove true.....it is simply a contradiction.

If you mean that a possible explanation of the paradox (that intelligent life will destroy itself), which is what I assume you are meaning, then that is fine but it doesn't "prove" it.

True enough.
Fermi was merely asking the question.
Why?

I think a logical conclusion (given the current state of affairs) is that intelligence is parabolic, while wisdom plods along at a snails pace.

We create vast systems to solve our problems, not realizing that we create larger problems to be solved by our progeny, in the process.

Once we decided to live outside of natures limits, we created a treadmill of which we can never escape.
Or else we can.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

During the time before the white man came to Canada, did a band ever "conquer" another and take over that land as their own? (given that to this day there are plenty of bands that can't agree on which one has ancestral rights to major parts of the province, I think we know the answer to that question). Or did they live in complete harmony for all that time?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

coolworx wrote:At the end of the day, all us palefaces don't belong here, and have basically F'd up the place with our "progress and technology".

For eight thousand flipping years, humans lived here on the west coast in balance.
White folks show up, and within 200 years the salmon are decimated, the waters are too polluted to drink, and now we're taking off the tops of mountains.

I'm sorry, but all you Rah! Rah! Western Culture folks are plum damn fools in the long run.

Their way of life only works if they don't have a population that grows. If all Canadians were natives practicing the native ways the fish and game animals would have been gone a long time ago, there would be no treated water, sewage treatment, hospitals, vehicles, electricity, and so on. It wouldn't work.

There are many natives who have the choice of living exactly the way their ancestors did on vast reserves, but how many do? Picture how many products of the white man natives enjoy using every day. How many times have you ever heard one being thankful that the white man produced them?

It's one thing not to want pipelines and logging and railways through your land, but when you drive vehicles and want houses and manufactured products, the protest loses merit.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zoo wrote: Has a single first nations ever proposed an end agreement, no. A happy ending, no. An agreement they would sign off on, no.An end to monies, funding, land control?

Actually, the answer to your question is "yes". Yes, one Nation has already signed off on a final agreement and other Nations are following suit. I expect that within five years, certainly no more than ten, all Nations in BC will have agreed to treaties.

Nisga'a Final Agreement

The Nisga'a people have lived in the Nass River Valley since time immemorial. In the late 1800s, when much of Nisga'a traditional territory was declared Crown land, the Nisga'a people began petitioning government to recognize our connection to and ownership of Nisga'a territory. In 1998, a signing ceremony at New Aiyansh signaled the completion of a quarter century of negotiations and the birth of the Nisga'a Final Agreement, British Columbia's first modern treaty

http://nisgaalisims.ca/nisgaa-final-agreement

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/110010 ... 0100016429

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... age-1.html
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 7th, 2014, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: repost without the racist comments
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 7th, 2014, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic personal attack
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Would Indians be happier without the wheel and with life expectancies of 25 - 30 years?

Perhaps not.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

coolworx wrote:
At the end of the day, all us palefaces don't belong here, and have basically F'd up the place with our "progress and technology".

For eight thousand flipping years, humans lived here on the west coast in balance.
White folks show up, and within 200 years the salmon are decimated, the waters are too polluted to drink, and now we're taking off the tops of mountains.

I'm sorry, but all you Rah! Rah! Western Culture folks are plum damn fools in the long run.

Why are you still here then?

This year is scheduled to be the biggest salmon run in recorded history.
Greenwood BC had the best water in the world in the 2012 contest.

Why are you trying so hard to stretch the truth?
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Why should they?

At the end of the day, all us palefaces don't belong here, and have basically F'd up the place with our "progress and technology".
You mean the progress and technology that has extended our life expectancy, provided comfort and freedoms. Like the computer you are using. The gun you hunt with, the boat you fish in. Seems every one enjoys all that's offered but then blames it all for their situation. choice is yours and others. If you don't like it and disagree with it, move. Live in the mountains far up north away from it all.

For eight thousand flipping years, humans lived here on the west coast in balance. Actually north american tribes were at a state of warfare even before Columbus showed up. Tribes fought for territory, food, and women as slaves. google it.
White folks show up, and within 200 years the salmon are decimated, the waters are too polluted to drink, and now we're taking off the tops of mountains. Again hope your enjoying all the products made by our mining that makes your products. The wood that is milled from those mountains as well to provide you with warmth and a safe home.

I'm sorry, but all you Rah! Rah! Western Culture folks are plum damn fools in the long run.[/quote]
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 8th, 2014, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic insult
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

coolworx wrote:
How is what the natives are doing any different than our current sanctions against Russia?
They feel they're not being listened to, and are protesting in a way that they can.

Yup, in a way that only they can. For some reason, it's illegal for any other race of Canadian to protest the same way. Of course if it was the other way around it would be racism.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “B.C.”