Pastafarian fights to wear colander for DL

my5cents
Guru

Pastafarian fights to wear colander for DL

Post by my5cents »

Interesting News item on CTV Vancouver this morning.

A young man by the name of Obi Daniel Canuel says that ICBC is denying his right to religious expression. Canuel presented himself at a Motor Licensing Office to obtain a driver's license renewal wearing a pasta strainer on his head. ICBC refused to take a photo of him for his driver's license with the pasta strainer on his head.

He maintains he is a "Pastafarian" and that he gets solace from wearing the headgear.

I think he has a very good and strong point. Who can say what is and what is not a religion. If one religion can wear headgear in their DL photo, who's to say another can't.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

'Pastafarian' fights to wear colander in Driver's Licence

Post by Glacier »

Published Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:50AM PDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:53AM PDT

An unusual religious headwear battle has hit a boiling point in Surrey, B.C., where a “Pastafarian” is fighting for his right to wear a colander in his driver’s licence photo.

Obi Canuel, who is an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, says the Insurance Corporation of B.C. is denying him the right to be able to wear the spaghetti strainer on his head.

The 36-year-old says he believed he would be able to wear the kitchen accessory when he renewed his licence last fall because ICBC affirms the right to religious expression.

But, the insurer disagreed. In a letter, they told him “there is no religious requirement that prohibits you from removing the colander for the purpose of taking the photo to appear on your driver’s license.”

ICBC said its religious head covering policy strive to strike a balance between respect for the driver’s religious beliefs and a need to preserve the integrity of the licensing system.

The company said it would not issue a new driver’s licence with the colander photo, but encouraged him to go into any office and have a free colander-free photo taken – and a new licence would be issued.

“The truth is sometimes I have the spiritual inkling to wear the colander and I don’t think ICBC should be making decisions about what kind of religious headgear is appropriate or not,” Canuel told CTV Vancouver.

Strangely, a photo of Canuel wearing the exact same strainer on his head was approved for his new B.C. Services card.
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was created nine years ago by a U.S. man to satirize certain aspects of creationism. It follows a belief that an undetectable flying pasta creature created the universe after “drinking heavily.”

As it gained popularity in the media, the Flying Spaghetti Monster became a symbol against intelligent design used in the public education system.

At least four countries, including the U.S., allow Pastafarians to wear colanders in their driver’s licence photos.

Canuel documented his struggles with ICBC in a YouTube video titled "Dear ICBC: Where is my license?"

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Re: 'Pastafarian' fights to wear colander in Driver's Licenc

Post by Atomoa »

Same guys that crashed the gay pride parade and handed out anti-homosexual flyers I believe.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/anti ... l-letters/
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I noticed that he wasn't allowed to were his " straight jacket" for the photo opt.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

The guy handing out the anti-gay hate mail at the parade should have his colander pushed slowly to the ground with him under it, the resulting spaghetti-like extrusions would probably make for good compost.
On a different forum
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Daspoot wrote:The guy handing out the anti-gay hate mail at the parade should have his colander pushed slowly to the ground with him under it, the resulting spaghetti-like extrusions would probably make for good compost.

Ok, now I'm worried!!! First time I and Daspoot agree!!! Oh noooooo...........
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:Same guys that crashed the gay pride parade and handed out anti-homosexual flyers I believe.

Why would an evangelical try to get their drivers license photo taken under the religion of FSM? It was used in the pride parade, along with a fake website, so their float would be approved and they could pass out their hate.

Aside from that, the dude really enjoying himself in the pink at the parade is Bill Whatcott while the guy trying to get a license is Obi Canuel.

I hope Canuel succeeds and I love what he is doing. The demands of other religions are just as ridiculous and I love how those who warship his noodley appendage are demonstrating that.

RAmen.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Atomoa wrote:Same guys that crashed the gay pride parade and handed out anti-homosexual flyers I believe.

I don't think the two are related. Just both relate to pasta
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

simnut wrote:Ok, now I'm worried!!! First time I and Daspoot agree!!! Oh noooooo...........

Let's see, that would make you a Pro-Republican, Harper fan, in favour of chopping what's left of environmental regulation, anti Boonstock, pro low speed limits, anti PIB, anti tourism, anti fun in the valley, in favour of rules pushed on the entire population to control statistically insignificant numbers of people, and worried about criminal drug gangs running rampant if pot is legalized.

But if you can't stand anti gay idiots, well i'm good with that 1 outa 10 ain't bad....

:D
On a different forum
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I believe that anyone should have the right to practice their religion within reason (RCMP head dressing comes to mind - the world didn't end).

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Atomoa on Aug 14th, 2014, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

FSM is a parody religion set up by atheists to show the ridiculousness of them.

Where on Earth do you get the idea they are anti-gay?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

What did I miss? The anti gay people pretended to be FSM?

Edit - looks to be that way. No worries.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:What did I miss? The anti gay people pretended to be FSM?

Edit - looks to be that way. No worries.

Lol. I was wondering. Yes, the anti-gay "Christians" pretended to be FSM so their parade float would be accepted and they could distribute their hate but they are definitely not affiliated.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

jennylives wrote:Lol. I was wondering. Yes, the anti-gay "Christians" pretended to be FSM so their parade float would be accepted and they could distribute their hate but they are definitely not affiliated.

Yes - now I'm aware of the FSM. Funny stuff and I like the message.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hmmmm, sounds like a "dumb but harmless" category to me.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “B.C.”