First Nations file suit against BC

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

First Nations file suit against BC

Post by maryjane48 »

“The British Columbia Treaty Process is a broken system that fails to recognize established legal principles, traditional protocols, and our title and rights. By this lawsuit, we intend to put the province’s pattern of dishonourable and unlawful conduct before the court.”

Their issues stem from the province’s decision to sign an “Incremental Treaty Agreement” with the Ktunaxa Nation Council – one that would transfer approximately 241 hectares of land near Nakusp.

They say the province did not consult with the ONA before signing the agreement, despite the fact that the area includes important village sites, hunting grounds, and cultural heritage sites for the ONA communities and their members

lets see how christy handles this :P

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/120773/ ... against-BC
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: First Nations file suit against BC

Post by Glacier »

There is a land dispute over the Arrow Lakes area, so this is he Okanagan First Nation's way of trying to win this land claimed by both First Nations.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

When First Nations cannot even agree amongst themselves as to what is their traditional territories are, it does not bode well for any kind of resolution of land claims. Currently the areas claimed by BC's First Nations amount to 135% of BC's total footprint.
Suppose that means the rest of us will either have to move away or be tenants on First Nations land.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Cant say I never warned the government when that ridiculous payout was made a few weeks ago I said your opening up a can of worms here
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote:“The British Columbia Treaty Process is a broken system that fails to recognize established legal principles, traditional protocols, and our title and rights. By this lawsuit, we intend to put the province’s pattern of dishonourable and unlawful conduct before the court.”

Their issues stem from the province’s decision to sign an “Incremental Treaty Agreement” with the Ktunaxa Nation Council – one that would transfer approximately 241 hectares of land near Nakusp.

They say the province did not consult with the ONA before signing the agreement, despite the fact that the area includes important village sites, hunting grounds, and cultural heritage sites for the ONA communities and their members

lets see how christy handles this :P

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/120773/ ... against-BC

This has to do with two groups of Indians fighting for the same handout.

If I were Christy Clark, I'd put the original amount of the settlement into the care of the court and let the Indians fight over it. And let them pay for their own lawyers, too!

Or better yet, tell both groups of Indians to screw off. This is CROWN land, not Indian land.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

Rwede wrote:

If I were Christy Clark, I'd put the original amount of the settlement into the care of the court and let the Indians fight over it. And let them pay for their own lawyers, too!

Or better yet, tell both groups of Indians to screw off. This is CROWN land, not Indian land.

Absolutely right, Rwede.
Bumblebuns
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Rwede wrote:

Give a coin toss, let the two tribes fight for it. Enough already they don't even know where their ancestors lived. Maybe there is some truth they were seconds!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In the days before the White Man arrived they used to settle these sort of land disputes with a good old fashioned aZZ whooping. No need to sue a third party, just show up with spears and kick butt.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

twobits wrote:When First Nations cannot even agree amongst themselves as to what is their traditional territories are, it does not bode well for any kind of resolution of land claims. Currently the areas claimed by BC's First Nations amount to 135% of BC's total footprint.
Suppose that means the rest of us will either have to move away or be tenants on First Nations land.

Because of the recent ruling by a disoriented judge, this could legally become a reality. The bands who are now winning these settlements have the right to even disallow the government on their land without permission, so could legally boot every non-native out of BC if they all get their settlements. I guess this is how civil wars start.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “B.C.”