Kinder Morgan and Burnaby

twobits
Guru

Re: Kinder Morgan and Burnaby

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote: us here in bc have to much experience in dealing with foolish companies.

I think the overall electorate spoke quite clearly when the NDP, ahead by 20 points, blew the last election by trying to go with those of you that "have to(o) much experience".
People do care about things being done properly. They also care about the environment. But if you think the majority are on board with your radical position, you are sadly mistaken. Reasonable people understand responsible tradeoff. Your position is not one of compromise and stewardship but rather one of an eco freak entrenched in a non negotiable position that does not understand what butters the bread of the services they enjoy like education, health care, roads, ect ect ect.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ,,,

15/10

(the extra 5 is for persistence)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

An emergency response plan for the proposed $5.4-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion will remain secret in British Columbia — even though a similar plan was recently made public in Washington state.

Kinder Morgan president Ian Anderson defended his company's decision to publish a heavily redacted version in B.C., saying disclosure of the plan wasn't required by the National Energy Board.

"We in no way want to have this perceived lack of transparency around our emergency response plans as any indication of us wanting to hide anything or keep anything a secret," Anderson said Friday.

"There are very real security concerns that we have with respect to posting our full and complete plans where critical valves and critical access points to the system are delineated."

He said regulation is different in neighbouring Washington, where the Department of Ecology recently published online Kinder Morgan's detailed emergency response plan for that section of the pipeline.

The company has promised to make its full emergency response plan available to the B.C. government, as well as municipalities and first responders along the pipeline route — but not to the public.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/133478/Public-spill-plan-not-required
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

who do you think represents the public?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

alfred2 wrote:who do you think represents the public?

lol im sure we can route a pipeline through your yard , then you could listen to the dilbit rushing through :P
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 21st, 2015, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: personal attack
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

alfred2 wrote:who do you think represents the public?

There's a general tendency in the US that all matters of public record are publicly available. In fact, outside of matters of national security, a US citizen can gain access to pretty much anything filed with their state or federal government. Government-collected data is considered public data and available publicly. Government agreements, that don't relate to security, are publicly available.

Perhaps you don't think that you should or would need access to a contractually-agreed to plan between we the people and Kinder Morgan. Perhaps you think that information on valve placements and types should be obscured. Perhaps you don't think that operational procedures should be available for scrutinization by others.

I personally think that such information should be available and open to scrutiny by anybody who so desires to scrutinize it. There are other means to handle security other than through obscurity. In fact, that obscurity is generally the worst means to handle security.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Usually first thing that comes to mind for me is what do they have to hide, if they feel their spill plan is a good plan. Then make it known to all the residents of the Province of BC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

36Drew wrote:

I personally think that such information should be available and open to scrutiny by anybody who so desires to scrutinize it. There are other means to handle security other than through obscurity. In fact, that obscurity is generally the worst means to handle security.

Sure, let's tell all the wackjobs where the most effective valve to plant a bomb would be. Or where spill response equipment and supplies will be located so they can be torched thus requiring a shutdown of operations due to the inability to respond to a true accident.
Obscurity is sometimes an integral part of security plans. As much as you might feel your "right to know" is sacrosanct, it is not. There are countless examples of where information should only be disseminated on a need to know basis.
Your tax dollars contribute to police and security in this Country. Ask the Police to give you their plans and resources for countering a threat. Beyond the superficial,they will tell you to pound salt. Ask your Bank, a private corporation, to tell you about their security and resources to deal with threats. They will tell you to pound salt as well. But somehow, in your mind, the oil companies should be obligated to divulge information that could be exploited by eco whackjobs with a remote detonator bought off the internet, some bags of fertilizer, and some diesel fuel.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/152467/ ... pipe-fight

Poor eco terrorists have lost. My favorite part is that the City of Burnaby, after losing completely, will have to pay Kinder Morgan's court costs. Didn't just lose but got spanked as well. No doubt there will be more eco terrorist illegal actions before all is done and maybe more illegal blockades. I know that Stewart "Blockade" Phillip will be there. Never would miss a blockade.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “B.C.”