BC should use Norway's drunk driving laws

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC should use Norways Drunk driving laws

Post by Donald G »

It is interesting to see how serious many people are now taking both distracted driving and impaired driving.

Both injure, maim and kill people.
abbyrugby

Post by abbyrugby »

wanderingman wrote:Look you people keep confusing a person whom is talking on a cell phone while driving and a person driving down the road shitfaced(drunk) as one and the same.Are you people really that stupid to actually believe that?there just not anywhere near in the same category not anywhere near

Why.....................because you said so?

If what you say is true....................everyone on here is stupid and you're the only smart one.

Remember wanderingman, there's always one weirdo on the bus..................if you can't spot him, it's probably you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Well said.

And let's be clear here, impaired and sh@tfaced are not the same thing. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather have an impaired guy who shared a bottle of wine at dinner with his wife than a guy who's texting driving behind me. Neither are ideal but even aggressive drivers watch the road.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Impaired by alcohol or a drug and distracted driving *IS* very similar as far a your brain in concerned.

Your single processor can not switch back and forth fast enough, or in a timely enough manner, to deal with the double, triple and possibly quadruple information it is being fed by your eyes and ears.

Denying that fact is to try to deny you are human and have a human brain.
zzontar
Guru

Re: BC should use Norway's drunk driving laws

Post by zzontar »

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... 17800.html

Studies have suggested that texting on a cell phone while driving increases the risk of a collision by 23 times. Talking on cell phones while driving has been found to increase the risk of collision by four to six times.
A 2004 study found that using a cell phone while driving is as bad as or worse than driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In Ontario so far this year there have been 50 fatalities due to distracted driving. There have been 30 caused by impaired driving.

So there are conclusive studies showing distracted driving can be much worse than drinking and driving, and also conclusive evidence that pot is a much lighter drug than alcohol with therefore a much less effect on driving, so what does Ontario do?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... 29786.html

Notably, the punishment for driving under the influence of drugs will be matched to those already in place for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Does this include meds? If it does, they're going to have to hire a lot more cops.

Where a police officer is satisfied that a person driving or having the care, charge or control of a motor vehicle or operating or having the care or control of a vessel meets the criteria set out in subsection (2), and where the officer reasonably believes, taking into account all of the circumstances, including the criteria set out in subsection (2), that the person’s ability to operate a motor vehicle or vessel is impaired by a drug or by a combination of a drug and alcohol, the officer shall request that the person surrender his or her driver’s licence.

Yet if your driving was even more impaired because you were texting, you can be on your way again. How does this make sense?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To zzontar ...

How can such a simple concept be hard to understand?

1. Drunks stay drunk long after being checked.

2. Once a driver puts the phone down they are no longer distracted.

Lord save us from those who do not think and please help those who can not think.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Type_O wrote:Seems extreme, ridiculous even, "not driving for life".

It is completely fair. What seems ridiculous is drunk driving and possibly killing someone for life.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:To zzontar ...

How much time do you have? ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

1. Drunks stay drunk long after being checked.

2. Once a driver puts the phone down they are no longer distracted.

Lord save us from those who do not think and please help those who can not think.

Hmm, so distracted driving causes more collisions and deaths than drinking and driving, but because they can put the phone down it should be less of a fine. With that logic, you should be able to watch TV or read a book while driving because you could always turn the TV off or put the book down. Personally, I'd rather have someone on the road who's had a few but actually watches the road because everyone's driving abilities are the same when they're not watching the road... the same as having a bunch of people on the road who alternate between having vision and being completely blind.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Dizzy1 wrote:How much time do you have? ;)

Perhaps you could help explain how drinking and driving is worse than texting and driving then.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^ I've already shared my viewpoints in this thread. I was just showing Donald the courtesy and give him a chance to free up his schedule :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Dizzy1 wrote:^^ I've already shared my viewpoints in this thread. I was just showing Donald the courtesy and give him a chance to free up his schedule :)

Ah, just trolling... makes sense now.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To zzontar ...

To the innocent victim run down by a drunk or distracted driver the difference is likely viewed as one kills you and the other makes you dead. Do you understand that simple concept?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

To the innocent victim run down by a drunk or distracted driver the difference is likely viewed as one kills you and the other makes you dead. Do you understand that simple concept?

Yeah, so?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

How far do we want the definition of "distracted driving" to go" Alcohol and driving is a no brainer. Texting and driving is a no brainer. Drug impairment and driving is a no brainer. News of late says that John Law is also going to crack down on lap dogs and people eating while driving. I get that and applaud the new initiative if applied with merritt. But let's be real people. Talking on a cell phone is not texting. To me it is no different than having a conversation with a passenger in the vehicle.
If we are going to bust people for eating while driving, where do we draw the line? Does a coffee or pull of a bottle of water also qualify? Is there a difference between fries pinched between your legs, a burger in your face, and a Big Gulp in the hand that is on the steering wheel vs. eating a power bar? Will changing a CD or lighting a smoke also make us distracted/impaired? Be very careful about how much big brother you want determining what is reasonable.
If some of you well intentioned people have your way on distracted driving, it will be illegal to transport one or two infants or toddlers in a vehicle cuz as a parent of four children, I can unequivocally say there is little that is more distracting to driving than one puking and the other one having a hissy fit while trying to make it to daycare and the job on time. I'll take someone talking on a cell phone in traffic behind or beside me over that scenario any day of the week.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”